[comp.lang.forth] beginners need help

caw@munnari.oz.au (Chris Wright) (02/03/91)

We have developed a programme that runs on Macs and PC's for
acquiring data from patient monitors in Intensive Care Units.
We need an RS 232 port, and the ability to toggle a +/- 5V pin (
to control some pumps). We have written them both in Forth
(MacForth and f83), and would like to progress to putting
the application in an embedded controller.
What's the best way to get started, and learn about things like
target compilation, device interfacing &c...

Any and all pointers will be most gratefully received, including
journal references, books we should read, mags we should subscribe to
and THINGS-NOT-TO-DO!!1

cheers

chris wright

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
chris wright - a guest on melbourne university
	       if the mail bounces, try caw@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.u

jwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu (Jack J. Woehr) (02/08/91)

In article <6610@munnari.oz.au> caw@munnari.oz.au (Chris Wright) writes:
>We have developed a programme that runs on Macs and PC's for
>acquiring data from patient monitors in Intensive Care Units.
>We need an RS 232 port, and the ability to toggle a +/- 5V pin (
>to control some pumps). We have written them both in Forth
>(MacForth and f83), and would like to progress to putting
>the application in an embedded controller.

	Chris ... send me your mail address and we'll send you a
catalog of embedded controller boards running Forth-83 starting
around a hundred dollars.

--
# ..!apple!dunike!nyx!koscej!jax       # "Therefore, the L-RD G-d  #
# ..!hplabs!hp-lsd!oldcolo!jax         #   sent him FORTH ..."     #