[comp.lang.forth] Standard systems vs. standard programs / As an aside

rajuk@cow.umr.edu (Raju Khubchandani) (08/16/90)

In article <11977@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ir230@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (john wavrik) writes:

>Let's imagine a time in which people around the the world have reached
>the stage where, for world commerce, it would be desirable to produce
>a Standard for arithmetic.
>
>The state of affairs:  In Babylon a numeration system with base 60 is
>     in use, Arabia has used a base 10 system, the Hexians have used
>     base 16 while their neighbors, the Booleans, have used base 2.
      ( rest deleted )

The problem seems similar to the world being stuck with 60 min./hour,
12 hour/half-day, 7 days/week & 28/29/30/31 days/month and 12 months/year.

The airlines, railways etc. went their own way and do not use the
12 hour/half-day, but define a 0.00 hrs. to 13 hrs. to 23.59 hrs.

Somebody suggested a easy to calculate metric calendar with 100 min./hour
100 days/month 10 months/year or something similar. Wonder when we will
have a good standard ! Maybe, when the Martians come !

Raju