[comp.lang.forth] Atari ST Public Domain L&P F83 FORTH ?

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/14/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 3         Mon Nov 12, 1990
W.FEDERICI                   at 19:25 PST

I have noted a couple of times that I have prepared a well-debugged PIC
version of L&P F83 for Atari ST, as well as a closely compatible 32-bit
version, a ROMable 32-bit version, and "cross-metacompilers" that run on PC's.
No one ever actually requested copies, so I've probably become the proverbial
broken record.  However...I still have them, use them regularly (on a variety
of other systems as well as the Atari), and would certainly share them.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/19/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 6         Sat Nov 17, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 18:05 EST

"vet - v. - to examine carefully and critically for faults or errors etc."
I.e., to check out thoroughly.

Lately I haven't done much with Forth on my ST.  It used to be my development
system, but now the PC with all kinds of software and plug-in hardware is
filling that role.  The ST is still my "big system" (now 2.5 Meg), and I have
some projects in mind that may need that space.

Yes, I'd like to check out Mr. Ferderci's Forth.  Soon.

- Brad
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/20/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 7         Mon Nov 19, 1990
W.FEDERICI                   at 20:54 PST

 PIC is just jargon for "position-independent code".  That is, you can load it
at any (even) address and it runs without any need for relocation, etc.  Quite
convenient for my purposes, though it does cost a slight loss of speed. (Not
much -- it's still a bit faster than a conventional, absolute-addressed 32-bit
version.)
 .
 If you're still having trouble getting compact listings, I can upload a few
screens that I use on both Atari ST and IBM PC to print two across by four
down, with/without shadows, on Epson/IBM and Okidata printers. (I never got
the L&P listing utility to work quite right either, but then I didn't try very
hard because I already had this listing utility running on other Forth systems
and the port was so easy.)
 .
 - Wilson

-----

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (11/21/90)

>Category 1,  Topic 37
>Message 3         Mon Nov 12, 1990
>W.FEDERICI                   at 19:25 PST
>
>I have noted a couple of times that I have prepared a well-debugged PIC
>version of L&P F83 for Atari ST, as well as a closely compatible 32-bit
>version, a ROMable 32-bit version, and "cross-metacompilers" that run on PC's.
>No one ever actually requested copies, so I've probably become the proverbial
>broken record.  However...I still have them, use them regularly (on a variety
>of other systems as well as the Atari), and would certainly share them.

  Where are these available?

  A gentle reminder to GEnie readers -- FORTH discussion are posted outside
of GENIE via a gateway such that they have world wide distribution. Given
this, it makes sense to say where new software is available if online ,
or to provide an address or phone number for contacting the author.

  -- Dave Ritchie

lynd@orome.WR.TEK.COM (Lynd Wieman) (11/22/90)

>W.FEDERICI                   at 19:25 PST

>I have noted a couple of times that I have prepared a well-debugged PIC
>version of L&P F83 for Atari ST, as well as a closely compatible 32-bit
>version, a ROMable 32-bit version, and "cross-metacompilers" that run on PC's.

I would like copies!  Please upload it so I can find some kind person to
email it to me.

Lynd Wieman
lynd@mrloog.wr.tek.com

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/25/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 8         Thu Nov 22, 1990
J.SANFORD1                   at 20:50 MST

     It seems after my "small is beautiful" diatribe, It is only
natural that the next file to examine is # 769 F68KST11.arc.
After unpacking the resulting "advanced Forth programming system" had
to be spread over 2 disks > 600K on each!  While it is not what I am
looking for, it's instructional value is considerable. Many words and
concepts that i've puzzled over in Forth dimentions are illustrated.
Also lots more stuff way over my head.  Yet I admire it's
100% Forthrightiousness. -  There is a 12 page document -
explaining that is a personal software development system, and the
author, Loren Craymer, presents it as a "works in progress" to show
how some of the concepts under discusion in the comunity could be
implemented. He recommends a vendor supported system to those who may
require support.
    I am not qualified to really revue this system. Output to the
printer is no problem ( tho condensed mode is being narowed down to my
problem) finding shadow screens is no problem even after fooling
around with words.  I didn't understand the 32 bit, bit. My joke is "
you have to rename push & pop to blow & suck". I figgure a computer
thats more than half full of zeros isn't working hard enough. But ..
doing calculations on monster numbers, no sweat, IS impressive.
    I am beginning to regret sort of backing off in my last mess.
about software patents, we may wish it was a joke! Read Nov.Dr.Dobb's
editorial and article " Software Patents" it is scary!!!
    The Forth that was conceptualy sold to me was a "Grass roots
movement" remember? The language itself was put in the Public Domain
by it's creator.   I can read between the lines that vendors have been
putting preasure on, ...  Well now there may be bigger things at
stake.  later - jon -
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/25/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 9         Sat Nov 24, 1990
J.SANFORD1                   at 12:05 MST

      The file #1433 GEMDOS.ARC appears to be part of what I've been looking
for. The screens are well designed and commented in the shadows. Since I've
been studying GEM programming thru the Abacus books, I am happy to find this
file.  I can't say how well it works yet, because I don't have a Kernel I can
confidently load on to, or metacompile it into ( If I understood
metacompilation well enough to do that ) So it's gona hafta wait until I am
ready for it.
      Since it appears to me that there is nothing left in the library that
could be a F-83 L&P P.D. Forth ( unless #108 LP4th.ARC Morison is a improved
version of #1153, as it is a earlyer number that would suprise me )   I am
getting close to the conclusion that ---
   There is no F-83 L&P P.D. Forth for the Atari ST that a beginner can use in
context with the instructional materials avaliable from FIG.
      -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -
      Wilson  I second the motion that Brad has made.  For myself the 16 bit
version which I assume is smallest first please.  If you haven't got the
documentation together yet, perhaps the questions we ask here will make that
process more interesting. I understand that Brad is a Hot Shot programmer and
I am a Duffer so between the two of us we should cover the gamut.
      Brad  A big project on the ST sounds interesting I suppose it's has to
be secret if it has commercial potential.  I goofed and got some stuff about
uploaded files where I saw that you work with  Expert Systems.  After I get
this groundwork behind me I want to look in to that.  - Later - jon -
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/26/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 10        Sun Nov 25, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 12:23 EST

Secret?  Commercial potential?  Naaah.  I'm still tinkering with the pattern
matching system that I presented at FORML last year.  (I'm implementing the
functions of SNOBOL under Forth.)  Among other things, I'm planning to add
list processing a la Alexander Sakharov. One of the problems with my PC
version is that my memory allocator was limited to single-cell addresses, so I
really want to move to a 32-bit Forth, i.e., my ST.  Having 2+ meg is also
quite useful in large list- and pattern-processing applications.

I'm also contemplating a simple RAM-resident database for "internal use", and
2 meg sounds a lot better than the 500K or so I have left under DOS.

I must admit, Wilson's latest posting has sparked my interest in his PIC
Forth, and I'm looking forward to downloading a copy.  It is on GEnie, yes?

- Brad
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/29/90)

Category 1,  Topic 37
Message 11        Tue Nov 27, 1990
W.FEDERICI                   at 19:43 PST

OK, I'll try to upload the 16-bit 68000 F83 some time before 12/10/90. The
"documentation" is mainly the (fully updated) shadow screens, just like the
original.
 - Wilson

[This is in reply to a message by Dennis Ruffer asking him to upload the
 stuff.  Once it is on GEnie I'll make it available through my normal
 email service.  Wanted to port this message so that those of you who
 were interested would know the score. -dwp]
-----

rat@madnix.UUCP (David Douthitt) (12/03/90)

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:

| Category 1,  Topic 37
| Message 10        Sun Nov 25, 1990
| B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 12:23 EST

| (I'm implementing the functions of SNOBOL under Forth.)

Wow!  Can I get a gander at those when your done?  I've F83-88 here on
my 386SX.  I programmed a few things in SNOBOL until the local
university stole the computer away and put a (GASP!) Hulking Giant
in its place.  All the neat computer languages went out with the
old machine - languages like APL, COBOL, SNOBOL, SPITBOL (!), and so on.

| Having 2+ meg is also
| quite useful in large list- and pattern-processing applications.

Phew!  2M+?  Bunga bunga.  Does it function in 1M?

--
! InterNet: deety!rat@spool.cs.wisc.edu           !  David Douthitt
! UUCP: ...uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!deety!rat !  Madison, Wisconsin

jwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu (Jack J. Woehr) (12/09/90)

In article <2023.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us> ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
>Category 1,  Topic 37
>Message 11        Tue Nov 27, 1990
>W.FEDERICI                   at 19:43 PST
>
>OK, I'll try to upload the 16-bit 68000 F83 some time before 12/10/90. The
>"documentation" is mainly the (fully updated) shadow screens, just like the
>original.

	F68KST11.ARC is available for download from the RCFB, the Mid-West's
only all-Forth BBS (303) 278-0364 12/24 24 hrs.

--
# ..!apple!dunike!nyx!koscej!jax       # "Therefore, the L-RD G-d  #
# ..!hplabs!hp-lsd!oldcolo!jax         #   sent him FORTH ..."     #