[comp.lang.forth] HARRIS RTX ? and Zilog ?

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (12/06/90)

Could someone get the complete story of the Harris RTX situation
( Phil K? ) and post the summary. Right now I expect that it's
still available but (marketing) de-emphasized, and won't become
*REAL* cheap soon 'cause of Die size. That's all I've heard
and I don't know if this is correct.

The complete summary would also include Harris's stance on
support, summary and status of the Design Contest, etc.

I'd also welcome any discussion of creating "generic"
FORTH engines using FPGA's that WOULD BE affordable
on singles quantities. I beleive we are at the gate count
with multi-funtional partitioning in these type "commodity"
parts to open this discussion.

I'll refrain from sheeding any tears till I know whether
it's warranted or not...

--Clyde
P.S. The Zilog thing is does anyone have FORTH's for the Super Z-8,
and did you hear Zilog upgraded the Z8 to have 16 bit math at < 2us
for divides and multiplies. Their market research showed they could
stem the tide toward 16bit parts with this move.
They say this 20mhz part will handle implemeting a SCSI adapter
now that it has 16bit math...

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec5.170506.3438@cbnewse.att.com>, cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
> Could someone get the complete story of the Harris RTX situation
> ( Phil K? ) and post the summary. Right now I expect that it's
> still available but (marketing) de-emphasized, and won't become
> *REAL* cheap soon 'cause of Die size. That's all I've heard
> and I don't know if this is correct.
I am not a Harris spokesman (official or otherwise).  But I have
been keeping in touch, and believe this to be the current situation:
- Fred Hawkes is now in charge of RTX.  If you want _official_
   information, contact him at (407) 724-7823.
- The RTX support team is now 5 people.  This is a "transition team",
   not a permanent support staff.  In other words, the number is going
   to go down in the future.
- Harris has plenty of RTX 2000's and RTX 2001A's tested and in-stock.
   The RTX 2010 introduction has been canceled.  All planned enhancements
   and future commercial standard products have been canceled (including
   the RTX 4000).  I would be surprised if prices were reduced
   because of manufacturing and support costs.  "Unsupported" sales
   are not an option for a number of legitimate reasons.
- Some day, Harris will stop manufacturing RTX 2000s.  They have promised
   to give notice to customers to allow "end-of-life" buys.  I expect
   that this event will correlate to stopping production of 80C286's
   made on the same fab line.
- My personal opinion is that starting a new design with an RTX
   has a high risk of being left high-and-dry in some fashion.  The
   most likely problems are:  1) you will need hardware or software
   support for some obscure problem and find that appropriate RTX
   expertise is unavailable from Harris; 2) you will underestimate
   your requirements or have insufficient cash when end-of-life buy
   is announced.
- If you have the money, Harris will let you use the RTX core
   for standard-cell designs.  They will probably license the RTX
   to you for use on someone else's fab, but probably for a lot of $$$.
- I know little about the design contest, but I think that prizes for
   U.S. winners were awarded as promised.

> I'd also welcome any discussion of creating "generic"
> FORTH engines using FPGA's that WOULD BE affordable
> on singles quantities. I believe we are at the gate count
> with multi-functional partitioning in these type "commodity"
> parts to open this discussion.
Charles Johnsen at MISC has been working on such a design for
quite some time (JAX's article in Embedded Systems Programming
tells more).

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090