[comp.lang.forth] What If Nobody Cared?

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (06/27/90)

>wil baden, linguist, author, and creator of F83X/S for the Apple
>and the PC, writes:

>What if they made a standard and nobody cared?

	Wil, that's a pretty good description of the Forth community in
general in regards the process. But there are several hundred very active
participants that do care.

>The purpose of a standards committee is to standardize, not invent.   Creative
>impulses should only be used to resolve existing conflicts.  Only  something
>that already exists can be standardized.

	That seems to make sense, but then again, so does representative
democracy, at least on paper ... :-)

>Forth doesn't have to become a new and different language every time Forth
>programmers get together.

	The available empirical evidence does not support your contention,
I fear.

>If ANS Forth is a new language, should anyone bother with it?

	Yes, if it convinces the boneheads who make up the other 97%
of computer science that Forth is now a *real* language with this
ANSI seal of Good Housekeeping. Haven't you ever heard of marketing? :-)

 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///
 <JAX on GENIE             >< for ANS  > \\\  /// ///====\\\   ///\\\
 <SYSOP RCFB (303) 278-0364><  Forth   >  \\\/// ///      \\\ ///  \\\

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/29/90)

Category 10,  Topic 38
Message 2         Thu Jun 28, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 02:02 CDT

 WB>The purpose of a standards committee is to standardize, not invent.
 WB>Creative impulses should only be used to resolve existing
 WB>conflicts.

   I'm afraid they can use "to resolve existing conflicts" to justify
anything.  I think it has already been used to excuse INVERT and  dropping
VOCABULARY and adding the funny new division words and adding  CATCH & THROW,
etc.

  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ir230@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (john wavrik) (07/04/90)

Jack Woehr writes:

| >If ANS Forth is a new language, should anyone bother with it?

| Yes, if it convinces the boneheads who make up the other 97%
| of computer science that Forth is now a *real* language with this
| ANSI seal of Good Housekeeping. Haven't you ever heard of marketing? :-)

ANSI does not approve or disapprove of languages. It primarily
publishes Standards documents. It also establishes procedures which
attempt to assure that the document it publishes is the definitive
version of the language. ANSI does not approve languages, it merely
makes available the instrument others need to make that judgement. An
ANSI Standard is not a diploma --it is much more like a final exam.

Some languages go through a development pattern from infancy through
the terrible teens to maturity. An ANSI Standard serves to define a
mature language to achieve portability. It also has the side effect of
announcing to the world that the language is now grown up and has
arrived at a stable state.

An ANSI Standard will not buy respectability -- but it will buy
scrutiny. Many of the people that Mr. Woehr refers to as "boneheads"
are people who make their living studying, developing, and using
computer languages. He is correct in identifying their opinion as
important in "marketing" a language.

Forth made an impression in the "bonehead" community about 10 years
ago when it appeared on the scene as one of the most portable
languages in existence -- and proved itself capable of exploiting the
characteristics of the (then) newly available small microcomputers. My
impression is that Forth was not rejected by the "boneheads", but that
it appeared to be an infant prodigy: something that would require a
great deal of nurture and development if it were to live up to its
potential. The bonehead community's immediate needs were for a
language more fully developed and highly supported than Forth was at
the time. I suspect that there are not a few "boneheads" who learned
Forth 10 years ago and have always wondered "What ever became of
Forth?" -- they'll probably be curious enough to acquire the ANSI
document to find out (and share their impression with others). Some,
for a modest consultant fee, will even share their impressions with
industry clients -- now that an official definition of the language is
at hand.

My customers need evidence that Forth has finally become portable and
powerful without losing the simplicity and flexibility that makes it
uniquely suited for certain types of work. I suspect that a generic
statement is that industry clients are looking for evidence that the
language to be used on their job is portable, stable, and respected.
A good strong ANSI Standard could go a long way toward providing the
evidence.
                        BUT

It is dangerous to believe that an ANSI-Standard, *regardless of
content*, will win approval. It is safer to assume that the ANSI
document will be read, as a definition of the language, by people
who know a great deal about computers, computer languages,
mathematics, etc. and could cause a definitive rejection of the
language just as well as tentative acceptance.

                                                  John J Wavrik
             jjwavrik@ucsd.edu                    Dept of Math  C-012
                                                  Univ of Calif - San Diego
"We will release no Standard                      La Jolla, CA  92093
   before its time"
                   --Charles "Chuck" Taylor

a684@mindlink.UUCP (Nick Janow) (07/04/90)

An ANSI approved standard also means that there are enough people serious
enough about a language to go to all the time, trouble and expense of
developing it.

Now is the time for a push on marketing.  If the various computer and
programming publications were flooded (minor flood?) with articles praising
FORTH, showing how well it handles problems, how it reduces programming time,
how the new ANSI standard ensures portability (use creative exaggeration (-: ),
etc, FORTH could gain a lot of new users.  Positive reinforcement would come
into effect: the more articles written, the more interest there is in FORTH,
and therefore more people writing.  It worked for C.

Now is also a good time to add to bookstore "shelf-inches" for FORTH.  There's
certainly going to be at least one book (ANSI Standard FORTH); adding a few
more titles soon after might give the impression, "Hey, there's something
happening with this language.  Maybe I should take a look."

The ANSI standard is a great opportunity for renewing interest in FORTH; it
would be sad to see it wasted.  :(

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/28/91)

Category 10,  Topic 38
Message 10        Sun Jan 27, 1991
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 14:59 EST

From Phil Koopman:

> Those who don't make an effort to actually use the new (proposed)
 > standard for real work will not have earned the right to complain
 > when the final version is issued.

By the same reasoning, those who haven't tried cocaine have no right
 to condemn it.  :-)

Speaking as a user, I'm not about to migrate all of my existing, in- progress,
and about-to-be-written code to a new "standard" until I'm convinced that the
standard is stable.  Even then, I'm more inclined to let attrition do the work
(I've still got some fig-Forth code around here).  Sure, I'll try out a sample
implementation of the dpANS, but I won't be doing "real work" with it (even if
someone DID bring out a sample dpANS for the Super8).

- Brad
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/28/91)

Category 10,  Topic 38
Message 11        Sun Jan 27, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 15:04 CST

 Phil Koopman writes:
 >Presumably, there will be enough time for this process to happen (a
 >few months). Those who don't make an effort to actually use they new
 >(proposed) standard for real work will not have earned the right to
 >complain when the final version is issued.
  I'd just like to state my objection to the above and announce that I  will
not be bound by it.
  I do not think the "right to complain" needs to be "earned."  I  believe it
inheres in each human being.  In fact, if we use the  guideline of 'existing
practice', anyone has the right to complain  about anything he wishes.
Naturally, others retain the right to *say*  someone else has no right to
complain, as that, in essence, is just  another complaint.
  You can even tell clients "test this program before you put it into
production or don't complain to me about it not working right!" and it
doesn't do any good.  If a bug appears while it's in production,  they'll
complain whether they tested as they "should have" or not.
  -- Frank
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/11/91)

 Date: 02-06-91 (17:50)              Number: 1034 of 1069 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 1031
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: WHAT SHOULD THE STANDARD      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

    >Ray... you should take another look at BASIS and think long and
    >hard about lending your name to pushing this thing thru...

 In the first place, I doubt if my name would cut any ice with the FORML
 types who seem to be driving the X3J14 process these days.  In the
 second place, the BASIS will have to stand or fall on its own merits.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----