[net.movies] New Totally Bad Movie

lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) (10/07/85)

How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
movie generated as much attention as it did.

jw@mck-csc.UUCP (Jeffrey Weiss) (10/08/85)

> How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
> months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
> movie generated as much attention as it did.

How dare you!!!!  If this makes it into the TBM list, I will hang up
net.movies forever!!!!

bch@mcnc.UUCP (Byron C. Howes) (10/09/85)

In article <1568@bbncca.ARPA> lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) writes:
>How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
>months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
>movie generated as much attention as it did.

Oh no you don't!  While this is not what I would call a terrific film, it
has a number of not totally bad things about it that deserve mention.  First,
for the record, it did generate a top 40 hit ("I Can Dream About You") which
is prima facie evidence for it not being a "Totally Bad" film.

Beyond that there is (1) a much better than average performance by Willem
Dafoe as the kinky gang leader you love to hate, (2) A dance sequence by
Marin Jahan (Jennifer Beals' body in "Flashdance") that'll bring 'em
right off the farm, (3) a remarkable cameo by Ed Begley, Jr. ("St. Elswhere" --
among lots of other things) as an urban hermit/bum and (4) a very creditable
performance by Amy Madigan which saves the film from Michael Pare, Rick Moranis
and Diane Lane's throwaways.  Ry Cooder's contributions to the score are also
worth a listen, though they are often overpowered by the action.

I confess to being entranced by "Streets of Fire"'s vision of the future as
a seamless quilt of urban neighborhoods, sort of like city/states, each with
its own private police force.  It's kind of the ultimate deevolution of
the gang society, and works at least as a literary device.

"Streets of Fire" fails because it doesn't seem to take itself seriously
enough.  It's as if the director didn't believe enough in the material to
try to make a worthwhile film out of it.  Most of the dialog scenes look
like somebody accidentally left the film running while the actors were
rehearsing.  Anything good here was done by the actors, not the production
crew.

Whoever edited this film never heard the word "continuity" and should
not be allowed into a cutting room again.  The editing is so bad it even
obscures the cinematography.  Still, the film has redeeming qualities --
enough to keep it off the "totally bad" list.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) (10/10/85)

Ok, I'll go along with the music, dance sequence, and a few minor characters as
having been "not totally bad".  I guess I was reacting from an emotional level
- "Streets of Fire" was released as an 'A' film with lots of publicity and I
still think it bit the big one.

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (10/11/85)

> In article <1568@bbncca.ARPA> lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) writes:
> >How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
> >months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
> >movie generated as much attention as it did.

> I confess to being entranced by "Streets of Fire"'s vision of the future as
> a seamless quilt of urban neighborhoods, sort of like city/states, each with
> its own private police force.  It's kind of the ultimate deevolution of
> the gang society, and works at least as a literary device.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "Streets of Fire" was set in the 50's
not the future.

And just to add my two cents, I agree it wasn't the greatest movie in the
world but it was alot better than most of the crap on the local pay tv
channel.
						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/11/85)

> Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "Streets of Fire" was set in the 50's
> not the future.
>
> And just to add my two cents, I agree it wasn't the greatest movie in the
> world but it was a lot better than most of the crap on the local pay tv
> channel.

Strange, that's where I saw it.

place@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/14/85)

While flipping through cable channels I came across the beginning of
"Streets of Fire" and was totally sucked in by it.  I could not take
my eyes off the screen.  It was so stylish, so creative.  Too bad
they couldn't have come up with a screenplay to match.  I still
enjoyed it, but when I look back now I think of it as a very stylish,
exotic B movie.

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (10/17/85)

In article <142@mck-csc.UUCP> jw@mck-csc.UUCP (Jeffrey Weiss) writes:
>> How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
>> months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
>> movie generated as much attention as it did.
>
>How dare you!!!!  If this makes it into the TBM list, I will hang up
>net.movies forever!!!!

One of my favorites, actually.

| ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"                                  |
|Roger B.A. Klorese                                                            |
|Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772        |
|UUCP:                                 ARPA:                                   |
|decvax-\    bang-\                        celerity!celtics!roger@sdcsvax.ARPA |
|ucbvax--\   akgua-\                                                           |
|ihnp4----\-sdcsvax-\-celerity!celtics!roger                - or -             |
|- or -                                      celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA          |
|seismo----\harvard---\bu-cs!celtics!roger                                     |

In article <773@rduxb.UUCP> jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) writes:
>> In article <1568@bbncca.ARPA> lcliffor@bbncca.ARPA (Laura Frank Clifford) writes:
>> >How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
>> >months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
>> >movie generated as much attention as it did.
>
>> I confess to being entranced by "Streets of Fire"'s vision of the future as
>> a seamless quilt of urban neighborhoods, sort of like city/states, each with
>> its own private police force.  It's kind of the ultimate deevolution of
>> the gang society, and works at least as a literary device.
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought "Streets of Fire" was set in the 50's
>not the future.
>
>And just to add my two cents, I agree it wasn't the greatest movie in the
>world but it was alot better than most of the crap on the local pay tv
>channel.
>						Joseph M. Dakes
>						AT&T Bell Laboratories
>						Reading, PA
>						rduxb!jmd

Actually, it's a fable... in a place out of time.  If I had to choose,
I'd say "future", tho.

shiva@duts.UUCP (10/17/85)

> How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
> months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
> movie generated as much attention as it did.

Hey, man this was stylized art, you dig me cat?
And anyway I think that the opening number was one of the best
(contemporary) musical sequences ever committed to film.
So there's one redeeming feature......

                 Shiva, Amdahl

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/18/85)

In article <131@duts.UUCP> shiva@duts.UUCP writes:
>> How about last year's "Streets of Fire".  I saw this on a cable a couple of
>> months ago and was appalled at how lousy it was.  I couldn't' believe this
>> movie generated as much attention as it did.
>
>Hey, man this was stylized art, you dig me cat?
>And anyway I think that the opening number was one of the best
>(contemporary) musical sequences ever committed to film.
>So there's one redeeming feature......
>
>                 Shiva, Amdahl

You can't be serious.  If that's the best feature of this movie, it
is one of the best nominations for the totally bad movies list.

b2@magic.UUCP (Bryan Bingham) (10/19/85)

      What about "Galaxy of Terror"?  This turkey came out in '81 I think,
      produced by Roger Corman, with several recognizable faces, including
      the girl (Jonie?) from Happy Days.   I walked out in the early-middle,
      after the giant centipede/insectoid stripped, humped, and killed
      one of the starlets.  Another guy bought it when some crystals of
      living glass that he had used as throwing knives but had abandoned
      turned on him and threw themselves into his skin and burrowed into
      his body.  I had no idea what was supposed to be going on, and why
      this group of people were being slaughtered.  There is a faint
      possibility this movie might have had some moments later that
      could be rated above "terrible", but I doubt it very much.
      Every moment I saw stank like raw sewage enchanced with
      rotting skunk corpses.

      b2
      b2@bellcore
      ihnp4!bellcore!b2
      "b2 or not...no that not's right.............never mind"

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (10/19/85)

Very interesting.  One evening I was curious about THE NATURAL and my
wife and a friend were more interested in seeing STREETS OF FIRE.  We
all came out raving about how good the films we had seen were.  As it
turned out, when we each saw the film we had missed, we each thought
the first film we saw was much better than the second.  Evelyn really
did not think very much of THE NATURAL, but was still quite impressed
with STREETS OF FIRE.  I liked some of the style of STREETS OF FIRE,
but I thought it really was just a bad Western in another setting.
Incidentally, there seems to be some confusion as to where and when the
film is set.  The film says clearly "Another time... Another place..."
This is an excuse to mix elements of the 50's, the present, and the
future.  I disliked the film, but if somebody is serious about calling
it a Totally Bad Film, they're nuts.  They can't have seen too many
films without seeing a lot worse than STREETS OF FIRE.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper

trudel@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jonathan D.) (10/21/85)

>       What about "Galaxy of Terror"?  This turkey came out in '81 I think,
>       produced by Roger Corman, with several recognizable faces, including
>       the girl (Jonie?) from Happy Days.   I walked out in the early-middle,
>       after the giant centipede/insectoid stripped, humped, and killed
>       one of the starlets.  Another guy bought it when some crystals of
>       living glass that he had used as throwing knives but had abandoned
>       turned on him and threw themselves into his skin and burrowed into
>       his body.  I had no idea what was supposed to be going on, and why
>       this group of people were being slaughtered.

Oh, no, I beg to differ!  If you had stayed through, you would have learned
that the place they were at was an alien training facuility(sp?).  The
site was a gigantic complex set up so that anything imaginable was possible.
Moreover, the place analyzed the  fears of anyone who entered, and
created a reality out of them.  Those who could not overcome their innermost
fears died by their fears.

You don't follow?  Let me explain:  The starlet you mention was killed
because she was terrified of bugs, and being held captive for all the reasons
that killed her.  The guy with the crystals (Abdulla, we called him) was
some sort of religious zealot similar to the Jedi Knights(think The Force/
lightsabers).  His greatest fear was that he be betrayed by the thing he
had the most faith in, namely the crystals.  I can't remember any of the
other people's fears, but they were there.

If I could see this one again, I would.  Anyway, how can you pass up
such great lines as 'I live and die by the crystals.'
--

					   Jonathan D. Trudel
				     arpa: trudel@blue.rutgers.edu

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (10/21/85)

>       What about "Galaxy of Terror"?  This turkey came out in '81 I think,
>       produced by Roger Corman, with several recognizable faces, including
>       the girl (Jonie?) from Happy Days.   I walked out in the early-middle,
>       after the giant centipede/insectoid stripped, humped, and killed
>       one of the starlets.  Another guy bought it when some crystals of
>       living glass that he had used as throwing knives but had abandoned
>       turned on him and threw themselves into his skin and burrowed into
>       his body.  I had no idea what was supposed to be going on, and why
>       this group of people were being slaughtered.  There is a faint
>       possibility this movie might have had some moments later that
>       could be rated above "terrible", but I doubt it very much.
>       Every moment I saw stank like raw sewage enchanced with
>       rotting skunk corpses.

Ray Walston (My Favorite Martian) also played in it.  You should have
watched the whole thing.  The "theme" is that the place they were exploring
would create their individual nightmares.  The people who died were killed
by their own worst fears.  The survivor was able to confront and control
his fears.  Grade B or C but not totally bad.

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (10/22/85)

> >       What about "Galaxy of Terror"?  This turkey came out in '81 I think,
> >       produced by Roger Corman, with several recognizable faces, including
> >       the girl (Jonie?) from Happy Days.   I walked out in the early-middle,
> >       after the giant centipede/insectoid stripped, humped, and killed
> >       one of the starlets.  Another guy bought it when some crystals of
> >       living glass that he had used as throwing knives but had abandoned
> >       turned on him and threw themselves into his skin and burrowed into
> >       his body.  I had no idea what was supposed to be going on, and why
> >       this group of people were being slaughtered.
>
> Oh, no, I beg to differ!  If you had stayed through, you would have learned
> that the place they were at was an alien training facuility(sp?).  The
> site was a gigantic complex set up so that anything imaginable was possible.
> Moreover, the place analyzed the  fears of anyone who entered, and
> created a reality out of them.  Those who could not overcome their innermost
> fears died by their fears.

     Not having seen the movie, but from the plot synopsis above, it sure
does sound like it's a cheap ripoff of "Forbidden Planet".

owen@rtp47.UUCP (Karl M. Owen) (10/29/85)

>> [Laura Frank Clifford recommends "Streets of Fire" for bad movie list]
>
> I confess to being entranced by "Streets of Fire"'s vision of the future as
> a seamless quilt of urban neighborhoods, sort of like city/states, each with
> its own private police force.  It's kind of the ultimate deevolution of
> the gang society, and works at least as a literary device.
>
>						Byron C. Howes

I too was fascinated by the atmosphere portrayed in "Streets of Fire," and
have a few more good things than Byron to say about it.  I didn't find the
especially good, but in my opinion it was at least competantly (sp?)
edited.  I enjoyed the movie enough that I have (and will) see it again.

							Karl

--

				Karl M. Owen
				Data General, RTP, NC