[comp.lang.forth] Chuck Moore and Forth

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/13/90)

Category 18,  Topic 53
Message 6         Fri Aug 10, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 00:20 EDT

Re: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips)

 > It would seem that entering ascii (or any single character entry
 > scheme) would require more effort than regular typing.

Chuck has been using his 3 key keypad for quite some time.  Yes, it is more
combersome to learn than a keyboard, but then remember that Chuck is willing
to lower himself to the computer's level in order for him to speak to it more
effectively.  At one time, he was even considering wistling to his computer.
<smile>

Basicaly, the 3 key approach allows you one selection in a menu of 7 items.
Each menu is then layered into another that gets you to what you need.  As far
as I can remember from when I saw him using it, he rarely needs to enter
ASCII, but when needed, each letter is a series of key presses.  I'm not
surprised that he has stopped displaying the menus, since the whole system
needs to be memorized if he is going to be efficient at it.

 > I take it that he was using a custom key device, not just a
 > standard PC or Workstation type keyboard?

His keyboard connects directly to his chip as 3 individual input bits.  That
way, he can just scan the input bits at whatever frequency works best for him.

It is not a question of efficiency, but one of minimal interface.

Just Chuck's style.   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (08/14/90)

In <1516.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us>, D.RUFFER [Dennis] writes:
> Chuck has been using his 3 key keypad for quite some time.  Yes, it is more
> combersome to learn than a keyboard, but then remember that Chuck is willing
> to lower himself to the computer's level in order for him to speak to it more
> effectively.  At one time, he was even considering wistling to his computer.
> <smile>
> [...]
> His keyboard connects directly to his chip as 3 individual input bits.  That
> way, he can just scan the input bits at whatever frequency works best for him.
>
> It is not a question of efficiency, but one of minimal interface.
>
> Just Chuck's style.   DaR

As I recall from the transcript of his last GEnie RTC appearance he was
pretty sure that 3-key input was all that one needs, but perhaps he was
just talking about himself (I got the impression otherwise, but...).

I've always wanted a one-handed chord keyboard plug-compatable with
PC's and workstations, but clearly what CM is talking about is quite
different.

-Doug

---
Preferred: ( dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us  OR  ...!{sei,pitt}!willett!dwp )