[comp.lang.forth] Case of Code

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/10/91)

Category 10,  Topic 33
Message 9         Wed Jan 09, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 01:07 CST

 John Wavrik wrote:

 >Eaker's CASE statement OCCUPIES ONE SCREEN OF CODE. Anyone who has
 >liked it and wanted in their system has been able to add it and use it
 >-- so the fact that it has not been part of Forth Standards is hardly
 >evidence of the sluggishness and perversity of the Forth community --
 >but is, rather, evidence that previous Standards teams have understood
 >the nature of Forth.

  Oh, oh, oh!  That surely is beautifully written, especially the final
phrase!

  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

eaker@sunbelt.crd.ge.com (Charles E Eaker) (01/11/91)

In article <2217.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us> ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
>F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 01:07 CST
>
> John Wavrik wrote:
>
> >Eaker's CASE statement OCCUPIES ONE SCREEN OF CODE. Anyone who has
> >liked it and wanted in their system has been able to add it and use it
> >-- so the fact that it has not been part of Forth Standards is hardly
> >evidence of the sluggishness and perversity of the Forth community --
> >but is, rather, evidence that previous Standards teams have understood
> >the nature of Forth.
>
>  Oh, oh, oh!  That surely is beautifully written, especially the final
>phrase!
>
>  -- Frank
There is no need, in my opinion, for my CASE structure to become part of
any Forth standard because, as John Wavrik makes clear,
     (1) it can be implemented in 8 short lines of code,
     (2) those 8 lines of code contain words that have been well-defined
         and understood for at least 10 years,
     (3) it is simply another way of expressing what can already be
         expressed in, I suspect, every Forth that has ever existed, and
     (4) if the writer of a standard application wishes to have it
         available, it can be included in a preamble to the application
         at little expense in terms of space or other resources.
However, none of these four things can be said of
     (a) a file system interface,
     (b) memory allocation, and
     (c) floating point.
And only the first is true of
     (d) error handling, and
     (e) search order control.
Our facility, for one rather large one, is years beyond projects that
can get along without (a) through (d). (We can't even get along without
a standard windowing environment, but try and put that in a Forth
standard ... on second thought, try to just write a windowing
vocabulary in Forth that would work on more than three vendors'
implementations on at least two different platforms.)

Forth has not been used here for many years. All the reasons have a
common root: Forth is at least 10 years behind the de facto (but that's
good enough) C standard. To use Forth here, as productively as the C
environment, would require a lot of home grown and supported
development tools. Despite being one of the largest companies in the
world, this is not a computer hardware or software company. Creating
our own complete, personalized software development environment from
the ground up is nothing more than an unjustifiable resource drain.

By the way, I have yet to see a Forth standard which defines a way to
print the name of a word given its compilation token. How, I wonder,
does one write standard debuggers and decompilers?
--
Chuck Eaker / P.O. Box 8, K-1 3C12 / Schenectady, NY 12301 USA
eaker@crd.ge.com        eaker@crdgw1.UUCP       (518) 387-5964

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (Mitch Bradley) (01/11/91)

> >-- so the fact that it has not been part of Forth Standards is hardly
> >evidence of the sluggishness and perversity of the Forth community --
> >but is, rather, evidence that previous Standards teams have understood
> >the nature of Forth.

>  Oh, oh, oh!  That surely is beautifully written, especially the final
>  phrase!

Beautifully written, perhaps, but irrelevant.

The "nature of Forth" is an abstract thing that is largely a matter of
one's personal set of programming values.  Some people appear to be
trying to use it as a decision criteria.  As such, it is pretty useless,
because it is so imprecise and so subjective.

Regardless of the "nature of Forth", whatever that is, the "nature of the
computing world" has changed by a factor of about 200 since the Forth 83
standards team last met.  This is an objectively measureable.  Consider
the price per bit of RAM or disk storage, the number of bits per unit
volume, the speed of processors.

In addition, personal computing in general has changed from an interesting
hobby for technonerds to a huge business.

A factor of 200 in 8 years is extraordinary.  It changes every tradeoff.

Forth must adapt to the new "climate" or die.

Mitch