[comp.lang.forth] Billions and billions of OOFs

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (08/24/90)

As befitting the nature of the Forth community, that are as many different
schemes for object oriented Forth systems as there are users of same.

I do not know of a single instance where one Forth system implementor or
vendor has used the same object-oriented scheme as another.

The same is true for local variable schemes and to a lesser extent
for search order schemes.

The implications of this for users, and for the future of Forth, are
left to the reader as an exercise.

Mitch

jep@mtiame.oz (Jesper Peterson) (08/28/90)

In article <9008240157.AA12916@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:
>I do not know of a single instance where one Forth system implementor or
>vendor has used the same object-oriented scheme as another.

I believe the JForth (Amiga [and others?]) OO extension "ODE" is modelled
on Neon (Mac?). I don't remember what this approach was as I haven't used
it yet (I intend to), but I thought it was elegant judging from the
documentation.

Jesper.
--
ACSnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz               UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep

My favorite kill move is to befriend the opponent and have him die of old age.
            - dbn@wyvern.UUCP (Daniel B. Nissman) in rec.martial-arts