[net.movies] A Great Movie

upstill@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Steve Upstill) (10/25/85)

   When you've been a film buff as long as I have, it's a rare and welcome
event to see a great film for the first time.  It's even rarer to see a film
you'd hardly heard of, one that has almost no recognition as a classic, and
have it jump immediately into your all-time ten best list.  I saw a movie
like that last Wednesday.  Its title is "A Face in the Crowd".

   Andy Griffith (yes!) stars as a small-time drunk who we first see in jail
being interviewed for a local radio program called "A Face in the Crowd".  The
film chronicles his rise to a superstar of the early days of television, his
effect on his audience, and the effect of his popularity on him.  Patricia
Neal (who?) is the woman who first interviews him, and later loves him,
futilely.

   The picture was directed by Elia Kazan (Streetcar Named Desire, On THe
Waterfront, East of Eden) from a script by Budd Schulberg.  Released in 1957,
this represents the pinnacle of Hollywood social-consciousness filmmaking,
not because of some mushy-headed "message", but due to its astonishing
insight into the new beast of television, and the power with which it carries
the viewer to share it.  In one scene, Andy Griffith's character gives a
two-sentence summary of the nature of the change television would bring to
politics that chilled me to the bone.

   Schulberg's script is a work of literature.  I never heard a wrong line
or an off-character moment, and Griffith's character is as vivid in my mind
as a real human being can be.  Kazan's direction makes you realize the
possibilities of the film medium.  Patricia Neal is admirable, and Walter
Matthau is excellent as a "college-boy" observer of the whole scene. But it
is Andy Griffith who really blew me away.  This is the performance of a
lifetime (his first in a film), and I consider it a major tragedy that he
is not considered one of our great actors (maybe because he has a Southern
accent?).  His is an epic role, both in sweep and detail, and he carried
it off without a single misstep, without a trace of artifice or craft.  Try
as I might, I never once saw anyone but Lonesome Rhodes up there on the
screen.

   You might get the idea that I liked this picture.  You would be correct.
I only hope others will see it and be as amazed as I still am, two days later.
This is the scariest movie I've seen in a long time, maybe forever.

Steve Upstill

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/28/85)

In article <10796@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> upstill@ucbvax.UUCP (Steve Upstill) writes:

I second the recommendation of "A Face in the Crowd".  This was one of those
pictures that not many people saw, but which was liked by almost everyone who
saw it.

>But it
>is Andy Griffith who really blew me away.  This is the performance of a
>lifetime (his first in a film), and I consider it a major tragedy that he
>is not considered one of our great actors (maybe because he has a Southern
>accent?).

Andy Griffith really is a very fine actor.  In my opinion, he was done in
by TV.  His big break was "No Time For Sargeants" on Broadway, then on film.
After that, he was offered a TV show which became vastly successful.  As a
result of that show, he became typecast as the downhome, country-wise, lovable
sheriff of a small Southern town.  The only roles he got were rather dull
characters in rather dull family pictures.  Recently, he's begun to get better
parts, frequently playing villains.  I suppose he made a ton of money off
"The Andy Griffith Show", but it certainly cost him the chance for a major
acting career, or at least delayed him for 20 years.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

leeper@mtgzz.UUCP (m.r.leeper) (10/29/85)

 >When you've been a film buff as long as I have, it's a rare
 >and welcome event to see a great film for the first time.
 >It's even rarer to see a film you'd hardly heard of, one
 >that has almost no recognition as a classic, and have it
 >jump immediately into your all-time ten best list.  I saw a
 >movie like that last Wednesday.  Its title is "A Face in the
 >Crowd".

This is one of a number of very good, very bitter films of the fifties.
Lonesome Rhodes is based somewhat on Arthur Godfrey, though the latter
did not go in for politics.  You did not mention that the film also
introduces Lee Remick as a teenager whom Rhodes marries.   The problem
with the film is that the ending is a little too easy and pat.  I'd
like to see FACE IN THE CROWD shown more, but broadcasters seem to
think that it lacks appeal.  If you want to watch for another film of
similar stature, that is almost forgotten, watch for a film on TV
called THE BIG CARNIVAL.  In theaters it was called ACE IN THE HOLE.
It is the story of how reporter takes a relatively minor story -- a man
trapped in a cave -- and cynically blows it up to a story of national
importance.  Kirk Douglas stars, Billy Wilder directs.  Also watch for
the only slightly better known PATHS OF GLORY, directed by Kubrick.

				Mark Leeper
				...ihnp4!mtgzz!leeper