[comp.lang.forth] Simplification

wmb@MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM (02/26/91)

> Also an aside
> to the ANSI committee: If there is interest in simplifying the wordsets,
> wouldn't it make sense to remove (or move to an extended wordset,) the
> following words: 0= 0< 0> 1+ 1- 2* 2/ and possibly other words which are
> really a simple combination of atomic words?  I understand the origins of

There is not much sentiment in the committee for removing words that have
been in every previous standard and are not broken.  Doing so would be a
pain for programmers and I don't see that it would be of much value.

Who wants to worry about whether or not "0<" is in a system or not?
I don't want to have to preface all my standard programs with:

: missing  bl word  find  nip  0=  ;
missing 0<  .if  : 0<  0 <  ;  .then
missing 0=  .if  : 0=  0 =  ;  .then
missing 0>  .if  : 0=  0 >  ;  .then
etc.

It's just too boring.  For that matter, I wish that all the plausible
conditionals were required.  I just can't understand why some conditionals
are standard but others aren't.  Obviously, you can get by without all of
them, but why make it hard on the poor programmer?  There is enough to
remember about Forth already without having to remember which conditionals
are perversely omitted.

A long time ago, I proposed including all the conditionals (< > = <= >= U<

Mitch Bradley, wmb@Eng.Sun.COM

dcp@world.std.com (David C. Petty) (03/11/91)

In article <9102261407.AA20302@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
wmb%MITCH.ENG.SUN.COM@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:

``I don't want to have to preface all my standard programs with:
``
``: missing  bl word  find  nip  0=  ;
``missing 0<  .if  : 0<  0 <  ;  .then
``missing 0=  .if  : 0=  0 =  ;  .then
``missing 0>  .if  : 0=  0 >  ;  .then
``etc.
``
``It's just too boring.

And yet you (presumably) don't mind adding ``#include <stdio.h>'' to
(virtually) every C program you write.  I find having to include stuff
to be (mildly) boring, too, but not too much of a burden on my
programming in C.  ANS Forth will (currently) have no _standard_
mechanism for including standard libraries, but it is quite acceptable
(for me) to include a preface to my code that I have ``standardized''
--
 David C. Petty | dcp@world.std.com | ...!{uunet,bu.edu}!world!dcp /\
      POBox Two | CIS: 73607,1646   | BIX, Delphi, MCIMail: dcp   /  \