[comp.lang.forth] OOP book?

DAVID@PENNDRLS.BITNET (08/18/90)

All of this talk of OOP FORTH extensions makes me realize that my
understanding of OOP is so superficial that my (up to now, at least)
rejection of OOP is really out-of-hand and not an informed rejection.
Can somebody recomend a good book on the *theory* of OOP (not a
programming manual for this-or-that OOP language) so that I can
make an *informed* rejection :-)?

-- R. David Murray    (DAVID@PENNDRLS.BITNET, DAVID@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU)

skip@rafos.UUCP (Skip Carter) (08/21/90)

In article <9008180334.AA11985@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DAVID%PENNDRLS.BITNET@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:
>All of this talk of OOP FORTH extensions makes me realize that my
>understanding of OOP is so superficial that my (up to now, at least)
>rejection of OOP is really out-of-hand and not an informed rejection.
>Can somebody recomend a good book on the *theory* of OOP (not a
>programming manual for this-or-that OOP language) so that I can
>make an *informed* rejection :-)?
>
>-- R. David Murray    (DAVID@PENNDRLS.BITNET, DAVID@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU)

To: DAVID%PENNDRLS.BITNET@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Subject: Re: OOP book?
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth
Bcc:

A friend of mine suggests:

	Object Oriented Design With Applications, by Grady Booch,
Benjamin Cummings Pub,  1991

	(Thats not an error, the copyright date IS next year !)
--
Skip Carter			UUCP:	uunet!rafos!skip
School of Oceanography	    INTERNET:   skip@rafos.gso.uri.edu

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (08/23/90)

In article <9008180334.AA11985@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, DAVID@PENNDRLS.BITNET writes:
> All of this talk of OOP FORTH extensions makes me realize that my
> understanding of OOP is so superficial that my (up to now, at least)
> rejection of OOP is really out-of-hand and not an informed rejection.
> Can somebody recomend a good book on the *theory* of OOP (not a
> programming manual for this-or-that OOP language) so that I can
> make an *informed* rejection :-)?
>
> -- R. David Murray    (DAVID@PENNDRLS.BITNET, DAVID@PENNDRLS.UPENN.EDU)

Try _Object Oriented Concepts, Databases and Applications_ by Kim & Lochovsky.
It just blew into our library here & is still on the new books display, so
I can't say much about it.  I can say that it isn't small (about 1" thick)
and also, don't flame me for OOP; I'm not a die-hard.  I am interested though.

See you   Ronn