[comp.lang.forth] Interpreted strings

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (09/07/90)

> I implemented " to work interactively in a dedicated scratch buffer
> of 1024 bytes ...

I believe that LMI Forth does it this way too.  This is a good scheme.
The major opposition to this scheme, and indeed nearly all "transient"
interpreted string schemes, came from a committee member who is heavily
involved in multi-user databases.  I mean hundreds of users on a system,
not just a few.  The interpreted string buffers would have to be a per-user
resource, and that can add up to a lot of memory.  Obviously, we can think
of work arounds, but this person was extremely adamant and vocal, and his
points were quite sound if you accept his constraints.

I don't want to argue the point, as I personally like the many-string
buffer approach, and use it.  I just wanted to report on the opposing
point of view.

> >I proposed that the system guarantee that at least 2 string buffers
> >of at least 80 characters each.
>
> 	too restrictive!

I have found 2 strings to be adequate for 99+% of my applications, and
I didn't think that any larger requirement had a change of passing.  As
it turns out, the 2x80 minimum requirement didn't even pass!

Mitch Bradley, wmb@Eng.Sun.COM

In article <9009071315.AA02300@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:
> multi-user databases.  I mean hundreds of users on a system,
> not just a few.  The interpreted string buffers would have to be a per-user
> resource, and that can add up to a lot of memory.

Would all these users have their own interactive Forth interpreter? If not,
the point is moot. If so, I can't think but that they must have *tiny* heaps.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

wmb@mitch.Eng.Sun.COM (09/08/90)

> > multi-user databases.  I mean hundreds of users on a system,
>
> > Would all these users have their own interactive Forth interpreter? If not,
> > the point is moot. If so, I can't think but that they must have *tiny*
> > heaps.

The proponent (Greg Bailey) claims that they do each have a Forth interpreter.
As I recall (could be wrong) they all share the same dictionary.

Mitch Bradley, wmb@Eng.Sun.COM