[comp.lang.forth] Files vs Blocks

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (Mitch Bradley) (10/08/90)

I hate blocks.  The are much too restrictive.  People tend to omit
comments and visual structuring when using blocks, because they don't
have the flexibility to easily move stuff around when they have to

I think it is funny when people claim that blocks enforce the discipline
of short definitions.  This is funny because everything else about Forth
tends not to enforce discipline, instead leaving it up to the programmer
to choose.

I think blocks actually increase the average size of definitions, because
you can't easily go back and factor out a plausible subdefinition, due
to not having room to add the extra ": name  ( xx yy -- zz )  ;" and
whatever commentary is appropriate.

Mitch

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (10/11/90)

In article <9010101326.AA20001@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (Mitch Bradley) writes:
> I hate blocks.  The are much too restrictive.  People tend to omit
> comments and visual structuring when using blocks, because they don't
> have the flexibility to easily move stuff around when they have to
>
> I think it is funny when people claim that blocks enforce the discipline
> of short definitions.  This is funny because everything else about Forth
> tends not to enforce discipline, instead leaving it up to the programmer
> to choose.

I saw blocks as a toll, not a discipline....

> I think blocks actually increase the average size of definitions, because
> you can't easily go back and factor out a plausible subdefinition, due
> to not having room to add the extra ": name  ( xx yy -- zz )  ;" and
> whatever commentary is appropriate.
>
> Mitch

But when I used 'em ( 80-82 ) I had to use the discipline of my
MBASIC training 8^) ( you know, leave 9 blocks between each one used! )
to avoid the "RENUM BLOCK" phenominon! 8^) |^) 8^)

Clyde 8^)

marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (10/13/90)

In article <9010101326.AA20001@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Mitch Bradley <wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>I hate blocks.  The are much too restrictive.  People tend to omit
>comments and visual structuring when using blocks, because they don't
>have the flexibility to easily move stuff around when they have to

I don't agree.  Blocks (like everything else in Forth) require a different
approach.  The proper approach is, "When adding or factoring code,
USE A NEW BLOCK."

>I think blocks actually increase the average size of definitions, because
>you can't easily go back and factor out a plausible subdefinition, due
>to not having room to add the extra ": name  ( xx yy -- zz )  ;" and
>whatever commentary is appropriate.

Again, I don't agree.  See above.
--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)         |"The all-American boy prefers beauty to brains
Noe Systems, San Francisco    | because he can see better than he can think."