[comp.lang.forth] Potential Forth Books

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (03/15/91)

I have been contemplating co-authoring some practical application
FORTH books. I noticed Phil Koopman post:
-- Would you like to see similar books for other CPUs?

I say yes. But what do you think? Can anyone with a perceived
need post potential titles.

Examples I'm looking at include:

MIDI in FORTH ( for my SBC - self serving at it's best 8^) )
MIDI in FORTH on the IBM PC
Hobbyist ATE in FORTH
From Phil's input:
FORTH and the Zilog Super Z8

I'd like to see:
FORTH and the Intel I960
FORTH and the AT&T DSP16
FORTH and the AT&T DSP32
FORTH and the Motorola 56000

From current readings:
FORTH in the ECHELON Environment
FORTH and LAN's
FORTH and NALPS ( ie Prodigy, etc I think )

I could keep this up ad nauseum, so I'll assume you get my jist...

Thanks, Clyde
P.S. Feedback on these titles is also highly valued.

janh@hplsla.HP.COM (Jan Hofland) (03/15/91)

Regarding books I'd like to see, what about books along the lines of the now
out of print _Threaded Interpretive Languages_ ?  I'd like to see how to
build a Forth kernel for the 56000, and the 68xxx family, and any number of
the 8 bitters, both Motorola and Intel flavors.  The book would be a
practical hands-on approach to building the kernel so at the conclusion you
would have a working Forth language on the processor AND understand just how
the darned thing works.

Regards,

Jan Hofland

esj@harvee.UUCP (Eric S Johansson) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar14.194203.5168@cbnewse.att.com> cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com
(clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
> I have been contemplating co-authoring some practical application
> FORTH books. I noticed Phil Koopman post:
> -- Would you like to see similar books for other CPUs?
>
> I say yes. But what do you think? Can anyone with a perceived
> need post potential titles.
>
> Examples I'm looking at include:

[ titles deleted ]

> I could keep this up ad nauseum, so I'll assume you get my jist...

Titles I would like are:
Forth and BDS sockets
Forth and Xtk
Forth and Signals (BSD or Sys V)

Clyde, if you ever get building a series of Forth and XXXcpu books, ask
me about my multipass metacompiler I wrote a few years ago.  It has
some interesting attributes that make it easy to compile for a
remote environment.  almost a no-brainer as compared to current
meta compilers.

--- eric
^^^     eric johansson   UUCP ...!uunet!wang!harvee!esj esj@harvee.uucp
* *     a juggling fool  AT&T (617) 577-4068 (w)
 o                       HAM  ka1eec
\_/			 CSNET johansson%hydra@polaroid.com
			 or      hydra!johansson@polaroid.com
	source of the public's fear of the unknown since 1956