[comp.lang.forth] Separation of code and data space

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (08/21/90)

> Second, I think that the requirement for separate dictionary and code
> spaces is overly restrictive and unnecessary.

It can be awfully handy for several environments:

a) ROM/RAM systems.
b) "Harvard architectures" with separate code and data storage
c) Turnkey applications where you may want to selectively remove
   headers.
d) Brain-damaged segmented architectures like the one that F-PC
   has to run on.

Mitch

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (08/24/90)

In <9008230615.AA28602@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM writes:
> > Second, I think that the requirement for separate dictionary and code
> > spaces is overly restrictive and unnecessary.
>
> It can be awfully handy for several environments:
>
> a) ROM/RAM systems.
> b) "Harvard architectures" with separate code and data storage
> c) Turnkey applications where you may want to selectively remove
>    headers.
> d) Brain-damaged segmented architectures like the one that F-PC
>    has to run on.

I agree with your points.  What I was trying to say is that a separate
dictionary should not be *required*.  As many others have pointed out,
the abstraction that the dictionary provides is to map words into
code "objects".

-Doug

---
Preferred: ( dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us  OR  ...!{sei,pitt}!willett!dwp )