[comp.lang.forth] ACM SigForth

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (02/06/89)

Is anyone a member of SIGFORTH?

I'm curious as to what SIGFORTH does, if the group has been active in the
ANSI definition of Forth, if the group has any seminars or conferences and
the like.

Any and all information will be appreciated!  Thank you.

PS: Email is probably best, yes?

       [david]

--
======== David Douthitt :::: Madison, WI :::: The Stainless Steel Rat ========
FidoNet: 1:121/1 or 1:121/2            {decvax|att}!

SPROCKEL@OHSTPHRM.BITNET (Orlando Sprockel) (02/06/89)

     I know that the Dayton FIG is into the workings with more groups
     to work on a standard for FORTH. I have attended one of their
     meetings last year, and we spend time on some of the definations
     that explains the meaning for FORTH words.

     At this moment I do not remember how to contact them, but if
     you want to know some addresses, send me a E-Mail.

---Orlando Sprockel
   SPROCKEL@PHARMACY.OHIO-STATE.EDU

jax@well.UUCP (Jack J. Woehr) (02/13/89)

In article <465@madnix.UUCP> rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) writes:
>Is anyone a member of SIGFORTH?
>
>I'm curious as to what SIGFORTH does, if the group has been active in the
>ANSI definition of Forth, if the group has any seminars or conferences and
>the like.

	Dave, you must be the only Forth programmer in America who
is not digging out from under a winter avalanche of ACM SIGForth
mailings!

	The Association for Computing Machinery has started a Special
Interest Group for Forth. On Feb. 17th they will be getting together
in Austin for what is planned to be the first of many annual conventions.

	Individuals associated with the SigForth are involved in ANSI
X3J14 proceedings, but the SigForth is not itself directly involved.

	For more information, contact ACM, PO Box 12115, Church Street
Station, New York, NY 10249 (212) 869-7440.

	You might also leave a note for DANMILLER on GEnie, or email
Dave Weinstein >> olorin@vondrake.cs.utexas.edu if that address is
still good.

	Dan Miller also checks in from time to time on my BBS, number
below \/\/\/

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
{}									  {}
{} jax@well	." Sysop, Realtime Control and Forth Board"      FIG      {}
{} jax@chariot  ." (303) 278-0364 300/1200 8-n-1 24 hrs."      Chapter    {}
{} JAX on GEnie		." Tell them JAX sent you!"	      Coordinator {}
{}									  {}
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

overby@plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) (05/04/90)

In article <893.UUL1.3#5129@willett.UUCP> ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
> From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO

>        "This is the way FIG ends, not with a bang, but a whimper." :-)

Along these lines, I've always wondered why SIGForth was started, if FIG is
truly such a great organization.  Was it simply as another forum for
publication of articles?  Or was it something deeper and darker?

I joined SIGForth when I sent in my ACM membership application last year
(one of the most expensive SIGs a student member could join, too), but I've
only received one issue.  It looks like they're behind on publishing; it
makes me wonder how much material is being submitted.
--
		Glen Overby	<overby@plains.nodak.edu>
	uunet!plains!overby (UUCP)  overby@plains (Bitnet)

dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) (09/06/90)

Its been a while since I've heard any mutterings about SigForth
and was wondering what those of you that get it think.  I recall
that they had trouble getting issues published, but that was,
presumably, a temporary problem.  Is SigForth worthwhile?  What
kinds of things are written up there?

Thanks in advance for any information.
There are probably others out there who would also like to know,
so please post your replies.  I will summarize any mail I get
if I get any.

-Doug

---
Preferred: ( dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us  OR  ...!{sei,pitt}!willett!dwp )
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp  [last resort: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (09/07/90)

In article <1678.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us>, dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips) writes:
> Its been a while since I've heard any mutterings about SigForth
> and was wondering what those of you that get it think.  I recall
> that they had trouble getting issues published, but that was,
> presumably, a temporary problem.  Is SigForth worthwhile?  What
> kinds of things are written up there?

SigForth is still alive and well.  Their publications were delayed,
but they are in the process of clearing the backlog now.  The latest
issue I found in my pile is "Winter '89", which I believe
was shipped this summer.  I think the situation is that they have
the material to make up all back issues, it's just production
that is a problem.  This is a normal part of life for small
organizations, so I am not worried about it.

No doubt about it, the organization is not as mature as FIG
(but, perhaps, that's not such a bad thing...).  I think
they are targetting a different audience to serve: people
who make their living doing Forth, as opposed to Forth
hobbyists.   But, perhaps I am making unwaranted generalizations.

I belong because I like having it as a viable alternative,
and I am willing to join to help them achieve critical mass
for long-term survival.  I find the publication useful,
and enjoy the conference they sponsor (by the way, I'm
looking for papers for next year's conference...).

The magazine is not as polished as Forth Dimensions, but is
reasonably well edited, nicely typeset, and printed on good
paper.  The major limitation seems to be that they are working on getting
a flow of articles started (so, submit!, this is your chance
to get published!).

Table of contents from the latest issue of the newsletter (32 pages):
(all typos are mine!)

Articles:
Life and Death in Silicon Valley (Book Excerpt), Russell Fish
Not Screens nor Files but Words, Wolf Wejgaard, Switzerland
Rochester Forth Conference '89 Report, Larry Forsley
Stack Frames in Forth, Bradford Rodriguez
Duals: an Alternative to Variables, Rick Hoselton
Hardware Review: Harris RTX-2001 Contest Board, Anonymous
Software Review: PocketForth for the Macintosh, Paul Frenger

Departments:
The Forth Estate, Paul Frenger
Words from the Chairman, George Shaw
Forthought, Chuck Moore
ANSI Forth Report, George Shaw
Forth Education Report, Tom Hand
Forth Information Resources, Irving Montanez
EuroForth, Klaus Schleisiek-Kern
The News in Forth (mostly pointers to articles about Forth)
Calendar

-----------
  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior scientist at Harris Semiconductor, and adjunct professor at CMU.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.
Also, I'm not a SigForth expert, so these are just my opinions.

dwpst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Douglas W Philips) (09/08/90)

In article <10407@pt.cs.cmu.edu> koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:

>SigForth is still alive and well.  Their publications were delayed,
>but they are in the process of clearing the backlog now.  The latest
>issue I found in my pile is "Winter '89", which I believe
>was shipped this summer.  I think the situation is that they have
>the material to make up all back issues, it's just production
>that is a problem.  This is a normal part of life for small
>organizations, so I am not worried about it.

Ok.  I noticed in the latest FIG that they now have SigForth Issues
available.  I am very tempted to get them from FIG instead of joining
the ACM to only get SigForth.  I did notice that FIG didn't seem to
have Vol 1 #2.  Why is that?

>I belong because I like having it as a viable alternative,
>and I am willing to join to help them achieve critical mass
>for long-term survival.  I find the publication useful,
>and enjoy the conference they sponsor (by the way, I'm
>looking for papers for next year's conference...).

Can one get SigForth without having to have a general ACM membership?
(If so, how?)

>Table of contents from the latest issue of the newsletter (32 pages):
>(all typos are mine!)

Looks interesting.  I wonder how FIG would feel about doig an article
on SigForth?  (Dennis, or any other FIG board/editorial lurkers
too!)??

-Doug

---
Preferred:  dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us,   acceptable: uunet!willett!dwp

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (09/10/90)

In article <36079@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, dwpst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Douglas W Philips) writes:
> Can one get SigForth without having to have a general ACM membership?
> (If so, how?)

The information on SIGForth membership form the latest newsletter is:
$11/yr students, $20/yr ACM members, $42/yr non-ACM, $33/yr library.
  Non-US Airmail $8 extra.
You may pay by check (to ACM), American Express, MasterCard, Visa.
Address:   ACM, PO Box 12115, Church Street Station, New York, NY  10249
  tel.  (212) 869-7440.

I'm not sure, but I think you end up being an "affiliate" ACM member
or some such for $42 (at least, that's how it would work in IEEE).