[comp.lang.forth] Forth Bibliography

dwpst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Douglas W Philips) (09/08/90)

In article <9009071343.AA03981@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Mitch Bradley <wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV> writes:
>Here is a partial bibliography of articles related to object-oriented
>Forth, taken from _A Bibliography of Forth References_, Third Edition,
>and a brief look through more recent publications.  This list is in no
>particular order.
>

>BORON -- Yet Another Object-Oriented Forth, Steven Lewis, JFAR 05/01 87
>
>OO Programming in Fifth, Cliff Click and Paul Snow, JFAR 04/02 86
>
>Defining Words with Class, Alan T. Furman, JFAR 04/02 86

Thanks for the information.  I see I have some reading to do.

I also see that FIG doesn't list JFAR 5/1 and JFAR 4/2.  Where can
those be gotten?  (If there is info in the other JFAR's I'll see it
when they arrive, but if not, please inform.  Thanks.)

>P.S. I would strongly encourage any serious Forth programmer to set aside
>some money for the development of a personal library of Forth publications.
>They are not often available in public libraries, and I consider
>familiarity with the literature to be a valuable (even essential)
>component of one's professional qualifications.  Let's make cumulative
>progress, rather than forever reinventing the same things!

Hear Hear.  Good idea anyway.

To get all the back issues of FD will cost you almost $200.

To get all the JFAR's FIG sells will cost you about $170.

To get all the FORML's FIG sells will cost you over $300.

Through in a couple of books and you are approaching 1K BUCK.

That's a lot for a personal library. I've been working on mine, though
slowly.  This may be one reason to consider joining or forming a local
FIG Chapter, just so you can build up a decent library.

BTW:  Aside from FIG and Offette, are there other publishers/resellers
of significant numbers of Forth materials?

-Doug

---
Preferred:  dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us,  acceptable:  uunet!willett!dwp