[comp.lang.forth] Forth Engines / Harris

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/18/90)

 Date: 02-16-90 (20:08)              Number: 390 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JOSE BETANCOURT                 Read: (N/A)
 Subj: RTX4000                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

         The third issue of RTXPress from Harris did not mention
 the RTX4000 Embedded Processor.  Is it still in the works?
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/03/90)

 Date: 04-30-90 (09:49)              Number: 470 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX ADD MEMORY         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >        I have asking around for a P16V8S part (as per the manual),
 >        and nobody recognises it.  Can anybody help--is this right?
 >        Or is there some actual brand name or other componant number I
 >        should be specifying?

        Signetics used to make such a part but it is being discontinued.

        I ordered that part from the LATTICE Semiconductor catalog.

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----

 Date: 04-30-90 (08:03)              Number: 471 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: 467
 From: JAN HOFLAND                     Read: 04-30-90 (08:01)
 Subj: HARRIS RTX ADD MEMORY         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Ken,
 Yes, I'm having fun with the rtx2001 board.  I am having to start my
 programming from scratch, but that is part of the fun.  I find the stuff
 in the ROM to be a subset of what I've read about Forth.  Very few tools
 for getting inside of a word; for example, no decompiler.  Maybe that
 will be a fun future project.  In the meantime, it's all I can do to get
 this one working the way I expect.  Managed to get some words defined
 for building and using some queues.  Still much more to go.
 As far as the PAL is concerned,  I can probably program one for you if
 you can generate what you want inside of it.  I can probably find a
 Lattice device to put the program into.  If you still have my mail
 address, send it via that route.  Ideally, a message through Internet
 would be easiest, but I expect that you don't have access to that.  If
 you do, send it to janh@hplsla.HP.COM.
 Regards, Jan

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----

 Date: 05-01-90 (17:52)              Number: 472 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: RTX2001                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hello - I 'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong - messages after
 four-fifty something wrapped around to 327 it seems.
 Anyway - one more addition here to the RTX2001 recipients - just got
 mine yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll be able to complete Phase II.
 Can someone clarify if one is not supposed to add any hardware, or only
 additional memory? Somewhere it says to condense the application to fit
 on the EVB.
-----

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (05/03/90)

>  From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: (N/A)
>  Subj: RTX2001                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
>
>  Can someone clarify if one is not supposed to add any hardware, or only
>  additional memory? Somewhere it says to condense the application to fit
>  on the EVB.

If it fits in the prototype area on the board, you can add it.  In fact,
one of the prize catagories is for a mostly hardware project.  By the
way, if you are using wire-wrap I have found that the TI sockets can
squeeze more chips per square inch because pins can be placed on adjacent
columns.  Other sockets often require skipping a column between pins.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
Senior Scientist at Harris Semiconductor, adjunct professor at CMU.
I don't speak for them, and they don't speak for me.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

 Date: 05-02-90 (08:14)              Number: 477 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: RTX2001                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >condense project to fit on RTX2001AEB

        Anil, I took that with a grain of salt. There is no way
 that the hardware I am going to control will all fit on the
 EB. I'm going to put the expansion memory and the I/O latches
 on board, but the 4-amp power I am switching probably belongs
 *off* board :-) :-)

        If they don't like it, then I guess I don't win, huh? :-)

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 149       Thu May 03, 1990
DANMILLER                    at 21:43 CDT

jax.  i have as source for a $2 8 pin chip to drive a high power mosfet from
5v control line.   built in voltage trippler and zener to drive the hexfet
gate.  the chip and a mosfet would handle muchos amps.  power mosfets are
pretty small. Micrel makes the chip.  I have their data sheet and address. let
me know if you need it. <dan>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

mbutts@mentor.com (Mike Butts) (05/05/90)

Sorry, I just got here.  I was quite an active Forth hack some years ago, but
lapsed.  Lately I went looking for an embedded controller to use in a
personal project and was delighted to turn up some data sheets on the RTX.  Now
I look in comp.lang.forth and see references to some sort of contest, and
a Harris evaluation board.  Would someone kindly bring me up to date on the
contest, and on low-cost RTX stuff in general?  Thanx in advance.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer          KC7IT          503-626-1302(fax:1282)
Mentor Graphics Corporation, 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, Oregon   97005

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/06/90)

 Date: 05-04-90 (11:27)              Number: 483 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 472
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: 05-04-90 (17:28)
 Subj: RTX HARDWARE                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Go ahead and add all you want, but it must fit on the board.  My
 project wouldn't be doable at all if I couldn't add A/D converters to
 the board.
 ---
  * Via Qwikmail 2.01  The Baltimore Sun
-----

 Date: 05-04-90 (17:28)              Number: 488 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 477
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: RTX2001                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I just talked to Harris (Chris Ellis?) but was fumbling for what to ask.
 She said the larger portions of the machine should be described, and it
 would be nice if it could be demonstrated if there was an interest, but
 not as part of the entry being sent in. Also the EB could be worked on
 later than the June 8 deadline as the written part should be in by then.
 In my case I would need encoders, D/A converters, my servo-type drives
 and maybe motors to be able to demonstrate anything. I still cannot
 quite see - with just asingle board what does a spectator look at - the
 code?
-----

 Date: 05-04-90 (11:27)              Number: 484 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: RTXEB NOTE                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 One thing I got bitten by in my programming the RTXEB is that it
 allocates code and data spaces separate.  This means that
 CREATE...ALLOT doesn't do what it usually does.  Here's an example:

 CREATE GOO   20 ALLOT
 : FOO  ... ;

 What this does is create something called GOO, which returns the
 current address in CODE SPACE, which will turn out to be the body of
 FOO!  The 20 ALLOT was in data space, which we wind up not being able
 to get to.

 There may be a better way to do this, but this works for me:

 VARIABLE GOO  18 ALLOT
 : FOO ... ;

 This way, GOO returns the current place in data space.  The use of
 VARIABLE already ALLOTs 2 bytes, so we subtract that from the amount of
 bytes we need for our storage.

 He who has ears, let him hear.  Before I figured this out, it near
 drove me nuts.
 ---

 Date: 05-04-90 (17:10)              Number: 485 (Echo)
   To: JOE BROWN                     Refer#: 462
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I havent even booted up yet; but reading thru the lit it seems memory
 will almost surely be needed. I'd like to run at 2 MHz but dont have a
 replacement ( 4MHz osc.). Since my proposal was a machine to cut and
 weld pipe intersections I cant figure out exactly what I could send as
 an entry; the entry is supposed to fit on the RTXEB.
-----

 Date: 05-04-90 (17:15)              Number: 486 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: 464
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX ADD MEMORY         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 p16v8s certainly sounds strange; the commonest V series is 22V10; that
 has configurable output cells. I have only used the low end PALs, 16L8
 and 16H8. If anyone needs programming (burning) the chip maybe I could
 help.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/07/90)

 Date: 05-05-90 (20:11)              Number: 3213 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JOSE BETANCOURT                 Read: (N/A)
 Subj: RTX                           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

         I read in a mag. an article about Intel's hold on its advanced
 386 family.  A Harris spokeman said that because of this, they would
 continue to target the real-time market in contrast to general purpose
 data processing.  I don't remember the exact quotes, but it indicated
 that the RTX family and offshoots would probably be its main
 microcontroller line
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/26/90)

 Date: 05-19-90 (14:55)              Number: 542 (Echo)
   To: JAN HOFLAND                   Refer#: 520
 From: CHRIS VAISVIL                   Read: NO
 Subj: G> & D>                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JH>Yeah, it is, jax.  Personally, I'm hampered by my limited experience
 JH>programming it.  I'm trying to generate waveforms.  Looks like my max
 JH>speed will be sinewaves at 40 KHz.  Much slower if you want amplitude
 JH>scaling and accurate phase.  I suppose that I will eventually learn h
 JH>to tune it up using selective machine code.  In the meantime, somethi
 JH>that works slow is better than something that doesn't work fast.  Now
 JH>if I could only get hold of the 2010, 10 MHz version...
 JH>  Regards,
 JH>Jan

 Jan, what are you programming? I'm interested in real time production
 of music from the numbers, and 40kHz would do just fine!

 Chris Vaisvil

 NET/Mail : Scintillation BBS - Glen Ellyn, IL (708)953-4922 HST
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/26/90)

 Date: 05-24-90 (17:26)              Number: 543 (Echo)
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 536
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I havent tried yet, but it seems to me the asic bus is just like a data
 bus. G@ and G! dont write to the bus ( although the data will appear
 during the write cycle on the bus); 3 G@ should get the value stored in
 the No. 3 ASIC register. You cant set a bit on the bus - it is not a
 register or port. But you coud set bits if allowed in the 24 internal
 ASIC registers or 8 more external addresses if youve set up something.
 Jack W. thought the external addressing was deactivated, so I'm not sure
 about that. Addresses from 24 to 31 are decoded on GA0,1,2, and I think
 GIO is active only for these external addresses.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/27/90)

 Date: 05-25-90 (06:30)              Number: 547 (Echo)
   To: JAN HOFLAND                   Refer#: 520
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: NO
 Subj: RTX SPEED                     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Unfortunately, I also "hit the wall" as far as speed is concerned.  I
 don't think I'll be able to do all I wanted to do with it.  Just my
 output routine, done in a "first cut" takes about 50 ms, which is about
 100 times slower than I need.  Because of the RTX "mystique," one tends
 to think of the thing as being infinitely fast.  Well, it ain't.

 No chance of anything by June 8.
 ---

 Date: 05-25-90 (17:49)              Number: 553 (Echo)
   To: PETE KOZIAR                   Refer#: 549
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: ASIC BUS                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I've just done a bit of looking at the ASIC bus. I forgot to check the
 read/wr line; but the GIO pulses low nicely in the middle of the address
 setup of GA0,1 & 2. I'm trying to interface directly to rotary encoder
 chips and a dual D/A converter, without any logic. Maybe I'll have to
 give in and add a couple of gates.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/28/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 179       Sun May 27, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 12:53 CDT

 To: Tom Short        Re: RTX carry bit stuck
 > example:
 > BINARY
 > 1 2*C 2*C .
 > gives 111 when it should be 100 (if the carry bit is initially 0).
 No, your carry bit is working fine.  The carry bit is not a dedicated  user
register.  Just like on any microprocessor, it is subject to being  changed by
any instruction that affects it.  When you are in the outer  interpreter and
the '1' is performed you do not know the current state  of the carry.
Immediately after the first '2*C' is performed you can  expect the carry to be
clear.  However, you can no longer count on that  being true by the time the
RTX begins to perform the second '2*C'  because you are in the outer
interpreter!  It performs numerous  instructions between the two '2*C's and
obviously leaves the carry bit  set.  Here is proof:
    HEX
    : X  ( u -)  2*C  2*C  U.  ;
    : Y  ( u -)  CR@ FFFE AND CR!  ( ie clear the carry bit)
                 2*C  2*C  U.  ;
    BINARY
    1  2*C  2*C  U.     -->  111
    1  X                -->  110
    1  Y                -->  100
 Hope this clears things up.    -- Frank
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/29/90)

 Date: 05-25-90 (06:42)              Number: 559 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 543
 From: BRUCE N. BAKER                  Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >I havent tried yet, but it seems to me the asic bus is just like a data
 >bus. G@ and G! dont write to the bus ( although the data will appear
 >during the write cycle on the bus); 3 G@ should get the value stored in
 >the No. 3 ASIC register. You cant set a bit on the bus - it is not a

 Excuse me for butting in but what critter are you all talking about ?

 -BNB

 NET/Mail : Science Factor BBS - Science Technical - 206-562-7083
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/30/90)

 Date: 05-28-90 (12:46)              Number: 565 (Echo)
   To: BRUCE N. BAKER                Refer#: 559
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 BN>Excuse me for butting in but what critter are you all talking about ?

 No harm, you've just stepped into the middle of an ongoing
 discussion on Harris Semiconductor's (and Embedded Systems
 Programming) real-time design contest.  Several people in this
 conference qualified for a free development board, the Harris
 RTX2001A Evaluation board, which includes a Forth-in-hardware
 microcontroller and a Forth development environment. The deadline
 for contest proposals was 4/15/90, but call Harris for more info:
 800-4-HARRIS, x1300.  Ask them for a copy of their RTX literature
 package and newsletter.
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.29 ~
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/31/90)

 Date: 05-28-90 (20:30)              Number: 566 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Jack W. thought the external addressing was deactivated, so I'm not sur
 >about that.

        Actually, I said that I thought I had read a line in the
 manual saying that "use of ASIC bus for peripheral I/O was an
 artifact". Now that I have read manual more carefully, believe it
 works. Concat /GIO with GA0,1,2 for address decoding. ASIC data
 bus appears at JP3. Will be testing this week, will post results.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/01/90)

 Date: 05-28-90 (03:39)              Number: 3290 (Echo)
   To: PETE KOZIAR                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JONAH THOMAS                    Read: NO
 Subj: N'S T'S AND G'S               Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

   Yes, if you make the stack picture be the name of the Forth stack
 word, you do have the problem of remembering which words are present.
 I'd say that's potentially a problem with any Forth, if you switch back
 and forth much you won't remember whether NIP and TUCK are present.
   Different machines will prefer different primitives, sure.  But that
 comes with the territory.  You can optimise for one machine and still
 have code that can be emulated on another, slower.  The traditional
 wisdom is that there's no point trying to optimise Forth code for speed,
 because if you need speed you can code inner loops (or whatever needs to
 be fastest) in assembly.  That will get you more than piddling around
 with using ROT SWAP versus >R SWAP R> .  But what do you do with the
 RTX?  If you're going to optimise an inner loop, you're optimising it in
 Forth, more or less.
   But the RTX2000 isn't really a Forth machine.  It's just one of the
 closest things that's come along so far.  If you work it so the things
 you need bubble up on the stack just exactly when you need them, then
 they don't cost you anything at all in time.  But if what you need
 happens to get buried in the stack, it takes a lot longer to get it than
 it would to get it out of a variable.  The RTX doesn't optimise for
 Forth, it's its own thing, that happens to fit Forth pretty well.  But
 when you look at its primitives and explain them in Forth, some of them
 make no sense.  For example, there's a primitive that gets listed as
 SWAP DROP DUP @ SWAP .  What it does is simple, it gets the number at
 the TOS address, and puts that number in NOS, leaving TOS and SOS alone.
 Forth didn't include anything like that, because usually you'd rather
 have the number from memory on TOS where you can use it, and its old
 address just gets in the way.  But the RTX gives you the chance to add
 or subtract a number up to 32 from the address on TOS, still within the
 same 2 cycles!  So some memory operations get real efficient, you can
 get a bunch of fields from a record very quickly.
   Anyway, I figure if you need to optimise, why not get a language that
 makes it as easy as possible?  If you don't care about making it fast or
 small, you can always write sloppy.  If you do need tight fast code,
 it's easier if you know which words are primitives and how they fit
 together.  It isn't hard to make an optimising compiler if the
 programmer gives it easy jobs to do.
   The idea of making stack words look like their operations isn't new.
 Doneil Hoekman wrote an article about it in FD January, 1986.  He made a
 STACK word that interpreted a stack diagram on the spot.  It was slow
 but very flexible.

 NET/Mail : The MATRIX (5 Nodes/1.2 Gig) Birmingham, AL (205) 323-2016
-----

 Date: 05-29-90 (19:14)              Number: 568 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: KENNETH O'HESKIN                Read: (N/A)
 Subj: HARRIS ADD MEMORY             Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

         Anyone get their memory expansion installed using the
         manual example (the 16v8 GAL with KR Lyons' source code)?
         The "marching 1's and 0's" test progamme as supplied will
         crash my system. It has page 0 starting at 4AE0. Elsewhere
         in the Harris documents I believe it states the this
         configuration will start at 8000h.

         Well my system's RAM starts at 4000h; some of the memory
         is claimed by the compiler at bootup, so useable RAM starts
         at 4300h with the dictionary data space. I set H-TOP for 6000h
         and use the (page 0) 40k above it for buffers, which is plenty
         for now. There is an additional 16k mapped in page 1, which can
         be accessed with the @l c!l, etc. That accounts for the 64k.
         I used my own code to test it and its all there as it should
         be. Maybe there's a way of playing around with the code pages
         to remap the memory that I havn't come across yet. Anyway I'm
         happy enough with the present scheme.

 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~ x

 Date: 05-30-90 (01:33)              Number: 569 (Echo)
   To: PETE KOZIAR                   Refer#: 549
 From: KENNETH O'HESKIN                Read: NO
 Subj: ASIC BUS                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 PK>I got the ASIC bus driving LEDS using two 74HC374's and a 74HC138.  N
 PK>PALs required.

         Right enough, but I have the GAL anyhow so I might as well
         enjoy it. I must say it made my decoding problem pretty
         manageable.  Need two 8 bit ports and some handshaking,
         and have the write running fine. I'm using the GAL selects
         to enable my buffers and strobe line, but might need to add a
         gate to make the read strobe properly. Sorting out the asic
         opcodes is also straighforward, once I got it out of my head
         that G@ and G! might somehow be useful for something! I think
         they just threw 'em in as a trap.
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~ x

 Date: 05-30-90 (01:33)              Number: 570 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: NONE
 From: KENNETH O'HESKIN                Read: 05-30-90 (14:45)
 Subj: ASIC                          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

         Actually I ended up soldering some jumpers, and caps to the
         power grids, and the only problems I had with the memory
         wirewrap was because I hadn't soldered the wirewrap strips
         on the header securly. Fixed with a few grams of hot tin.

         The odds are I won't make the deadline either since the
         hardware work has taken up all the time (not that it isn't
         a whole sh*tload of fun, and I must say I'm totally hooked
         on doing more). If I can get my asic work debugged in a couple
         days, might be able to submit a "tiny model" for the contest,
         but doing a full-blown application in 3 days is a pretty tall
         order, even for you aces out there!
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~ You never leave the bus -- Ken Keasy

 Date: 05-30-90 (14:29)              Number: 572 (Echo)
   To: BRUCE N. BAKER                Refer#: 559
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Subject of discussion was the RTX-EB, RTX-20A evaluation board from
 Harris Semiconductor, which a number of callers on the this Forth BBS
 have received as  a Phase I prize in the Harris RTX design contest.
 Seems like this NET hs expanded or changed some; there may be many
 callers who dont have the least idea whatt was.
-----

 Date: 05-30-90 (14:40)              Number: 575 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 566
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Jack - yes I checked it out - it does work. If i ever do anything I
 will be using GIO. no address decoding for me; I intend to run the lines
 out directly to my peripheral chips.

 Date: 05-30-90 (14:42)              Number: 576 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: 569
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: ASIC BUS                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hey there - hold your horses - G@ and G! seem to be exactly what I want
 !!!

 Date: 05-30-90 (14:45)              Number: 577 (Echo)
   To: KENNETH O'HESKIN              Refer#: 570
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: ASIC                          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 You dont have to submit the actual hardware by the deadline; just
 document whatever you have worked out as completely as possible and
 indicate what more would have to be done. I think Harris will contact
 you if they want the board - not sure , but I know only the written part
 is due by the deadline.
-----

 Date: 05-30-90 (15:15)              Number: 580 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 552
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS CONTEST                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Yes, I think that deadline was just plumb unreasonable (insane is
 another word to describe it).  Harris wanted real projects to show off
 the chip, but unless you are working on it full-time, it's impossible
 to get it done in time.  Maybe by the end of the year I'll have mine
 working.
 ---

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/02/90)

 Date: 05-30-90 (08:07)              Number: 582 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: RTX2001A: HALIGN DALIGN       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        Hmmm ... if you create a table in memory in RTX2001A EBForth
 with CREATE and a buncha C,  the dictionary can get misaligned!

 ( for code space use:   )    : HALIGN H @ 1 AND H +! ;
 ( also, for data space: )    : DALIGN R @ 1 AND H +! ;

 may be needed, as in

        : CTABLE CREATE DOES> + ;

        CTABLE FOO 1 C, 2 C, 17 C, 34 C, 99 C, HALIGN

        In this example, if you *don't* use HALIGN, the next word
 you create in the dictionary won't be findable because name header
 will be odd-aligned.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/05/90)

 Date: 06-01-90 (10:39)              Number: 589 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 575
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: 06-01-90 (15:12)
 Subj: HARRIS RTX DESIGN CONTEST     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Hi Jack - yes I checked it out - it does work. If i ever do anything I
 >will be using GIO. no address decoding for me; I intend to run the line
 >out directly to my peripheral chips.

        Thanx! Will wire up shortly thusly.

 Date: 06-01-90 (15:04)              Number: 591 (Echo)
   To: PETE KOZIAR                   Refer#: 580
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: HARRIS CONTEST                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 No way they could get a real project from me; the full proposal I sent
 if manufactured ( in our small qtys) would list for at least about 10
 grand. I went overboard in Phase I; the entry is quite feasible and the
 RTX would be nice if it was easier to work with. But for the effort the
 risk/reward ratio was quite good. For Phase II i'm not so sure, except
 for the 1st and maybe next 2 prizes, the return is not that great. If I
 do manage to send mine in it may be useful mostly to demonstrate a
 peripheral interface.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/11/90)

 Date: 07-06-90 (18:04)              Number: 648 (Echo)
   To: JAN HOFLAND                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: ASCII UPLOAD TO RTX           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 To have  high speed upload to the RTX 2001A Contest board we need to
 look at the definitions of ABORT on page 116 of the EBFORTH Manual
   HEX
 : ABORT
   0 SPR@+ FF00 AND  SPR!  \ Clear parameter stack
   'IDLE @ EXECUTE ;

 and the defintion of QUIT on page 119 of the EBFORTH Manual

   HEX
 : QUIT
   0 STATE !
   -1 SPR@+ 0FF AND SPR!  \ clear return stack
   BEGIN CR QUERY RUN
         STATE @ 0= IF ." OK " THEN
   AGAIN ;

 Write your on version of QUIT to emit a pacing character just before the
 QUERY  like so:

 : XQUIT
   0 STATE !
   -1 SPR@+ 0FF AND SPR!  \ clear return stack
   BEGIN CR  xx  EMIT     \ where xx is desired pacing character
         QUERY RUN
         STATE @ 0= IF ." ok " THEN  \ lower case ok identifies  XQUIT
   AGAIN ;

 Then revector 'IDLE to XQUIT

    ' XQUIT 'IDLE !

 and execute  ABORT

 Configure you COMM program to use your choosen pacing character  xx

 and watch the code blast through at 115200 baud!

 The same technique works with the New micros f68hc11 board except you
 have to do a little hacking to get some of the system values... here is
 the code for the V3.3 roms.  I used the " ~ "  for the pacing character
 for debugging purposes.

 004C CONSTANT UABORT
 0054 CONSTANT WARNING

 : XQUIT  ( -- )
    0 BLK ! [COMPILE] [
    BEGIN
    [ F573 , ]      (  RP!)
    CR
    7E ( ~) EMIT
    QUERY   INTERPRET
    STATE @  0=
    IF ." ok" THEN
    AGAIN ;

 : XABORT ( -- )
    [ F57C , ]      ( SP! )
    [COMPILE] FORTH
    DEFINITIONS
    XQUIT ;

 ' XABORT CFA UABORT !
   -1 WARNING !

 ABORT
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.01 #260s  Do you belong to FIG? Why not join today.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/12/90)

 Date: 07-09-90 (15:12)              Number: 652 (Echo)
   To: JAN HOFLAND                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JOHN SOMERVILLE                 Read: NO
 Subj: HZ TIL IT HURTS               Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I don't think you misrepresented anything. The systems I worked on about
 ten years ago were capable of 1-3 KHz providing one didn't mess with the
 amplitude. If you did mess with the frequency and the amplitude you got
 into a awful non-linear mess due to the feedback system (LVDTs, Load
 Cells), throw in the hydraulic system and it was time to go home. With
 your system you can enlarge the table from 2 to 3 dimensions and have
 linearity over the whole system, the 3rd dimension would handle the
 different displacements. Providing nothing went through the roof ( wall
 or floor ), the system should make it to the limitation of the RTX
 board.

 Or am I full of it?

 Thanks for the info. No doubt I will be asking you more questions as I
 get into the project.

 Date: 07-09-90 (22:11)              Number: 653 (Echo)
   To: JAN HOFLAND                   Refer#: NONE
 From: DARRYL BIECH                    Read: NO
 Subj: RTX                           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Like everyone else, I enjoyed your presentation and particularly the
 "feedback" capabilities that you mentioned. I got a little bit excited
 today when I noticed an article in the April 1990 Electronics &
 Technology Today which mentions a "knock" sensor used in programmed
 automove ignition systems. The "knock" sensor is a piezo-electric
 acceleromet which translates vibrations into signals which are
 interpreted by some programmed system controlling the ignition timing.
 Seeemed to me that your project could be used for this type of thing.
                                                  -d.b.

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/14/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 199       Tue Nov 13, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 04:54 EST

In light of Harris' recently announced (via Phil Koopman) decision to halt
further development of the RTX family, I'd like to open a discussion on the
perceived reasons for this action.  Are stack machines commercially non-
viable?  Or is Harris just feeling the need to tighten its belt, with the RTX
program a convenient victim?

My immediate purpose is a seminar I'm presenting on the RTX family at McMaster
U. in a few weeks.  I'd like to be able to comment on the market success of
this machine, as well as the technical side. I'm looking for opinions from
outside and -- to the extent permitted by nondisclosure rules -- inside
Harris.  (Comments on Novix are also welcome.)

BTW, if anyone at Harris is willing to compile a small C benchmark for me,
please let me know via this medium or (with luck) at
bradford@maccs.mcmaster.ca .   My attempts at Usenet email have bounced.

- Brad
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

krl@jujeh.mlb.semi.harris.com (Ken Lyons) (11/14/90)

For starters, everything to follow is my opinion and not the official
position of Harris.  Besides, Friday is my last day there.

I think the primary reason for cutting funds to the RTX line (which is
not yet self-supporting) is that the market is down and sales are
lousy.  That doesn't necesssarily answer the question, "Why RTX and
not something else?"  It seems that presently the payback is better
for other lines, so the decision appears to be made for short-term
benifits, which is all too usual.

In terms of long-term benifits, there are serious obsticles to
overcome when introducing a new microprocessor architecture, market
inertia for one.  It appears a lot easier for a customer to stick with
a given vendor than to relearn a new architecture.  It is the path of
least resistance to say, "We're an Intel house," or, "We're a Motorola
house."  It takes time to investigate all the possibilities so the
easy or exciting ones are examined while the rest accumulate in a file
cabinet somewhere.  This is not to say that the big companies don't
offer advantages: they have the critical mass of sales to provide 99%
of the expensive support their customers want and still turn a profit.
In addition to this, for a new processor to be exciting it must
provide at least 2X obvious bang for the buck.  When introducing a new
architecture, the improvement factor has a large, application
dependent range, so the advantage is not so obvious.

If after considering all this, you still want to do something new, I
would bet that the intellectual property rights to RTX could be picked
up cheap.  There were many ideas we had to improve the architecture
that may be lost all because of a stubborn refusal to do things right
the first time.  All the same it's been fun; no regrets.

Regards,
Ken Lyons
Hardware Designer, looking.

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov14.150715.28620@mlb.semi.harris.com>, krl@jujeh.mlb.semi.harris.com (Ken Lyons) writes:
> For starters, everything to follow is my opinion and not the official
> position of Harris.  Besides, Friday is my last day there.
I don't work for Harris now, so my opinion is strictly my own as well.

Ken Lyons writes:
> I think the primary reason for cutting funds to the RTX line (which is
> not yet self-supporting) is that the market is down and sales are
> lousy.  That doesn't necessarily answer the question, "Why RTX and
> not something else?"  It seems that presently the payback is better
> for other lines, so the decision appears to be made for short-term
> benefits, which is all too usual.

I think that the "market down/sales lousy" reason (which is superficially
true) is more a convenient excuse for upper-level Harris management
than a reality.  From the market research I saw while at Harris, it
was evident that it _always_ takes at least 3 years for a new proprietary
processor to become self-sufficient (this means one with a new instruction
set, not a next-generation compatible chip).  You can't make money
by selling one- and ten-piece orders to people building prototypes --
but you make lots of money a year or two later when they ramp up
production.  RTX has always been given insufficient resources
(and now, insufficient time) to achieve success within Harris.

Look at the Transputer -- about 10 years and perhaps just barely
there (but, still funded and growing every year).  It is true that
Harris Semiconductor has a tremendous cash flow crunch.  This,
combined with a sector-wide deemphasis of digital technology spelled
doom for RTX despite the fact that it was in reasonably good shape
for long-term customer growth.

So, the demise of RTX had almost nothing to do with technology
problems.  It had something to do with marketing (but, they were
getting smarter and could probably have recovered if given
the chance).  It had something to do with Harris' problems producing
low-cost RTX silicon on their old 2.0 micron fab line (RTX's
can be made for much less than it cost Harris to make them,
thus lowering price, but you really want to be on 1.0 micron
technology to do it).  It had a lot to do with cash flow (which is a
stupid reason to cancel a new processor line when you have N large
customers poised on placing large orders).  It had even more
to do with what Harris would like to call a "deemphasis" on
digital technology, meaning that *any* new proprietary processor
(stack, register, whatever) wouldn't fit into their plan
of concentrating on analog, power, and mixed signal.

I would say that RTX technology still makes sense for systems
that must have high real-time performance at moderate cost.
The question is, who is going to do it?

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
*** this space for rent ***

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/19/90)

 Date: 11-14-90 (08:26)              Number: 211 of 217 (Echo)
   To: B.RODRIGUEZ2 [BRAD]           Refer#: 189
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH ENGINES / HARRIS        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

  Charles Johnsen, president of MISC, Inc., which designed the M-17
 stack machine, opined to me recently that the problem with the RTX was
 that Harris was trying to take this uProc and go head to head with the
 giants of the general purpose microprocessor industry, whereas Charles
 feels that this sort of thing is a niche market and requires niche
 marketing techniques.

  MISC, Inc. aims to capitalize on a perceived descent of microprocessor
 design to the level of a cottage industry. Charles Johnsen predicts that
 before long, microprocessors will be custom-designed for control
 projects the same way that nowaday circuit boards are custom designed
 for control projects.

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/03/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 204       Sun Dec 02, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 00:02 CST

 Harris & the RTX & tears
 .
 I am sorry that Harris has made announcements that will discourage the  use
of the RTX2000 & RTX2001A in new designs.  Perhaps, though, they  did the
honorable thing, rather than leading people on.
 .
 Could they, instead, have said something like:  "The RTX processors  are
perfect.  They are so good that they will work unchanged for the  next 20
years.  We promise to supply them come hell or high-water for  at least the
next 20 years.  We won't build fancier development  environments because they
just don't need them."
 .
 Maybe that's why I'm not a semiconductor manufacturer.  Damn it!   They've
already *spent* the money getting the chips working and writing  the spec
sheets and building their blue box and even (wasted?) a C  compiler.  Consider
it a bubble gum part.  Price it accordingly.  Sell  the RTX2001A for $15 in
singles.  Force people to use it on price alone  whether they like it or not.
(Make 'em an offer they can't refuse.)   It worked a long time ago for the
6502!  It could have worked again, I  think.  It might not even be too late.
They already lost the up-front  investment - what have they got to lose?
Treat it almost like the hex  inverter chips they still make and sell.  What
an opportunity existed.   The window is almost closed, but there is still a
crack.  They don't  have to support it.  $15 in ones and no support - the
Forth community  will support it.  Grass roots and all that.
 .
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/03/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 205       Sun Dec 02, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:53 EST

  .... what Frank said.
    <Harris could've, singles for $15,Forth community support, Stuff>
        .....DITTOS !!!!!!
    Gary    gars@glsrk
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/03/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 206       Sun Dec 02, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 10:57 EST

Yeah.  Harris has just scared me off the RTX family, and by implication, off
Harris digital products for life.  Which is a pity; I could have used the RTX
in my latest project if the price had been lower.  But my greatest fear as a
consultant is recommending a part which then evaporates; Harris has now
completely blown my confidence in them as a sole-source supplier of
*anything*.

If they had just committed to continuing supply, I would have written my own
damn tools.

(BTW, Harris is in good company -- Intel.  After Intel's hoopla a few years
ago about becoming everyone's reliable "sole source", I've been lately calling
them the "sole non-source".)

When I was asked in '87, I told 'em that I could use a part with the RTX
capabilities, but the price had to be below $50.  I'm sorry it never made it;
sorrier still because this seems (from previous comments) to be a result of
Harris' clunky fabrication facilities and not an inherent limitation of the
chip.  Sounds like Harris can't even make a hex inverter for $15, Frank.

Oh, well.  Deep *SIGH* for lost opportunities.
 - Brad

P.S. to everyone who answered my query about the RTX's demise, thanks VERY
much.  It helped a lot in my presentation last Friday. I could have had an RTX
"sale" after that presentation, if the RTX was still a viable product.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

RAYBRO%HOLON%UTRC@UTRCGW.UTC.COM ("William R Brohinsky", ay) (12/03/90)

from Frank: `$15 in ones and no support - the Forth community will support
it.'

Agreed and seconded! With Phil K. to write books that are actually useful
on the RTX machine, and outrageous numbers of places that chip could go,
They'd be nuts not to do just that! (I have about three projects that
I'd throw one into, if they were cheep, and 2 of those projects look
like they could go production...)

But I can't afford to persue a dying chip. Sadness. Tears. Anger.

raybro

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/04/90)

In article <F5F7A398321F00857A@utrcgw.utc.com>, RAYBRO%HOLON%UTRC@UTRCGW.UTC.COM ("William R Brohinsky", ay) writes:
> from Frank: `$15 in ones and no support - the Forth community will support
> it.'
The sad fact is that Harris can't sell an RTX for $15
(at least in quantities of interest to readers
of this net).  That is largely because they are using 2.0 micron
(or 1.5 micron, depending whom you ask) technology.  The
lowest price I recall was about $33 for 8 MHz plastic plcc 2001A's in 1000s.
It isn't that they're gratutitously overcharging, it's that
they just can't make silicon cheaply.

BUT, RTX-class chips could certainly be sold for $15 if you were using
a 1.0 micron fab.  Unfortunately, Harris' Melbourne 1.0 micron fab
never made it on line before the digital "de-emphasis".

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
*** this space for rent ***

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (12/04/90)

  I wish that the RTX was cheaper - I am doing disk controller firmware,
and it would be nice to have a fast processor that did not eat up
the majority of its cycle time doing instruction operand fetches!
(Intel 80C196).

  The problem is that things like the RTX don't make the cut due to
cost (of course, they can let the project be late by several months,
but hey, engineering time is free past 40 hours :^>). Maybe it is time
for a letter writing campaign....

-- Dave Ritchie
ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/07/90)

 Date: 12-03-90 (21:05)              Number: 369 of 380
   To: FRANK SERGEANT                Refer#: 341
 From: DENNIS MCCUNNEY                 Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH ENGINES / HARRIS        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 FS3 Treat it almost like the hex  inverter chips they still make and
 FS3 sell.  What an opportunity existed.   The window is almost
 FS3 closed, but there is still a crack.  They don't  have to support
 FS3 it.  $15 in ones and no support - the Forth community  will
 FS3 support it.  Grass roots and all that.

     Er, how large do you perceive the Forth community to be?  The
 difficulty with semiconductor technology is the up-front cost:
 designing, debugging, and tooling up for production.  Actually *making*
 one more isn't that expensive on an incremental cost basis, but adding
 in the amortisation of the up-front cost changes the numbers *very*
 quickly.  It worked for the 6502 because millions of them wound up in
 low-end Apple, Atari, and Commodore machines.  I can't really see that
 happening with the Harris chip.

 -> MegaMail v2.01 #0:12/03/1990 - R/O Capable - Route to ->RUNNINGB

 PCRelay:RUNNINGB -> #3 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10                Running Board 2126541349/DS/2125191791/HST/
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 215       Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:55 CST

 PK> The sad fact is that Harris can't sell an RTX for $15
 .
 Phil, I don't know what you mean when you say that.  Do you mean that  they
can't do so and make a profit?  Or, do mean no one would be  willing to
purchase it at that price?
 .
 I believe you mean the former.  In that case, do you mean their  marginal
cost per chip exceeds $15?  Or do you mean their all-in costs  including
amortizing all of the start up, development, engineering,  technical writing,
and the air-condititioning bills for the previously  larger staff would exceed
$15 per chip?  I contend that at most only  the marginal costs should be
considered now.  Consider the rest gone.   Now they can get into the uP market
"for free."
 .
 I think I understand your point about 2 micron vs 1 micron.  If so,  they can
lose a little on each chip until they can convert to 1 micron.   If the demand
isn't there at $15 then they don't lose much 'cause they  don't sell many
pieces. If the demand IS there, then they convert to  the profitable 1 micron.

 .
 Of course I don't know enough about the semiconductor business.   Doesn't
Harris own the entire former RCA semiconductor facilities?  And  the
GE/Intersil facilities?  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that  among that
conglomeration there ought to be the ability to make an  already designed and
debugged uP so it CAN be sold profitably for $15.
 .
 Part of my point is that I doubt the $33 for PLCCs in 1000s comes  close to
making them a profit if the project closes down as they will  never recover
their up front costs.  But $15 in singles that lets the  project continue
could well make a profit year after year.
 .
 Of course the $15 is out of thin air.  $12?  $19.57?  Take your pick.   I
HOPE they keep/obtain enough customers that it does continue,  regardless of
their pricing strategy.  We won't know for sure if my  plan would work unless
they try it.  What if they'd done it a year ago  as an offensive move?
 .
 The way it looks to me now is they are planning to sell the RTX as a  low
volume specialty item at a specialty price.  If so, maybe it will  carry on
year after year and pay for itself (all its development having  been written
off as a loss).  I think with the low pricing I suggested  it could have been
turned into a high volume item and paid off all its  development costs.  I
even see that as a remote possibility now (I'm  ever the optimist).
 .
 I want to make it clear that I'm not asserting that anything I've said  is
correct.  I have no details at all of Harris's specific  circumstances,
pressures, plans, and goals.  I'm merely speculating.   So, please continue to
fill in any details you can about how the  semiconductor industry works, etc.
 .
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 216       Sun Dec 09, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:55 CST

 DENNIS MCCUNNEY writes:
 .
 >     Er, how large do you perceive the Forth community to be?  The
 > difficulty with semiconductor technology is the up-front cost:
 > designing, debugging, and tooling up for production.  Actually
 > *making* one more isn't that expensive on an incremental cost basis,
 > but adding in the amortisation of the up-front cost changes the
 > numbers *very* quickly.  It worked for the 6502 because millions of
 > them wound up in low-end Apple, Atari, and Commodore machines.  I
 > can't really see that happening with the Harris chip.
 .
 .
    Er, I think we have a misunderstanding.  I was not saying that the  Forth
community would PURCHASE the chips in such volume to cause the  RTX to
succeed.  I meant that it would write the tools, compilers,  whatever - as it
has already done (and stand ready to write the  applications).
 .
    Your next point is the same as mine, but with perhaps a different
interpretation:  they have already SPENT the money for those up-front  costs.
 .
    I believe you have it exactly backwards.  The 6502 was used in the  Apple,
Atari, Commodore machines BECAUSE it was cheap.  Aggressive  pricing greatly
undercut the competition, forcing even people who  didn't like the chip to use
it.  And, I might add, it was used in at  least some of machines because poor
grass-roots hardware hackers could  afford the chip, used it, and were
therefore familiar with it.
 .
    I'm saying that is my OPINION (which I may not be qualified to  possess)
that Harris HAD (and may still have with very aggressive  action and pricing)
a similar opportunity to price the RTX so people  would HAVE to use it whether
they liked it or not.  THIS pricing could  have opened doors their sales force
could never open merely on the  processor's technical merits.
 .
    I rank the factors in this order:
      PRICE
      SECOND SOURCING &/OR CONFIDENCE IN CONTINUED DELIVERY
      PRICE
      PRICE
      TECHNICAL SUPPORT TOOLS
      PRICE
      YOUR ENGINEERING STAFF'S PREFERENCES
 .
   Obviously there is a LOT of room for disagreement with my scale.
 .
   I'll look forward to further news and opinions about the RTX.
 .
  -- Frank
-----

mef@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Fraeman) (12/11/90)

In article <2078.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us> ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
>Category 6,  Topic 15
>Message 215       Sun Dec 09, 1990
>F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 14:55 CST
>
> PK> The sad fact is that Harris can't sell an RTX for $15
> .
> Phil, I don't know what you mean when you say that.  Do you mean that  they
>can't do so and make a profit?  Or, do mean no one would be  willing to
>purchase it at that price?
> .
I don't mean to speak for Phil but you might consider some simple
economic facts of life here.  A CMOS mask set probably costs 20K$-30K$
depending on the number of layers needed.  A dedicated run of a dozen
or so 4" wafers for a 2u CMOS process probably costs 25K$ although you
might be able to do it for a bit less if can keep volume up.  The nice
84 pin PGA ceramic packages might cost as little as $20 each if you by
them in >10K lots (ie order 200K$ worth of packages at a time).  In
small quantities I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they cost up to
$80!

A 4" wafer probably can hold 40-50 die the size of the RTX.  Lets say
you get 50% yield (pretty good for a die this size) then a wafer run
will get you 250 good chips for your 25K$ or $100 for silicon alone.
Note I didn't add any costs to probe the die on your tester.  Also note
how sensitive the cost/die is to yield and also note I have absolutely
no idea what the real yield is.  For obvious reasons, the foundries
guard their yield numbers more then the family jewels since you can
infer the financial health of company if you know it.

Contact printing is commonly used in volume production so the mask set
only lasts for 20 wafer lots or so.  Therefore the mask costs you about
(25K$/((200 wafers) * (25 die/wafer))) or about $5/die.  If a
projection system is used instead then masks last much longer but the
equipment used is a lot more expensive.

So to summarize, the whole thing is about:
$100	silicon
$  5	masks
$ 20	package
----
$125	materials alone!

Now what about the labor to package the parts, distribute them to
customers, testing, and of course you should get at least some amount
of profit for your effort?

To me at least this kind of an argument shows several why the industry
is headed the way it is.  A 1u version of an RTX chip would be about
1/4 the area so 4 times as many die get built in each wafer lot.
pushing to greater density A 6" wafer has about twice as much area so
you'd get about 500 good chips per lot at not much greater lot cost
although your production equipment costs a lot more.  Finally plastic
packages are cheaper although not as efficient getting heat out so
maximum chip speed is lowered because the junctions are hotter.

	Marty Fraeman

	mef@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
	301-953-5000, x8360

	Room 13-s587
	Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory
	Johns Hopkins Road
	Laurel, Md. 20723

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (12/11/90)

> F.SERGEANT [Frank] writes:
>  PK> The sad fact is that Harris can't sell an RTX for $15
> ... I contend that at most only  the marginal costs should be
> considered now.  Consider the rest gone.   Now they can get into the uP market
> "for free."

Frank, I don't mean to vent all this at you personally, but I'm
worn down with discussions of the form "why can't Harris give
us a break and price the RTX cheaply for the Forth community --
we'll support it ourselves".  The response may be uncharacteristically
blunt (then again, maybe not ;->), but I hope to drive home the reality
of the situation.  Once again, I do not speak officially for Harris.

A) Harris doesn't care about the Forth community.  Individuals in
  the former RTX group did (mostly Tom Hand, Rick VanNorman and myself),
  but we're all gone now.  Harris Semiconductor (the corporation)
  cares only about making a profit, not about the success of Forth.
  And, they're in the middle of a nasty cash crunch, so they're not
  likely to cut anyone any slack at all.  Their current strategy
  is to "de-emphasize" digital (that's PR talk, you know what they
  really mean).  RTX is digital --> it has been de-emphasized.
  The RTX was given special treatment while Harris looked for
  external support funding (otherwise, I would have been unemployed
  in June instead of November).  It didn't happen; case closed.
  It can be argued that the RTX would still be alive
  today if it had immediately concentrated on C instead of the
  "lunatic fringe" Forth community (I have heard these actual words
  used to describe it within Harris).  Certainly that was the long
  range plan developed in the past year.  The total Forth market
  for RTX is too small to make it worth Harris' while to pursue,
  at *any* realistic price or profit margin.

B) Harris can't/won't sell the RTX cheaply (does it *really* matter
  which is the case? -- but I truly believe that "can't" is
  the actual situation).  They are geared up for high-margin
  medium-volume specialty chips (the 80C286 is an exception).  They have
  high overhead (don't forget, even without support they have to pay
  for production, storage, shipping, order entry system, local sales
  offices, distributor markup).  With 2 micron technology, it is just
  very hard to get the price down.  It is impossible with sales
  of less than 10,000-100,000 at a whack (large production runs allow
  improved yield as the fab process is tweaked for that product).

C) Harris can't afford to sell the RTX "without support".  They run the
  risk of getting a big customer for other products upset with poor
  support.  Putting the Harris nameplate on implies a particular level
  of support.  I suppose they could put a different "generic" nameplate
  on -- but why bother?  Harris has no vested interest in seeing Forth
  engines succeed in the general marketplace, and the $$$ aren't there
  to justify it.

D) One of the serious problems the RTX group faced was that Harris killed
  the pre-production 1 micron process lines we were planning to use.
  IMHO, they were already dead and we simply got the coroner's report.  At
  last check, there was no reasonable path for RTX within Harris (including
  RCA, GE, Intersil) to 1 micron except for military products.  Of
  course, things may have changed and my information may be inaccurate.
  But, I recall a lot of effort looking for external silicon vendors
  (think of what it implies when Harris asks someone else to make silicon!).

Don't expect any breaks from Harris -- they don't perceive that
they owe anything to the Forth community!

So, if the Forth community wants the chip, how can it get it?

1) Someone break a few piggy banks and place that order for 100,000
  pieces.  I bet you get a good price.  You might even get Harris
  to form a support group.
2) Someone buy a license for the RTX and produce it on a 1.0 micron
  fab (less up-front cash than method 1, and probably smarter too).
  Be ready to do complete marketing and support.  If you can't get
  orders for 50,000-100,000 parts, I bet you go bankrupt.  If the
  orders come in 1 or 10 at a time, I bet you also go bankrupt.
3) Buy chips from Silicon Composers or wherever (hey, how come they
  aren't selling at $15 either?)

In summary -- ENOUGH ALREADY!! Harris isn't going to wave a magic
wand and make things better!  They had excellent business reasons
(not technical ones) for what they did.  None of these reasons had
much to do directly with the RTX.  Get serious and take action, or
stop beating the dead horse!  If you want to get serious, the first step
is to pick up the phone and talk to Fred Hawkes at Harris
(407) 724-7823.  If you can't do that, you haven't earned
the right to complain, gripe, grumble, mutter, protest, whine, wheedle,
or demand better treatment.  If you expect Harris to take any
further action on its own, you are sadly mistaken.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Arpanet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.
  Wexford, PA  15090
*** this space for rent ***
I don't speak for Harris; I don't even work for them.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/17/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 223       Sat Dec 15, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 17:21 CST

 Thanks to Phil Koopman & Marty Fraeman for posting more details on the
realities of the semiconductor manufacturing business.
 Phil, I can understand that you have had "ENOUGH ALREADY!!" of  discussions
of the RTX and what Harris should or shouldn't have done or  now do.  However,
all sorts of topics on the Forth net are taken to  absurd extremes and I don't
particularly see why this should be any  different.  No one has to reply to a
topic he is no longer interested  in (although I do appreciate the details you
supplied).
 I want to make it clear that I was not asking that Harris lower the  price of
the RTX to $15 each in singles because they owed anything to  me or the Forth
community. No, no, no!  I was suggesting a strategy  that I thought might have
been in Harris's *own* interests.  I see from  your & Marty's comments that
there are a number of reasons why they  cannot/will not try out my suggestion
and why it might not have worked  if they had.  They possibly have made the
best choice.  Regardless, it  is *their* choice to make!  I have never
suggested otherwise.  I may be  wrong, but I want to be wrong for the right
reasons.  This very  strategy was successfully employed for the 6502, if what
I've heard is  correct.  Considering the advances in semiconductor
manufacturing  technology that presumably have taken place since the 6502 was
introduced, and having heard that the NOVIX chip, upon which the  RTX2001A was
based, had "around 4000 gates,"  I assumed that the  RTX2001A even with its
added on-board stacks should fall into the  relatively cheap to produce
microprocessor category.  As I've said from  the outset, I'm merely
speculating.
 Also, my hope was that such a low price would have attracted customers  from
all over who needed the speed (or who could trade off that speed  to eliminate
other hardware in the system).  I am not referring to  Forth enthusiasts, just
ordinary users of microprocessors.  "Making 'em  an offer they couldn't
refuse."  Anyway, I'm not asking that Harris do  this now.  I think it is too
late.  Maybe Harris never could have done  it.  You are speculating that my
idea would not (have) work(ed), but we  know for sure that the approach Harris
took also did not work.  It  doesn't seem unreasonable to me to suggest
alternatives.
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/17/90)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 224       Sat Dec 15, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 17:21 CST

 Clyde Phillips writes
 CP> I'd also welcome any discussion of creating "generic" FORTH
 CP> engines using FPGA's that WOULD BE affordable
  Yes, this sound very interesting to me.  I considered it and would  still
like to design my own "for fun."  Every time I've looked it over  and priced
the Xilinx chips or whatever, it has seemed that it would  still be cheaper to
buy a NOVIX or RTX or SC32, especially if I  considered the design time.  Do
you know any current prices (in  singles) for any PLDs within the range of
"4000 gates" or more?  It  would seem they should get cheap because of their
possible large  market, but they didn't seem cheap a year or so ago when I
last looked.
  Your idea of a generic or PD design answers my objection about the  design
costs, more or less.
  I even liked the idea of Phil Koopman's 16 bit WISC based on 74xxXX  chips
(and 74xx181 ALUs).  I'm tired, though, of wire-wrapping, and  probably won't
do much more unless I get well paid for it.  That was  one of the appealing
aspects of the large programmable logic chips. I  could do much the same
thing, but "wire-wrap" them very quickly with a  PLD programmer.
  Marty suggests that we're unlikely to get the speed we'd like, and I
believe him.  It is a shame, because it is an idea that "ought to  work."  I'm
hoping to hear from you and others on how it could really  work.
  I think break-throughs often start out as just such an idea.  "You  know, it
OUGHT to be possible to do such & such."  "How?"  "I don't  know yet, it's
just a feeling so far."  Like the electric light bulb,  perhaps.
  Anyway, I have another one of these "there ought to be a way ..."s to  toss
out.  I don't really see how it can work yet, but it feels like  there ought
to be a way.  We've got all these mass-produced CHEAP  microprocessors, such
as the Z80, 6802, Z8, Super-8, even 68000s.  You  can probably find some of
these from time to time for under a dollar  each in singles!  There OUGHT to
be a way to combine them to make a  super powerful processor super cheap!  I'm
not necessarily talking  about mixing families.  Perhaps a board with 8 6802s
on it.  Maybe we'd  pay a little (a lot?) more to use one-time programmable
Z8s etc so we  don't have to wire up separate EPROMs, etc.  I think the
68HC11s are  overpriced at this time for combining as I've suggested.
  There are problems.  Do we connect them in parallel so each processor  works
on 8 bits of a wider data-item, say 4 across - giving 32 bits?   If so, we
have the terrible delay waiting for the carry between each  stage.  We might
as well let a single processor do its own multiple  precision math.  Or, would
we "pipe-line" it, so that even though the  32-bit operation takes 4 (or more
likely 8 or more) times as long (as  the others must read something external
to get the carry), as soon as  each processor finished its part of the 32-bit
op it would be free to  start the next one.  So, here, I don't really see
where we've gained  anything.
  Instead, perhaps the stacks and registers (for the Forth machine) are  NOT
kept inside the cheap micros, but accessed through external I/O.   Maybe this
offers a speed advantage somehow.  If we have to put  together very much
hardware, we are back to the situation where it is  cheaper to pay the price
for a commercial Forth engine.  Perhaps the  separate micros could specialize
somehow, rather than working in  parallel on different parts of the large
word.  All of this leads us  into the maze of complexity of parallel
processing.
  At this stage it is just a dream.
 CP> The Zilog thing is does anyone have FORTH's for the Super Z-8
  Yeah, I have a Forth running on a Super 8 that I've bread boarded.   Other
than some glue chips it consists of the Super8 chip, a 32K static  RAM chip,
and an 8K EPROM into which I put a version of Pygmy Forth.  I  use my PC XT as
a terminal and disk server for it, over a serial line.   I haven't touched it
in probably a year.  As soon as I get caught up  (ha ha) I'm going to do some
more work with it.
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/11/91)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 228       Sun Feb 10, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 15:16 CST

 David McIntyre writes: .
 DM> After I sent in my entry to the RTX contest, I realized that I've
 DM> never heard anything about either the winners or what other people
 DM> tried to do.  How about if people who won the EB posted some of their
 DM> ideas, winning or not? .
  Yes, well, I originally expected Harris to make the announcements any  day,
so even after I was notified I kept fairly quiet.  Here's a list  of the
winners: .
   Frank Sergeant   - First Prize Winner  - Disk Drive Aligner
   Rob Chapman      - Best Hardware Entry - Simple Sampler
   James H. Vogeley - Best Software Entry - Eye Tracker
   Harry Winter     - Hardware Runner-Up  - Digital Pocket Oscilloscope
   Matthew Mercaldo - Software Runner-Up
                          - Real Time System Motor Controller .
  I attended the Embedded Systems Conference near San Francisco last  fall and
stood by the Harris booth demonstrating my disk drive aligner  to passers by.
All the above entries were on display, except for the  Eye Tracker.  I was
told it wouldn't display well at the conference  because of its need for a
darkened booth.  I had a good, but tiring,  time.  I met some very interesting
people, including (no, I don't dare  say, or I'll be sure to leave someone
out!).  The entries each had  their own PC connected to the RTX board so that
the programs could be  downloaded, except for Rob's.  His booted from battery-
backed RAM and  had no need of the extra PC.  Unfortunately, only the boards
and a  very brief summary sheet were displayed.  It would have been so much
nicer if the full write-ups, schematics, and diagrams had also been on
display. .
  Yes, I'd love to hear from other entrants, about their ideas, etc. .
  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

avbalen@ehviea.ine.philips.nl (A.G.M. van Balen) (02/12/91)

Could someone make the entries of the Harris contest available?
Especially the Eye tracker and pocket 'scope seem interesting!

Thanks!

Auke

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/13/91)

 Date: 02-08-91 (16:09)              Number: 1086 of 1110
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 1040
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH ENGINES / HARRIS        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 To: Dave McIntyre; RE RTX contest:
 Didn't win anythng in the 2nd round ( I barely sent in a valid entry)
 but my first round entry was:
 control for a pipe intersection cutting machine, to ritate a pipe, move
 an oxy-fuel or plasma torch axially, and rotate the torch angle to vary
 the bevel, keeping surface speed constant.  (thats rotate pipe above)
 Since then I havent yet worked out an uncoupled robust torch rotater;
 but I have used the New Micros 6811 board with a 2-axis interface I
 already designed for another application to control cuts with a constant
 bevel. Prototype works great.
 Intersections are 1. Saddle 2. Offset perpendicular 3. Oblique
 intersection 4. Mitre.
 In the entries for contest I didnt send any algorithms as i would
 consider them proprietary for now.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/12/91)

Category 6,  Topic 15
Message 234       Mon Mar 11, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 02:15 CST

 Look for details of my RTX contest entry starting in the next issue of  The
Computer Journal.  Look for the April issue of Embedded Systems  Programming
for an article about certain techniques I used.
 .
 I just returned from the sigForth convention in San Antonio.  The  editor of
the sigForth newsletter would like to publish some more  contest entries,
whether they won or not.  Contact Paul Frenger at P.O.  Box 820506, Houston,
TX 77282-0506 or on GEnie as P.FRENGER.
 .
 -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp