[comp.lang.forth] 8031/8051 Forth ...

paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul T. Barton) (10/30/90)

 Date: 10-07-90 (13:43)              Number: 4016
>    To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
>  From: WILLIAM GILES                   Read: 10-08-90 (09:08)
>  Subj: COMMENT                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
>
>  I just got a copy of a new book called "Embedded Controller FORTH for
>  the 8051 Family" by William H. Payne of Sandia National Laboratories,
>  ISBN 0-12-547570-5, published by Academic Press. This book is about two
>  thirds listings of the source code, which is declared to be in the
>  public domain. The book contains a FORTH for the PC, a Metacompiler, an
>  operating system for an 8051 target system and a terminal emulator to
>  talk to the target system. It appears to be a system that was developed
>  over a period of several years and is quite complex. There is very
>  little in the way of the system and the reader is expected to get this
>  information from the listings.
>
>  The author says that source code and FORTH Encyclopedias for this system
>  are available on disk from "participating hardware vendors", but does
>  not give any names. It is also supposed to be posted on some bulletin
>  boards, but, again, no names re given. Are you aware of this book or any
>  one who has the disks or files available? When I realized the amountof
>  time nedded to retype the listings would take, I thought that I would
>  try find the files first.
>
>  Any help that you might give would be appreciated.
>
>  Bill

	Here at VESL, Tektronix, this group has used BRYTE-FORTH.
It is a FIG-FORTH.  At the time it was purchased, it was $100.00 for
the real nice manual and one 2764 EPROM.  Address follows, remember it
is old and might not be current.  The manual was available for $30.00
separately from the EPROM price.  Oh, yes my old purchase request slip
is here...  dated 4-24-1986.

BRYTE-FORTH
P.O Box 46
Augusta, ME 04330
(207) 547-3218

	I really like this forth.  A PCB with an Signetics 80C451
(8031 look-alike+extra ports) 32k ram, FORTH-ROM, WD-1770 floppy chip was
made.  Originally, the PCB mounted to the side of a 3 1/2" floppy drive.
If a self-starting applications software ROM is to be added, then the space
between the ram and rom is spread, and the code is inserted there, easy to
do with a memory-mapping PAL which select several memory maps, like I used.

The memory map could go like this:

$0000-->$1FFF is FORTH-ROM
$2000-->$9FFF is forth-ram, can be as little as 2k, I used 32k.
$A000-->$FFFF spare

$0000-->$1FFF is FORTH-ROM
$2000-->$3FFF is SELF-STARTING FORTH-APPLICATIONS, ROM
$4000-->$BFFF is forth-ram, can be as little as 2k, I used 32k.
$C000-->$FFFF spare

	If you want more info on either the PCB or FORTH, Holler !

Paul Taylor Barton    CSNet: paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM
                      ARPA: paulba%tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
                      UUCP: uunet!tektronix!tekgvs!paulba
MAIL: Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 50-370 Beaverton, OR. 97077 (503)-627-6134
HOME: 8120 S.E. Lake Road #4,     Milwaukie, OR. 97267-2311,     (503)-659-9417
---End Forwarded Message/s---