[comp.lang.forth] 1990 FORML

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/16/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 1         Sat Sep 15, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:14 CDT

To: Old Hands at FORML

  I had begun to consider the possibility of thinking about maybe  wondering
whether I might attend the upcoming FORML.

  How do you do it?  Where do you fly in?  How do you get from there to
Asilomar and back to the airport?  Do you need to travel back & forth  between
Asilomar and nearby town(s) (Pacific Grove?) or is your time  pretty
thoroughly occupied at Asilomar?

  I phoned the FIG office yesterday to try to get some info in this  area and
was told I should fly in to San Jose and rent a car, that  Asolimar was about
a 30 minute drive.

  My first impression to this is negative.  I am reluctant to spend the  money
to rent a car for three days if all I use it for is a 30 minute  drive Friday
and a 30 minute drive Sunday, to and from the airport.   Isn't there some sort
of shuttle service or bus?  What do you do?  Any  light you can shed on this
would be appreciated.

  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/16/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 2         Sat Sep 15, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 19:42 EDT

Re: F.SERGEANT [Frank]

 > I had begun to consider the possibility of thinking about maybe
 > wondering whether I might attend the upcoming FORML.
 >
 > How do you do it?  Where do you fly in?

I haven't attended for a couple of years, but I got used to the routine when I
was going.  It seems strange, but renting a car in San Jose and driving down
ends up being almost equal to the cost and time of air fare from San Jose/San
Fransisco to Monterey and is a whole lot more enjoyable.  I seem to remember
it takes 3 hours (with the wait between flights) to fly to Monterey and
considerably less than that to drive it.  Driving, you go down highway 1 (if
you dare) and get to see what I consider to be the best views in this country
(excluding the Applicaians in fall).  That is if you have time to look as you
negotiate the curves on highway 1.

With the schedule at FORML, you don't get much time to use a car, but it is
definitely worth taking the time after the conference to take a trip on the 17
mile drive.  It is a beautiful drive around the most impressive homes in the
area and through Pebble Beach golf course.  Highly recommended by all who have
take it.

Check the price of air fare from San Jose to Monterey against the cost of
renting a car for three days.  I haven't checked in a couple of years, but
when I last looked, there was not that much difference.

See ya there.   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/03/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 10        Sun Dec 02, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 00:01 CST

 What I Did Over Thanksgiving
 .
 I attended my first FORML.  I'm very glad I did.  I got to meet many  of the
Forth celebrities and friends whom I knew of through telecomm,  etc. and to
see other Forth friends from years ago at the L.A. Fig  meetings.  Those plus
others I met at the Embedded Systems Conference  in San Francisco in September
have made this a memorable and enjoyable  fall.
 .
 Two outstanding events occurred at FORML:
     1. Glen Haydon plopped an alligator onto an overhead projector.
     2. Mitch Bradley sang.
 .
 Thank god I didn't miss either of those!
 .
 I'm not ever leaving home again or I'd plan on attending every future  FORML.
If I do attend again, I hope I'll remember to arrive thoroughly  rested.
Unfortunately I was tired to begin with because of some  pre-FORML visiting I
did in L.A.  After we were thrown out of the  conference room around midnight
each night we adjourned to someone's  room where the party continued.  I don't
know how late, as I tried to  get to bed by 2 am and I wasn't the last to
leave.
 .
 If I agreed with anyone about anything, I'm sorry: it was an oversight  and
I'll try to correct it in the future.  Here is a sample of my  disagreements:
   1. The size and direction of F-PC.  We've already got Turbo Pascal  and
Turbo C.
   2. That there is any sort of standards effort going on at all.  It  seems
to me that X3J14 is really an alternate Forth Modification  Laboratory where
they don't have quite as much fun as we did at  Asilomar.
   3. That a senior Forth Inc person thinks Forth is NOT the computer
programming language to teach his child.  I fear this is merely the tip  of an
iceberg.
   4. I think it is absurd to distribute eforth as a MASM listing.  One  of
the assumptions made is that recipients will already have a  PC/XT/AT
available.  Do I need to connect the dots?  Richard Haskell's  paper on his
trials in implementing eforth for the 68000 using the MASM  approach makes a
strong case for meta-compilation!  The old hex  assembly listing had its place
when you distributed only a PAPER  version.  But, when you insist the
recipient have a PC anyway, and you  are going to supply him with a disk
anyway, there is no sense in giving  him a MASM listing instead of a Forth
listing and meta-compiler.  (Of  course, I hope no one will agree with me.)
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/03/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 11        Sun Dec 02, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 10:56 EST

Gee, sorry, Frank, but I think I agree with all of your points 1-4.
 Mostly agree, anyway.

1. We _do_ need some tools with the "polish" of Turbo Pascal/C. It's
embarassing to show a client the typical Forth metacompiler. Granted, good
tools does not mean "fat" Forth.

2. I bestow upon you my recent enlightment: X3J14 isn't here to standardize
the language, they're here to _improve_ it.  I was given a copy of the ANS
guidelines for X3 efforts, and damned if that isn't what ANS X3 is slanted
towards.

3. Hmmm.  I'll have to think about this.

4. Agreed.  I've recently implemented a kernel in assembly language, and it
_is_ a trial.  But show me a metacompiler that someone besides the author can
use.  (No offense, I haven't seen your metacompiler yet.)  Tools again.

Sorry I missed FORML this year.  Do you plan to attend Rochester?
 - Brad

-----

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (Mitch Bradley) (12/03/90)

> Two outstanding events occurred at FORML:
>     1. Glen Haydon plopped an alligator onto an overhead projector.

Actually, as I recall, it was Leonard Morgenstern that used the
alligator (it was a pun on "allocator").

>     2. Mitch Bradley sang.

If you can call it that.

> If I do attend again, I hope I'll remember to arrive thoroughly  rested.
> each night we adjourned to someone's  room where the party continued.
> I don't know how late, as I tried to  get to bed by 2 am and I wasn't the
> last to leave.

I used to do that, but I finally realized that I consistently got ill from
lack of rest after returning home from FORML.  It is possible to bail out
of the party and go to bed around midnight; the down side is that you don't
get to experience 20 or 30 people crammed into one hotel room.

>   1. The size and direction of F-PC.  We've already got Turbo Pascal  and
> Turbo C.

To each his own.  Nobody forces anybody to use F-PC.

>   3. That a senior Forth Inc person thinks Forth is NOT the computer
> programming language to teach his child.

I believe he said that Forth is not the *first* language he would
teach his child.  I can see his point; to use Forth, there is a fair
amount of nitty-gritty that you have to learn.  I think Logo is a better
choice for a first language.  Forth was not designed for teachability,
but instead for useability for real-world engineering problems, and it
shows.  Forth is full of tedious-to-explain kludges that turn out to
be reasonable tradeoffs under certain sets of non-obvious constraints.
A child would not be expected to care about speed or space efficiency
or many of the other things that recommend Forth over other "cleaner"
interactive languages.

>   4. I think it is absurd to distribute eforth as a MASM listing.  One  of
> the assumptions made is that recipients will already have a  PC/XT/AT
> available.

Hear, hear.  Does it bother anybody besides me that, with eForth distributed
in MASM, Bill Gates stands to make money on Forth too, and worse yet, on
Forth used on non-80x86 processors?

A much better approach, in my entirely selfish opinion, would be to
write it in retargetable metacompiler form (it goes without saying that
my metacompiler is retargetable), with the metacompiler running on top of
my C Forth 83 (which has been trivially ported to dozens of machines from
PCs to all flavors of Unix machines to VAXen to mainframes).  I would
venture to guess that there are more people who know C than who know MASM.
Besides which, C Forth 83, at $50, is cheaper than MASM (Microsoft doesn't
sell anything for less than $50, do they?).  End self-serving-but-reasonably-
cogent argument.

> (Of  course, I hope no one will agree with me.)

Is it okay to agree with some few of your points?  If not, I apologize.

Cheers,
Mitch Bradley, wmb@Eng.Sun.COM

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/04/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 12        Sun Dec 02, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:50 EST

Ah, Frank it looks like you survived the ordeal.  Congratulations!

Was Glen's alligator alive?  Mitch knows how to sing?  Will amazements never
sease?  You are right thought, FORML is certainly a whole lot more fun that
the X3J14 meetings. <grin>

I hope it wasn't our little outing that wore you out while you were down here
in LALA land.  Sorry about the misdirections, but I thouroughly enjoyed the
dinner and hope you weren't too dissapointed with the food. :-)

How many FORTH, Inc. people did you meet?  The one's with kids brings the list
even smaller.  Did I say I wasn't going to teach Ben (age 11) Forth?  How many
drinks did I have before you got there? Of course he will know Forth, just as
soon as he figures out that computers are for more than just playing games or
writting his homework on.  Spelling is also something that is almost a
requirement.  Soon, but he is more interested in building his R/C plane right
now.

So, it musta been the other one, and if we are talking about the same person,
he doesn't like beginner's code.  It would be hard to imagine how he would
handle teaching programming to a child.  I'm sure it will become a wonderful
learning experience for all of them when the time comes.  I'll wait and see.

#'s 1 & 2  I agree!

I kind of like the MASM format, and with things like Windows and OS/2 that
format is about the simplest way in.  An alternative would be to have a meta
compiler output the Microsoft OBJ format, but at the very least, you will have
to LINK the program before it is going to be of much use.  Has anyone out
there solved the OBJ format details yet?

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/06/90)

 Date: 12-03-90 (12:56)              Number: 367 of 368 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 350
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 FORML                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

   >has anyone out there solved the OBJ format details yet

 Ah, Dennis, you're severely behind the times.  LMI has been generating
 OBJ files directly from high level Forth code for years.  This is
 exactly how we build our UR/FORTH systems for MS-DOS, OS/2, Windows,
 etc. -- we compile Forth high level code to standard OBJ files then run
 them through the system linker to produce an executable.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/07/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 15        Thu Dec 06, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 00:48 EST

Re: RAY DUNCAN

 > Ah, Dennis, you're severely behind the times.  LMI has been
 > generating OBJ files directly from high level Forth code for
 > years.

I knew that Ray, but forgot (for a moment) that you had solved it years ago.
Can/Will you share your discoveries?  Is there a good reference to the various
record formats?  Have you already written about it somewhere that I have
missed?  I'm convinced that the path you choose is going to end up to be the
ONLY way, so I've got a little catching up to do.

So, I'm a little late.  :-)   DaR

-----

 Date: 12-03-90 (17:53)              Number: 370 of 380
   To: FRANK SERGEANT                Refer#: 340
 From: CHRIS WATERS                    Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 Forml                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 FS. I attended my first FORML.  I'm very glad I did.
 Asilomar is beautiful, isn't it?  I haven't been to ForML in several
 years, but I'll have to scrape together the cash again one of these
 days soon.

 FS.     2. Mitch Bradley sang.

 On the other hand.......... ;-)

 As for your arguments, I'll bite!  I love to argue.  Unfortunately, I
 can't find much to disagree with in what you said.  But I'll try.

 FS.   1. The size and direction of F-PC.  We've already got Turbo
 FS.Pascal and Turbo C.

 So?  Why shouldn't we have a Turbo-Forth out there?  Personally, if
 forced to use a Turbo-language, I'd rather it be Forth than much of
 anything else.  Granted *I* wouldn't use this system for any real
 development work, but it seems like a good thing for the novice.

 FS.   2. That there is any sort of standards effort going on at all.

 Of course not!  That would be contrary to the very nature of Forth!<g>

 Seriously, though, while I'm sure the guys 'n' gals on the ANSI
 committee are doing their best, they're up against the fact that Forth
 is such a simple language, and so easy to modify, that it's almost
 impossible to resist the urge to go in and tweak the kernel slightly
 to optimize it for each application.  I know I've never been able to
 resist this urge.

 FS.   4. I think it is absurd to distribute eforth as a MASM
 FS.listing.

 I can't argue with this one at all.  Sorry.  <grin>
 ---
 MM2.1a *Specializing in General Tomfoolery (& UNIX when convenient)
 ---
  * SFUTI 3.01 / Now accepting UNIX files!

 PCRelay:THECAVE -> #559 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10               The Cave (408)259-8098 12/24/96/19.2 HST/DS
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/08/90)

 Date: 12-04-90 (16:27)              Number: 383 of 394
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: 356
 From: CHRIS WATERS                    Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 Forml                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 RD.   >a senior Forth Inc person thinks Forth is not the language to
 RD.   >teach his child...
 RD.
 RD.I don't know who that person is, but I absolutely agree with
 RD.him/her.

 Now now, Forth may not be the ideal first language--I doubt if anyone
 will seriously argue with that--but it's a better choice than some
 other languages that are often taught as a first language.  (I'm
 thinking, of course, of that one that starts with "B").  ;-)

 And I do know a couple of people who learned Forth as their first
 language.  None of them seemed seriously crippled by it.  I understand
 what you're saying about the public perception of Forth programmers,
 but the fact remains that Forth is a fairly simple language, it's
 interactive, and I'd rate it a _little_ bit higher than LISP (and a
 lot higher than APL) as a choice for first language.
 ---
 MM2.1a *Misspelled and stolen tagline alert!
 ---

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/09/90)

 Date: 12-06-90 (13:09)              Number: 395 of 397 (Echo)
   To: CHRIS WATERS                  Refer#: 383
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 FORML                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 There's no doubt that Forth's interactivity and simplicity are pluses,
 looking at it as a first language.

 It also has features that are strong MINUSES when you're trying to teach
 good programming technique and provide a forgiving environment for a
 novice:

   lack of strong data typing
   lack of any effective runtime error checking
   the ability to crash the machine hopelessly with perfectly innocent
    experiments  e.g.  0 1000 ERASE
                       1234. FOO 2!  (where FOO was a simple variable)
                       0 EXECUTE

 and so on.  The very things that make Forth so powerful for a programmer
 who already knows structured techniques and safe design practices make
 the language unsuitable for a person with NO understanding of machine
 architecture and NO background in structured, modular programming.

 Date: 12-06-90 (13:12)              Number: 396 of 397 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 389
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 FORML                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 The best reference (although it is not complete because of new obj
 record formats that arrived with MSC 5.1 and MSC 6.0) is Rick Wilton's
 article in the MS-DOS Encyclopedia on OBJ formats.  Rick wrote the
 original version of our object module compiler and used that experience
 to write the encyclopedia article.

 Needless to say generating Intel/Microsoft OMF from Forth source code is
 a tremendously messy job, not because the compilation of the Forth is so
 hard, but because the OBJ module structure is so arcane, with many
 different record types and all kinds of strange cross-references between
 them.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 20        Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:52 CST

 BR>Sorry I missed FORML this year.  Do you plan to attend Rochester?
 .
 Thanks, Brad.  It's good to hear a friendly voice now and then.  Just  when I
was almost reconciled to my fate it appears that you don't  completely
disagree with me and that even Mitch doesn't completely  disagree with me, at
least regarding meta-compilation vs assembly.  Now  there is nothing at all I
can count on.
 .
 No, I do not plan to attend Rochester.  On the other hand I do not
definitely plan not to attend either.  Attending seems to conflict with  two
of my goals: never to leave home again and not to spend any money.   On the
other hand, I so enjoyed FORML that I'd love to attend both  FORML and
Rochester every year.  I just have not worked this out yet.
 .
 My 4 points were meant as quick samples of my disagreements. Maybe I  can't
explain my position other than as a vague feeling of unease.  Maybe I should
call them "dislikes" instead of "disagreements."  Take  for example my daring
to say I disagreed with a senior Forth Inc person  preferring a language other
than Forth for his child. Ray Duncan in  particular seemed to disagree with me
over this, but I think he missed  my point.  Now, really, I don't give a damn
what language he teaches  his child.  I never intended to say that no decent
human being in the  world could consider teaching his child BASIC or Trilogy
or COBOL. But,  I do think it is a sign (Give us a sign, o lord, give us a
sign.  Houston: 156 miles.), no matter how unimportant in itself; and not a
good sign, either. Take a rather extreme example. Even though I can  think of
many better things to teach a child, I would still think it  disharmonious to
hear the local Roman Catholic priest had chosen a  religion other than
Christianity to teach his own children.  I hope  people can get my point here
without taking too much offense.  If the  local doctor prescribed Tylenol to
all his patients but was careful to  see his own family never used it,
wouldn't you think something was  wrong somewhere?  Yes, yes, my analogies are
not exactly applicable.  I  hope you see what I mean about this feeling of
unease. It has nothing  to do with how to introduce programming to a child!
 .
 You have a point about the difficulty of following (some)  meta-compilers.
(Brad, You can see mine whever you wish by either  downloading PYGMY13.ZIP or
by E-mailing your mailing address to me).  I  think mine (which perhaps should
be called Charles Moore's from  cmFORTH) is much easier to use and understand
than F83's. Pygmy is not  made to be easy to port to other processors, but to
be fast and  convenient on a PC.  Eforth is slow, but that is the trade off
for  getting it up quickly (I agree with this trade off.  Speed it up at  your
leisure, but at least you're now in Forth.  On the other hand,  speed is
everything at times.) . The idea of eforth is to have as few  machine language
primitives as possible, within reason.  These could be  isolated fairly easily
- in any metacompiler, probably - with  instructions to the porter to put in
his own hex codes for those  primitives "we don't care where you get 'em" in
the marked places, then  type 1 LOAD.  The meta-compiler then generates a new
kernel and saves a  binary (or Intel hex or Motorola S1-S9) image to the PC's
disk.  No  matter what we do, as Mitch points out, the user has to figure a
way to  download the image to his target system.  There would be a small,
clearly marked area for setting CONSTANTS for byte order, alignment,  etc.
 .
 I say the porter does not get to claim complete ignorance of the  target
processor's assembly language, but that he needs to learn almost  nothing of a
metacompiler and absolutely nothing about MASM, to port  eforth to a new
processor.  It only takes one porter per processor.  Thereafter anyone who
wants just to use eforth can download that  version from GEnie.  Remember,
part of the eforth plan is to require  the porter to have a PC and to send him
a disk (or file via modem).  There is no need to require he also have MASM,
everything he needs can  be included (in Forth) on the disk he's being sent
anyway.  As I've  said before, if anyone wants to see whether the source code
for Forth  is more readable in Forth or in MASM, just download eforth and
compare  them (both versions are included).
 .
 So, in conclusion, I'd just like to say there is room for many  different
viewpoints and opinions and approaches on all of these and  many other
subjects.  One of the joys of attending FORML was hearing so  many of them and
seeing how misguided or insightful others can be, and  I would be remiss in my
duties if I didn't offer that same opportunity  to others.
 .
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 21        Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:53 CST

 Dennis,
  Yes, I survived and enjoyed it.  No, driving all over southern  California
looking for you only accounts for a small part of my  fatigue, and the food
and conversation were well worth it.
 .
 The alligator was not alive but I think it was not dead either.  I  believe
it was a rubber toy.  Was it really Len and not Glen?  I could  have sworn ...
It was indeed a pun on "allocator" and I laughed so  hard I guess I couldn't
remember who did it.  Yes, Mitch's singing was  very good.  Of course, if I
couldn't tell Len from Glen, maybe I have  Mitch confused with Pavarotti.
 .
 Regarding the "first language" issue, I'm beginning to regret opening  my big
mouth.  Probably you and I ARE thinking of the same person.  I  don't even say
he is wrong in any way.  I omitted a name, as I am not  criticizing his
decision or opinion.  I went into this in more detail  in a previous message.
I'm just saying I've gotta feeling.  And, my  feeling's that it's a sign.  And
that it ain't a good sign.
 .
 However, many people have been responding to the entirely different  question
of whether Forth is the best 1st language (perhaps for a  child).  Do they
seriously mean a beginning programmer (child or not)  should NOT be allowed to
crash the system from the start?  (And learn  it isn't the end of the world.)
As an aside, "save early and often" is  better learned early, with relatively
unimportant work, I think.  And,  teaching one's own child anything
intentionally is a brave undertaking.   One of my favorite jokes - I don't
understand why it has made people so  angry with me - is to teach them how to
change bases, using HEX DECIMAL  OCTAL, etc and then ask them to tell me what
base they are in by typing  BASE ?   Of course they get the answer "10"
regardless of the base, and  it is perfectly correct.  This tickles me to no
end, but my "victims"  don't seem to think it is funny at all.  Oh well.
Regardless of the  1st language for a child, I am probably not the 1st choice
as his  teacher!
 .
 Regarding your preference for the MASM format, remember we are talking  about
generating a new kernel for a new processor rather than  generating something
to run on a PC.  And really, you should have heard  what Richard Haskell went
through porting eforth to a 68000 using MASM.   I forget the details, but they
even included writing a special program  in F-PC to fix something or other.
The point I got was that it was not  straight forward and it was not easy.
But, be my guest.  Anyone who  wishes to do it the MASM way has my full
permission.  If and when it  becomes appropriate I'll be glad to say I told
you so.  Note I am not  discussing how a master Forth gen'r should gen his own
Forth, just  expressing my opinion that "eforth's" OWN goals are ill served by
the  MASM approach.  I'm just trying to help by criticizing anything that
moves.
 .
 Furthermore, I think Mitch has a VERY interesting point when he says
 .
 MB>Does it bother anybody besides me that, with eForth distributed in
 MB>MASM, Bill Gates stands to make money on Forth too, and worse yet,
 MB>on Forth used on non-80x86 processors?
 .
 -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 22        Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:53 CST

 Mitch, it is a rare treat when you do agree with me and usually it is
instructive when you disagree.
 .
 MB>To each his own.  Nobody forces anybody to use F-PC.
 .
 I agree completely.  Without it existing I wouldn't be able to  disagree with
its direction.  I'm quite content to allow others to use  it as they please.
I could even see myself using it, fairly happily,  under certain
circumstances.
 .
 I am happier with the idea of bringing up a Forth quickly by using  your C
Forth 83 approach than I am with the MASM approach.  I'm sure  this disclaimer
is not needed, but almost everything I've been posting  lately has a lot to do
with emotion and what I (perhaps unexplainably)  like or dislike rather than
with cold, hard logic.  (Although I do  think I have logic on my side
regarding eforth & MASM.)  I don't like  MASM!  I will not use MASM.  (Yes I
will.  I'll program in ANYTHING if  the price is right.)  If I were to use a
non-Forth 80x86 assembler I  would almost certainly use the shareware A86 -
which is great.  Better,  simpler, faster, and also fully compatible than MASM
(so I believe).  It's probably available in the IBM roundtable for downloading
- and  Bill Gates won't get a dime.
 .
 I have been under the impression that to put Forth on a new machine  using
your C approach requires that one have a C compiler available on  that
machine.  Am I in error on this point?  If the C compiler is  required it
would still seem to leave a place for something like eforth  on various
systems.
 .
 I'm glad to have met you at FORML and to have heard your fine singing.
 .
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 23        Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:54 CST

 CW> So?  Why shouldn't we have a Turbo-Forth out there?  Personally,
 CW> if forced to use a Turbo-language, I'd rather it be Forth than
 CW> much of anything else.  Granted *I* wouldn't use this system for
 CW> any real development work, but it seems like a good thing for the
 CW> novice.
 .
 I feel in general we are richer when there are more rather than fewer
alternatives.  No one thing needs to be right for every person or every
purpose.
 .
 Yes, Asilomar was pretty.  I hope to meet you there if I make it to  another
FORML.
 .
 -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/11/90)

Category 5,  Topic 16
Message 24        Sun Dec 09, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:10 EST

Re: RAY DUNCAN

 > The best reference (although it is not complete because of new obj
 > record formats that arrived with MSC 5.1 and MSC 6.0) is Rick
 > Wilton's article in the MS-DOS Encyclopedia on OBJ formats.  Rick
 > wrote the original version of our object module compiler and used
 > that experience to write the encyclopedia article.

I thought you might tell me that I already had the best reference around
<grin>.  We have a couple copies of the Encyclopedia at work. I just haven't
even tried to read through the entire thing yet.  I was also afraid that it
might be incomplete, and I am mostly interested in the Windows 3.0 type stuff.
I supposed I'm just going to have to figure it out for myself.  Thank you very
much for at least getting me started.  Now, to just get off my duff and do the
rest of my job.

Thanks!   DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/15/90)

 Date: 12-11-90 (15:05)              Number: 504 of 514
   To: CHRIS WATERS                  Refer#: 383
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: 1990 FORML                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 I agree Forth should not be that difficult. If not the first then the
 second, but not after basic. My kids were first introduced to LOGO in
 KG, and it seems after LOGO, Forth would be easier to pickup than Basic.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----