[comp.lang.forth] RTX Uploading: HELP!!!

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (08/14/90)

Hello all:

I was going thru a posting awhile back on using pacing characters with the
RTX-2001 Contest board using EBFORTH.  I was looking at the XQUIT and QUIT
definitions only to find a word named "RUN" after "QUERY".

Of course RUN isn't in the system definitions or anywhere.  So can anybody
tell me what I'm missing here.  I can't seem to get the word onto the board
because it won't accept RUN.

 Also, has anyone else had difficulty uploading stuff to this board.  I seem
to find myself unable to get anything into it except by typing by hand.
I'm using PC-Talk  . . .BTW

Hope to hear from you soon.

Ronn

rvn@forth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Rick VanNorman) (08/16/90)

In article <15263.26c6f6b2@levels.sait.edu.au>, Ronn writes:

> I was going thru a posting awhile back on using pacing characters with the
> RTX-2001 Contest board using EBFORTH.  I was looking at the XQUIT and QUIT
> definitions only to find a word named "RUN" after "QUERY".
>
> Of course RUN isn't in the system definitions or anywhere.  So can anybody
> tell me what I'm missing here.  I can't seem to get the word onto the board
> because it won't accept RUN.

The definition of RUN is headerless in the system ROM, and the source
code was accidentally left out of the manual.  Here is the source code
to RUN:

: RUN
   STATE @ IF    ]  STATE @ NOT  IF  INTERPRET  THEN
           ELSE  INTERPRET  THEN ;

: QUIT
   0 STATE !
   BEGIN
      CR QUERY RUN
      STATE @ 0= IF  ." ok " THEN
   AGAIN ;

This was patterned after the F83 model of QUIT.

>  Also, has anyone else had difficulty uploading stuff to this board.  I seem
> to find myself unable to get anything into it except by typing by hand.
> I'm using PC-Talk  . . .BTW

Internally, we have only used Procomm to talk to the board.  We set
Procomm to half duplex, and use the upload ascii file with a 1/2 second
delay for each line (and don't transmit linefeeds (0ah), only carriage
returns (0dh)).

I hope this helps.

Rick VanNorman
Lead Engineer, Software Development
Harris Semiconductor
Melbourne, Florida, USA

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au (09/04/90)

In article <1990Aug16.132954.17287@mlb.semi.harris.com>, rvn@forth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Rick VanNorman) writes:
> In article <15263.26c6f6b2@levels.sait.edu.au>, Ronn writes:
>
>>  Also, has anyone else had difficulty uploading stuff to this board.  I seem
>> to find myself unable to get anything into it except by typing by hand.
>> I'm using PC-Talk  . . .BTW

> Internally, we have only used Procomm to talk to the board.  We set
> Procomm to half duplex, and use the upload ascii file with a 1/2 second
> delay for each line (and don't transmit linefeeds (0ah), only carriage
> returns (0dh)).

Thanks for the info; you're absolutely right about PROCOMM being the ticket to
ride.  It's a very nice program, much better than PC-Talk and my two versions
of KERMIT.  I wish I had been using it previously.  Comes from my lack of use
of MS_DOS type boxes!

The program is loading nicely now & have almost had the sucker run.  I just
have to figure out how to load a table into an array using EBForth.
That's another new thing for me.  I'll give CREATE a try, but am a bit confused
about how to do repetitive things while "creating".  Anyways thanks & bye.

Ronn

ieemd@ming.cs.montana.edu (Matt Donnelly) (09/05/90)

In article <15346.26e3b9ed@levels.sait.edu.au> etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>The program is loading nicely now & have almost had the sucker run.  I just
>have to figure out how to load a table into an array using EBForth.
>That's another new thing for me.  I'll give CREATE a try, but am a bit confused
>about how to do repetitive things while "creating".  Anyways thanks & bye.
>
>Ronn

How about this for loading a table of 8 bit words in EBForth?

  : D,   1 ALLOT THERE 1- C! ;
  \ performs same function as "C," but puts data in the RTX data area
  \               not the code area
  \ D, must be used an even number of times or else the data table
  \       pointer will be left in the wrong position for 16 bit words
  VARIABLE table1
  0 D, 1 D, 2 D, 3 D, 4 D, 5 D, 6 D, 7 D, 8 D, 9 D,

Now the table is loaded with ten numbers and the variable "table1"
points to the first data location.  To retreive entry number 5, one
would use

  5 table1 + C@

This worked pretty good for us.

Matt Donnelly
ieemd@caesar.cs.montana.edu

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (09/06/90)

etrmg@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

.. <stuff> ..

>The program is loading nicely now & have almost had the sucker run.  I just
>have to figure out how to load a table into an array using EBForth.
>That's another new thing for me.  I'll give CREATE a try, but am a bit confused
>about how to do repetitive things while "creating".

	Ron ...

	I dunno if the following is still true about EBForth but
I hadn't heard that they had fixed it. Just in case, let me repeat
a posting I made in May.
	.
	.
	.

	.
	On the Harris RTX2001AEB Evaluation Board which I was shipped
as part of Phase I, GOES> is gone and DOES> doesn't.

	I called Harris Semiconductor and they forwarded me a memo
dated 5/2 from Susan Motes superceding a memo of 5/1, detailing the
correct definitions of DOES DOES> and GOES>.

	The Harris definitions are wrong.
	The following definitions are correct.

----------------------------< cut here >-----------------------------

\	CREATE ... DOES> works when you compile a table to the
\ dictionary.
\	VARIABLE ... GOES> works when the storage will be in data
\ segement.
\	The two examples, ARRAY (self-indexing cell array) and
\ TABLE (self-indexing comma-table) show correct syntax.

HEX

: DOES R> U2/ USE ;

: GOES> ( ---)
   COMPILE DOES BE01 , COMPILE @ 1 -OPT ! ; IMMEDIATE

: DOES> COMPILE DOES BE01 , 1 -OPT ! ; IMMEDIATE

: ARRAY ( #cells ---)
   VARIABLE 1- CELLS ALLOT
   GOES> SWAP CELLS + ;

: TABLE ( ---) CREATE DOES> SWAP CELLS + ;

\ i.e. ...
\           40 ARRAY FOO ok
\           0 FOO . 1 FOO . 2 FOO .
\           4300 4302 4304 ok
\           ok
\           ok
\           TABLE ZOG 1234 , 5678 , 9ABC , ok
\           0 ZOG @ . 1 ZOG @ . 2 ZOG @ .
\           1234 5678 9ABC ok
\

DECIMAL
 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GEnie             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\