[comp.lang.forth] Basis Document Question

mccarrol@emerald.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>) (08/07/90)

I just received the Basis document that was distributed to the net.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to Microsoft Word. But, in
a surge of desparate curiosity and insanity, I've sat down, and
I'm in the process of muddling through the Works file, converting it
into a TeX document so that I can print it.

I'm NOT doing a perfect job - I'm sure that I've made many mistakes,
particularly in the idea of being unable to distinguish comments from
the rest of the text. (It's hard to tell what's what if you don't
even know what Works file format is like. I think that I've at least
got the italics the same as Word...)

Anyway, what I'm wondering is: How would the Basis folks feel about my
posting my TeX'ed version, provided I include all Ansi copyrights, and
a prominent disclaimer that this is NOT official, and that it is
likely to contain slight errors. I think that a lot of folks would
really appreciate getting the document in this format, but I don't
want to do anything contrary to the will of the Basis committee.

Please, do NOT send me email requesting this beast. If I receive
permission from the committee, then I will post it. If I don't get
permission, then I will not even give the slightest consideration to
answering your mail.

	<MC>
--

ZMLEB@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV (Lee Brotzman) (08/08/90)

>Anyway, what I'm wondering is: How would the Basis folks feel about my
>posting my TeX'ed version, provided I include all Ansi copyrights, and
>a prominent disclaimer that this is NOT official, and that it is
>likely to contain slight errors. I think that a lot of folks would
>really appreciate getting the document in this format, but I don't
>want to do anything contrary to the will of the Basis committee.

   I don't know how the "Basis folks" would feel about it, but I know
I don't want to see another half-Megabyte of mostly-useless text flow
through the FIGI-L list again.  I say "mostly-useless" because the original
was restricted to one word-processor format and transmitted with Unix and
PC specific protocols.  TeX formatted material would be only "partially
useless" since it is more widely used among computer people and can be
transmitted as plain text.
   FIGI-L is an international list that is connected to a very wide variety
of computers.  JAX sending that half-Megabyte of crap through the system has
caused Mailer software and human Postmasters at several sites to bounce
all kinds of stuff back at me.  I've been cleaning up after JAX's mess for
the past three days.
   The least JAX could have done is give some kind of warning about the
sudden flow that he intended to dump on the net, and try to gauge how
much interest there was.  The best thing he could do with his generosity
was to set up an anonymous FTP for it, rather than force thousands of
computers to swallow the stuff, uninvited.

>Please, do NOT send me email requesting this beast. If I receive
>permission from the committee, then I will post it. If I don't get
>permission, then I will not even give the slightest consideration to
>answering your mail.

   You could also try asking the net if it wants you to post it, and
look around for an anonymous FTP that would accept it, rather than shove
it down our throats.
   By the way, how much time have you spent on this MS Word -> TeX conversion
and was it really worth it, considering that for just $10 you could have gotten
a printed version from Elizabeth Rather at Forth Inc.?

>|Mark Craig Carroll: <MC>
>|Student SysProg - LCSR

-- Lee Brotzman (FIGI-L Moderator)
-- BITNET:   ZMLEB@SCFVM          Internet: zmleb@scfvm.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- I'm only a contractor, don't blame me for the tax rates and don't blame
-- the government for my statements.

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (08/09/90)

mccarrol@emerald.rutgers.edu (Mark C. Carroll <MC>) writes:

>Anyway, what I'm wondering is: How would the Basis folks feel about my
>posting my TeX'ed version, provided I include all Ansi copyrights,

	I think they would view that with more horror than trepidation.

	Mark, good work and thanx for your offer, but for $10.00 you
can have the damn thing printed correctly from this address:

	ANS/ASC X3/X3J14 Technical Committee
	111 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 300
	Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

	Even though we *are* Forth programmers, let's not confuse
anyone anymore than we have to!

	PS ... I believe that  WRITE.EXE  in MS Windows 3.0 will
also display that document fair-to-middlin'.

 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GEnie             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\

skip@rafos.UUCP (Skip Carter) (08/14/90)

	I'm FOR the poster that wants to distribute the BASIS document
in TEX format.  I have to go through a rather convoluted route to be able
to read the official document, since I am NOT a PC user.  Maybe the committee
should reconsider the format for the OFFICIAL posting of such an important
document !

Skip Carter			UUCP:	uunet!rafos!skip
School of Oceanography	    INTERNET:   skip@rafos.gso.uri.edu
University of Rhode Island     Phone:   401-792-6519
Narragansett, RI 02882