[comp.lang.forth] What is a Standard

UNBCIC@BRFAPESP.BITNET (01/28/91)

'Forth can't be a standard language as it is not used by most part of the
"computers" community.'

I don't think this way, and this is why I said that:

> > You cannot say that a feature is not standard because it isn't used
> > by most part of the Forth community.

> Are you kidding?  What does "standard" mean to you?

Forth, today, is a "niche language". It can be standard in this niche, and, if
this happen, it would be a "standard language".

I think that something standard is something that is used in the "same way" by
all the people that use this thing.

If you complain about wether this features, that are not used by most part of
the Forth community, should be put in the ANS Forth, then you are right. The
counter-argments for this was already posted.

Surely, there is no need for everything, but we are REALLY not putting
everything. In first place, we are not putting things (please, forget CASE)
that can be implemented with dpANS Forth already existing words.

> - Brad

                              (8-DCS)
Daniel C. Sobral
UNBCIC@BRFAPESP.BITNET

ns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Nick Solntseff) (01/30/91)

In article <9101282232.AA20011@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> UNBCIC%BRFAPESP.BITNET@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:

>I think that something standard is something that is used in the "same way" by
>all the people that use this thing.
>
>Daniel C. Sobral
>UNBCIC@BRFAPESP.BITNET

A better term for the above would be "conventional."  Anything that is used
in "the same way" by all people by agreement is used in "a conventional
manner" or "by convention."

A "standard" implies much more than this.  If you build a house, and the
electrical wiring does not meet the standard code of wiring practice, the
installer can be jailed, or at the very least have his license to practice
revoked.

We do we Forthers want our standard to be placed in this interval?

Nicholas Solntseff

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (01/30/91)

ns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Nick Solntseff) writes:

:Sender:ns@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca

:In article <9101282232.AA20011@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU: UNBCIC%BRFAPESP.BITNET@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:
ds>
ds>I think that something standard is something that is used in the "same way" by
ds>all the people that use this thing.
ds>
ds>Daniel C. Sobral

ns>A better term for the above would be "conventional."  Anything that is used
ns>in "the same way" by all people by agreement is used in "a conventional
ns>manner" or "by convention."

ns>A "standard" implies much more than this.  If you build a house, and the
ns>electrical wiring does not meet the standard code of wiring practice, the
ns>installer can be jailed, or at the very least have his license to practice
ns>revoked.

ns>We do we Forthers want our standard to be placed in this interval?

ns>Nicholas Solntseff

From a technical point of view there are two types of standards;
defacto and dejure.

A defacto standard is one based on usage by either the world as a whole
or an 800-pound gorilla (in the computer industry we call the gorilla IBM).

A dejure standard is one based on law such as any standard approved by
the International Standards Organization (ISO) or, in the United States,
the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).  (Yes, an ANSI or ISO
standard has legal as well as technical status.)

From a pragmatic point of view, if a dejure standard exists any product
which claims to be that which the standard defines must conform to the
standard.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.