[net.movies] Charley

waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) (10/10/85)

A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?

                                 -- Walt Tucker
                                    Tektronix, Inc

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (10/12/85)

In article <5738@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:
>A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
>that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
>(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
>read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?
>
>                                 -- Walt Tucker
>                                    Tektronix, Inc

I believe it was Ray Bradbury

Hank Buurman
hankb@dadla

In article <1125@teklds.UUCP>, hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) writes:
>In article <5738@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:
>>A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
>>that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
>>(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
>>read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?
>>
>>                                 -- Walt Tucker
>>                                    Tektronix, Inc
>

>I believe it was Ray Bradbury
>
>Hank Buurman
>hankb@dadla

My copy sez Daniel Keyes (takes a Dan to know a Dan).  Is this a Ray Bradbury
pen name?
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

ph@wucec2.UUCP (Paul Hahn) (10/13/85)

>>>A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
>>>that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
>>>(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
>>>read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?
>>>
>>>                                 -- Walt Tucker
>>>                                    Tektronix, Inc
>>

>>I believe it was Ray Bradbury
>>
>>Hank Buurman
>>hankb@dadla
>
>My copy sez Daniel Keyes (takes a Dan to know a Dan).  Is this a Ray Bradbury
>pen name?

	No.
						--pH
/*
 *	"It grew.  It got big!"
 */

gersh@dartvax.UUCP (Jeff A. Gershengorn) (10/14/85)

In article <1125@teklds.UUCP> hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) writes:
>In article <5738@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:
>>A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
>>that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
>>(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
>>read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?
>>
>>                                 -- Walt Tucker
>>                                    Tektronix, Inc
>

>I believe it was Ray Bradbury
>
>Hank Buurman
>hankb@dadla

    No, the author is Daniel Keys.

"The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
 Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
                                                -P. Floyd

Jeff Gershengorn '88        ihnp4!dartvax!gersh
Hinman Box 1772     Dartmouth College       Hanover, New Hampshire 03755
Real World:   5 Fairway Drive    San Rafael, CA 94901

akhtar@ccvaxa.UUCP (10/16/85)

> re: author of Flowers for Algernon.

No it wasn't Ray Bradbury. It was Daniel Keynes (sp?)

	P.Akhtar
	....uiucdcs!ccvaxa!akhtar

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (10/16/85)

In article <123@druhi.UUCP> blondin@druhi.UUCP (BlondinDJ) writes:
>>In article <5738@tekecs.UUCP> waltt@tekecs.UUCP (Walt Tucker) writes:
>>>A movie that I've always enjoyed was the 1968 film "Charley".  I know
>>>that this film was based on a book entitled "Flowers for Algernon"
>>>(I believe Algernon was the mouse).  Lately I've had a hankering to
>>>read said book, but I don't know the author.  Can anyone tell me who it is?
>>>
>>>                                 -- Walt Tucker
>>>                                    Tektronix, Inc
>>
>>I believe it was Ray Bradbury
>>Hank Buurman
>
>	Nope, it was Daniel Keyes

I stand corrected, I apologize, forgive me, I,m sorry, HELP!

no more email please.(-:

Hank Buurman

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/16/85)

I looked this one up:

      FLOWERS FOR ALGERNON by Daniel Keyes, copyright 1959.
          winner of the 1960 Hugo Award for best Novelette.

it can be found in THE HUGO AWARD WINNERS, Volume 1, edited by Isaac Asimov.

                                     Hal Render
                                     University of Illinois
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiuc.csnet     render@uiuc.arpa

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (10/18/85)

Incidentally, the name of the film is CHARLY, and if possible, the L
should be backwards.  It was based, supposedly on the novelet by Daniel
Keyes, not the novel.  I liked the novelet, but novel immediately
became one of my favorite books of all time.  So much so that I was
really disappointed by the film.  I did remember, however, lines from
the film that I had heard before and thought about as a young kid.
This convinces me that I did see the TV play "The Short Life of Charley
Gordon" when it was first broadcast in 50's.  I must have been pretty
young at the time.  Cliff Robertson starred in the TV play also (which
was why he always wanted to do the film).  The worst thing I ever saw
on Broadway was the musical CHARLEY AND ALGERNON.  Never heard of it?
Good, count yourself lucky.  The play made Gordon's great achievment
as a genius taking Alice Kinian to bed.  It was horrible.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

mer@prism.UUCP (10/27/85)

Thanks, Mark, for correcting the spelling.  Misspelled names tend to drive
me crazy, and I'm never quite sure whether it's worth correcting or not.

Meredith Lesly {mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!mer