[comp.lang.forth] BASIS 12

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (08/04/90)

	There follow many, many postings constituting BASIS12
in MicroSoft PC Word5.0 [TM] format, archived, split, uuencoded
and shared.

	Unshar xaa thru xbi, cat, uudecode and un-arc and you
have ... well, an unreadable document unless you have Word.

	Enjoy!

 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GEnie             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (08/08/90)

I have already received one EMail request for an ASCII version of
BASIS12.  It ain't gonna happen.  I have asked Dennis Ruffer for the
exact same thing.  His reply was that the formatting information was
too critical to the understanding of the document and that taking it
out (in order to make straight ascii) was just infeasible and undesirable.
The idea of converting it to Tex is interesting, but given that the document
will be valid for 2-3 more weeks indicates a need for speed that makes
me leary of the utility.   I think that BASIS12 was made available ONLINE
too late to be of much more than passing interest.  Given that the TC
is trying to wind down, and that they've already adapted to Word, I suspect
that they aren't real interested in changing that around.  Of course, getting
BASIS13 ONLINE in a more timely fashion would at least allow volunteers the
time to reformat and submit for redistribution approval a version which might
be useful as an electronic copy.   I do not speak for the TC on this.
I would LOVE to be shown wrong, but I do not hope too highly.

-Doug

---
Preferred: ( dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us  OR  ...!{sei,pitt}!willett!dwp )
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp  [last resort: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

RAYBRO%UTRC@UTRCGW.UTC.COM ("William R Brohinsky", ay) (08/08/90)

OK, this is surely too nit-picky to get listened to, but BASIS12 is too
big for WORD for WINDOWS. Bit of a shame, since that version of
WORD seems to be later than WORD vers5. Any chance
that the BASIS document could be broken into chapters/sections/something
smaller than ~612K? I would have loved to read it... (really!)

raybro

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (08/10/90)

	A last note on BASIS12.

	If I had realised that I was going to jam mailboxes at
various sites, I certainly would have broken up the distribution
of BASIS12. For my personal ham-handedness I apologise.

	Lee, you should know better than to scold, though. Seems
to me that way back when, you were part of the "movement" to get
the BASIS online.

	Now we won. It's online. Now every Forther in the telecom world
can get it while its hot.

	Anyone who doesn't think that that means something for Forth
should just type   U  (for Unsubscribe) at the next prompt ...

 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GEnie             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (08/24/90)

This is a forwarded message.  Please do not reply via email to me.  -DWP

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 09:10:53 EDT
From: uunet!mailrus!uflorida!rm1!mclek%rmatl (Larry E. Kollar)
To: mailrus!willett.pgh.pa.us!dwp
Subject: Re: BASIS12
Newsgroups: comp.lang.forth

[ I'm mailing this instead of posting it since our news comes in MUCH slower
  than mail.  I have no idea whether outgoing news is as slow.  You can post
  this to comp.lang.forth, ForthNet, whatever, if you think it'll do some good.
]

>I have already received one EMail request for an ASCII version of
>BASIS12.  It ain't gonna happen.  I have asked Dennis Ruffer for the
>exact same thing.  His reply was that the formatting information was
>too critical to the understanding of the document and that taking it
>out (in order to make straight ascii) was just infeasible and undesirable.

Why not just use RTF format? (Rich Text Format)  It's a text-only description
of a Word document, but that uses embedded commands to preserve the format
(much like TeX in style, but sufficiently different to make the conversion
non-trivial).  The best part is that you need merely save the document as an
RTF file from Word -- no muss, no fuss.  Maybe JAX or whoever could make the
doc an RTF file before posting next one....

I'm one of the lucky few I guess; I have Mac Word & could read the DOS Word
document after a lengthy (automatic) conversion process.  UNfortunately, I
don't have enough free hard disk space to leave a 640K document hanging around;
I just printed it & deleted it.

Hope this helps.
--
                         F R E E   L I T H U A N I A