[net.movies] Totally bad movies: Schick-Sunn Classics

msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) (10/14/85)

In all this talk of bad movies, I'm surprised nobody has
mentioned Schick-Sunn Classic Productions (of Salt Lake
City -- are they connected with the LDS church?) producers
of such rubbish as Hangar 18.  I remember Siskel and The
Fat One saying that one should regard the Shick-Sunn logo
as a warning to stay away.

The one film of theirs that I have seen was so bad I've
filed the title in the round file and cannot retrieve it.
It was about a battle ship that travelled from 1942 to
198? during an experiment to make it radar invisible.  It
is one of the most boring films I've ever endured.  The
acting was worse than amateurish, the special effects were
ludricous and tension was nonexistent.

I nominate a new template for the list

	Schick-Sunn Classic Productions

		  present

		     *
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@saber.UUCP,  sun!saber!msc@decwrl.ARPA

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/16/85)

> The one film of theirs that I have seen was so bad I've
> filed the title in the round file and cannot retrieve it.
> It was about a battle ship that travelled from 1942 to
> 198? during an experiment to make it radar invisible.  It
> is one of the most boring films I've ever endured.  The
> acting was worse than amateurish, the special effects were
> ludricous and tension was nonexistent.
>
> I nominate a new template for the list

Sounds like "Philadelphia Experiment".  I enjoyed it, but to each his
own.  I'll bet you saw "Star Wars *" but never saw "Plan Nine from
Outer Space". "Philadelphia Experiment" lies somewhere in between.

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (10/17/85)

In article <1805@saber.UUCP> msc@saber.UUCP (Mark Callow) writes:
>The one film of theirs [Schick-Sunn] that I have seen was so bad I've
>filed the title in the round file and cannot retrieve it.
>It was about a battle ship that travelled from 1942 to
>198? during an experiment to make it radar invisible.  It
>is one of the most boring films I've ever endured.  The
>acting was worse than amateurish, the special effects were
>ludricous and tension was nonexistent.

This sounds like "The Philadelphia Experiment".  I just watched it last
week on cable.  While I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone paying
money to see it, I would not say that it was Totally Bad.  Hollywood has
always had trouble making good science fiction films, and this was just
one of their standard mediocre productions.  There were, however, a few
good "future shock" moments, although nothing like the "past shock" in
"Back to the Future".
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

owen@rtp47.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) (10/29/85)

>> The one film of theirs that I have seen was so bad I've
>> filed the title in the round file and cannot retrieve it.
>
>Sounds like "Philadelphia Experiment".

It does indeed sound like "Philadelphia Experiment," and while the
movie was admittedly bad, try the book - a real page turner.  It
kept me up all night trying to figure out what was going to happen.
Same central idea (trying to turn ships radar invisible), totally
different plot (no one goes to the future).

						Karl

--

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC