[comp.lang.forth] Whatever Happened to the C to Forth Compiler?

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (02/19/91)

If you have info on any product including the Haris compiler I'd like it.

Related info is also welcome, ie other compilers with flexible language
input/output, pd implementations, etc.

Does anyone feel that this would be a useful tool?

Thanks, Clyde

A STANDARD! 77 character line lenghts!

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.164344.25781@cbnewse.att.com>, cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
> If you have info on any product including the Haris compiler I'd like it.

The C compiler has existed for a while.  As I understand it,
a reasonably usable version (1.1) will be released soon,
just before they can the remaining software developer at
Harris.

But, this is a C to RTX assembly language compiler, NOT
a C to Forth compiler.  (There is a BIG difference --
the compiler makes use of special-purpose RTX registers,
and assumes the existence of a frame pointer with
memory-resident stack indepenent of the data stack).
And, the code quality, while
adequate, is not great (it is a one-pass compiler that
makes no attempt to keep things on the stack for later
use).  So, I'm willing to bet that it isn't terribly
useful for general-purpose C to Forth code translation.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Internet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.       (412) 935-6697
  Wexford, PA  15090
*** this space for rent ***

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (02/23/91)

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:

>The C compiler has existed for a while.  As I understand it,
>a reasonably usable version (1.1) will be released soon,
>just before they can the remaining software developer at
>Harris.

	The tragedy is that by releasing this sort of software in the
public domain they might be able to save the chip (which they've already
decided to kill anyway). Stallman should send a cupla Da Boys from Da
Free Software Foundation over ta re-arrange their faces :-)

--
 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (02/28/91)

In article <23296@well.sf.ca.us> jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) writes:
> koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:
>
> >The C compiler has existed for a while.  As I understand it,
> >a reasonably usable version (1.1) will be released soon,
> >just before they can the remaining software developer at
> >Harris.
>
> 	The tragedy is that by releasing this sort of software in the
> public domain they might be able to save the chip (which they've already
> decided to kill anyway). Stallman should send a cupla Da Boys from Da
> Free Software Foundation over ta re-arrange their faces :-)

ooohhh, that RMS is a real *MEAN* one.  scares the willies out of
me everytime I see him in public. :-)

I have had an on again/off again interest in writing a forth front end
for the GCC code generator.  It should be fairly easy except for
words like postpone and evaluate.  But I have solved problems like
this before and I will again (and again and again....ad nausum)

--- eric
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956