[comp.lang.forth] Files versus Blocks

UNBCIC@BRFAPESP.BITNET (10/19/90)

From: ForthNet articles from GEnie
 <dsl.pitt.edu!pitt!willett!ForthNet@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Blocks vs Text files
 Date: 10-06-90 (23:18)              Number: 3975 (Echo)
 To: DEAN MARTINDALE               Refer#: 3949
 From: DAVID BREEDING                  Read: NO
 Subj: BLOCKS AND FILES              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

> Ok, as I've stated here before...I think files are a GREAT improvement
> over the 'starting forth blocks' way of dividing up disk space.
> However, I must disagree about the use of blocks.  Now granted, if you
> have it all printed on paper files are better and more readable.  But if
> you're working on a program in memory, blocks are easier to work with.
I agree with this.

> For instance...with CPM F83 loaded into my system I can request the
> source of ANY word (view command).  This allows me to see not only the
> code (which can be done by decompiling) but also my comments and such.
> This can not be done with text files, and until I can get a editor that
Better you say this to Tom Zimmer. Because F-PC is not following the rules
doing this with text files...

> I can call and use from wthin Forth itself, I'm not about to go
> switching back and forth between the editor and forth (that's the reason
And so? I have no ASCII word processor as good as the NEWZ, built-in (file)
word processor that cames with F-PC.(Well, there is TeX and a Carta Certa, this
in my country, wich I don't have).

> I hate C).  In short, blocks are a good comprimise.  You can only see
That's because I love TURBO C.

> about 1 blocks worth of information at a time anyway, so it only makes
> since to show one screen of information at a time.  Blocks is just the
And the other 18 lines of my EGA becomes unused.

> best way (as of right now) to do it.
Maybe. But then I want files because I want interface with host O.S.

> If a better way comes along, I'll be the first in line...
Give a look in F-PC. It's for PC, I know, but you can use some techniques used
in it.

                              (8-DCS){_