[net.movies] BTTF Nov 5, 1955 specialness

dday@gymble.UUCP (Dennis Doubleday) (10/04/85)

I'm not sure if anyone has yet pointed this out, but a few minutes
of sleuthing the other day led me to the discovery that Albert Einstein,
author of the Special and General Theories of Relativity, died in 1955.
Surely this must be a reason for picking that year to time travel back
to.  Unfortunately, he died April 18, not November 5, so I still haven't
found a reason for the date.  Maybe they simply chose Nov 5 because they
knew that was the night that the Honeymooners episode with Ralph as a
spaceman (?) premiered (just speculating, I don't know).

--

UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!dday    Dept. of Computer Science
CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland

robert@hpfcla.UUCP (10/04/85)

On Nov 5, 1699, Gulliver arrives in Lilliput.

		-Robert (animal) Heckendorn

rlz@scgvaxd.UUCP (Jeffry T. Rimpau) (10/08/85)

> I'm not sure if anyone has yet pointed this out, but a few minutes
> of sleuthing the other day led me to the discovery that Albert Einstein,
> author of the Special and General Theories of Relativity, died in 1955.
> Surely this must be a reason for picking that year to time travel back
> to.  Unfortunately, he died April 18, not November 5, so I still haven't
> found a reason for the date.  Maybe they simply chose Nov 5 because they
> knew that was the night that the Honeymooners episode with Ralph as a
> spaceman (?) premiered (just speculating, I don't know).
>

> --
>
> UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!dday    Dept. of Computer Science
> CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland
> ARPA:	dday@maryland				 College Park, MD 20742
> 						 (301) 454-4247
According to the Honeymooner's Guide, the Nov 5, episode was "The
Sleepwalker".
The "Spaceman" episode was the New Year's Eve show on Dec 31, 1955.

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/08/85)

>> 	UNIX will be half a billion (500000000) seconds old on
>> 	Tue Nov  5 00:53:20 1985 GMT (measuring since the time(2) epoch).
>		      ^^^^
>		      2,3 and 5? 2 + 3 = 5
>		      5, __, 23? Where's the 17?

Fnord.

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (10/09/85)

-=-

On a hunch, was November 5 one of the days that the time traveller in
H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine" went back in time?  I recall that it was
snowing at the end of the movie as his friends all left his house for the
last time--it might have been November.  This could be the origin of all the
oblique November 5 references....

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-
Strip, foul...pick, travel, stall...violation against the spirit of the game.

pmm1920@ritcv.UUCP (Paul Meyerhofer) (10/09/85)

> I'm not sure if anyone has yet pointed this out, but a few minutes
> of sleuthing the other day led me to the discovery that Albert Einstein,
> author of the Special and General Theories of Relativity, died in 1955.
> Surely this must be a reason for picking that year to time travel back
> to.  Unfortunately, he died April 18, not November 5, so I still haven't
> found a reason for the date.  Maybe they simply chose Nov 5 because they
> knew that was the night that the Honeymooners episode with Ralph as a
> spaceman (?) premiered (just speculating, I don't know).
>
> UUCP:	{seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!dday    Dept. of Computer Science
> CSNet:	dday@umcp-cs				 University of Maryland
> ARPA:	dday@maryland				 College Park, MD 20742
> 						 (301) 454-4247

   Maybe this is why Dr. Brown's dog was named Eistein, too?!

tomczak@harvard.ARPA (Bill Tomczak) (10/11/85)

In article <588@linus.UUCP> cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) writes:

>On a hunch, was November 5 one of the days that the time traveller in
>H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine" went back in time?  I recall that it was
>snowing at the end of the movie as his friends all left his house for the
>last time--it might have been November.  This could be the origin of all the
>oblique November 5 references....

Sorry, no.  I know the book was VERY explicit about the date being right
at the turn of the century.  I believe the movie also was fairly clear
about this with many references to Christmas and New year.

Bill Tomczak@harvard.{ARPA, UUCP}

tomfi@tekig4.UUCP (Tom Fitzpatrick) (10/11/85)

I'm not certain, but it seems to me that 1955 was chosen simply because it
is 30 years before 1985. I don't know why they chose Nov 5.

						The Spitzer

ccrrick@ucdavis.UUCP (Rick Heli) (10/17/85)

> -=-
>
> On a hunch, was November 5 one of the days that the time traveller in
> H. G. Wells' "The Time Machine" went back in time?  I recall that it was
> snowing at the end of the movie as his friends all left his house for the
> last time--it might have been November.  This could be the origin of all the
> oblique November 5 references....

Well, in the movie, if you'll recall, he left at on New Year's
Eve.  Remember his friend berating him for commemorating the turn
of the century alone?  I don't recall a month & day being
mentioned in the book...  I'll have to check.
--
					--rick heli
					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!ccrrick)

m1b@rayssd.UUCP (M. Joseph Barone) (10/22/85)

> Well, in the movie, if you'll recall, he left at on New Year's
> Eve.  Remember his friend berating him for commemorating the turn
> of the century alone?  I don't recall a month & day being
> mentioned in the book...  I'll have to check.
>					--rick heli
>					(... ucbvax!ucdavis!ccrrick)

	In the book, his delta time was measured only in days, not
as a particular month, day, and year.  And he didn't make stop-overs
in World Wars I, II, and III.

Joe Barone,	{allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5}!rayssd!m1b
Raytheon Co,	Submarine Signal Div., Box 330, Portsmouth, RI  02871