[comp.lang.forth] BASIS14.ARC

parks@bennett.berkeley.edu (Tom Parks) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan8.225359.22570@bradley.bradley.edu>,
pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:
> I was rather confused by the format of the files of BASIS14, until
> I saw the posting here that they were MS WORD format.  Well, I'm
> confused again.

> I downloaded the arc to my pc, unarced it, and everything looked fine.

I uudecoded and unarced the files on my Sun workstation with no
problems.  Then I transferred the files to a MacII using ftp.

> But when I went to another PC with MS WORD for MS Windows (I don't use
> MS WORD myself) and started trying to print, it seemed nothing would work
> except the appendices.  The problem that I saw with the other three files
> was that MSW would position the text on the page such that it was off the
> left edge.  Sometimes, by playing with it, I could *see* the left
> edge, and the text was there, but it was on the negative side of the
> 0 column.  When I'd try to print (both on a HP Laserjet II and using
> the Apple Laser driver to generate postscript files), it would truncate
> the leftmost half inch or so.

I observed exactly the same behavior when I tried to print the files.
The margins on the ruler had been set at -1.5 inches instead of 0 inches.

> Has anyone else had this problem?  Is there something I did wrong?  Did
> I maybe make a mistake unpacking the files?  I'm really at a complete
> loss....

I didn't have any problems unpacking the files, and since we both
experienced the same problem, I suspect that there is something wrong
with the original WORD files.

Anyone else have anything helpful to add?
Tom Parks	parks@bennett.Berkeley.EDU