[net.movies] Alien II coming soon

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (10/02/85)

Does anyone know anything about the upcoming  ALIEN II, the sequel to
ALIEN, of course.  Does it star Siguorney Weaver?  Does her cat "Jones"
bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?  Who else
stars in the sequel?

Michael Bishop
hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) (10/07/85)

> ...  Does it star Siguorney Weaver?  Does her cat "Jones"
> bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?  Who else
> stars in the sequel?
>
> Michael Bishop
> hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

Where do you get the idea of this foreshadowing?
--
Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

flory@zaphod.UUCP (Trevor Flory) (10/07/85)

Who directed the original?  Will s/he direct Alien II?

--

*****
Trevor K. Flory

reiher@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/07/85)

In article <11900004@hpfclp.UUCP> mike@hpfcla.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the upcoming  ALIEN II, the sequel to
>ALIEN, of course.  Does it star Siguorney Weaver?  Does her cat "Jones"
>bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?  Who else
>stars in the sequel?

The sequel is to be called "Aliens".  It will be written and directed by
James Cameron ("The Terminator").  Sigorney Weaver is set to star, but I
don't know about the rest of the cast, or the cat.
--
        			Peter Reiher
				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

lo@harvard.ARPA (Bert S.F. Lo) (10/10/85)

> Who directed the original?

Ridley Scott of "Blade Runner" & "Legend" fame directed "Alien".

_________________________Bert S.F. Lo (lo@harvard.ARPA)_________________________

stirling@fortune.UUCP (Patrick Stirling) (10/10/85)

In article <361@zaphod.UUCP> flory@zaphod.UUCP (Trevor Flory) writes:
>Who directed the original?  Will s/he direct Alien II?

The original Alien was directed by Ridley Scott (who also did 'Blade Runner',
which I highly recommend). I didn't know that an Alien II was on the way,
so I can't help you there.

patrick
(Fortune Systems, Belmont CA)

steven@ism70.UUCP (10/11/85)

Now filming in London:

ALIENS

Starring Sigourney Weaver, James Remar (48 Hrs.), Paul Reiser
(Diner), Lance Henriksen (Terminator) and William Paxton (Weird
Science).

Directed by James Cameron (Terminator). Written by James Cameron.
Produced by Gale Anne Hurd.

Photographed by Dick Bush (Crimes of Passion, Natty Gann).
Production Designed by Peter Lamont (A View to a Kill).  Edited
by Ray Lovejoy (2001: A Space Odyssey).

From Twentieth Century Fox Pictures (1986).

May 1986 release. Multiple aliens. Sigourney goes on trial to
determine what happened to the original crew of the Nostromo.

06511039@sdcc13.UUCP (06511039) (10/12/85)

Ridley Scott has also made "The Duellists" and two absolutely delightful
TV commercials for Chanel No. 5.
As far as I know "Legend", made few years ago, is still waiting for
the release.

mike@hpfcla.UUCP (10/15/85)

> > Does her cat "Jones"
> > bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?
>
> Where do you get the idea of this foreshadowing?
> --
> Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

I have seen ALIEN several times and I know there is a scene near the end
where "Jones" is put into a cage, Ripley is tearing down a corridor with
the cat and cage  trying to get to the  shuttle  when she runs  into the
Alien.  At this  point  she  drops  the  cage  and she  runs  off in the
opposite direction.  We see the cat in the cage looking up at the Alien;
and see the  Alien  curiously  studying  the  cat.  Whether  the cat was
impregnated,  I don't know.  I don't know why the  director  would spend
time on this scene if it wasn't somehow  connected and  important.  Then
again,   I'm  sure   that   there's   a  good   chance   that  I'm  just
over-speculating.  At any rate, I hope we don't  have  flamethrowers  in
spaceships this time.

Michael Bishop
hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b

showard@udenva.UUCP (showard) (10/15/85)

> Who directed the original?  Will s/he direct Alien II?
>
> --
>
> *****
> Trevor K. Flory
> Develcon Electronics Ltd., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA
> UUCP: ...!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!flory
  Ridley Scott, who also directed Blade Runner, directed the original Alien.
The last I heard, Scott was still working on his fantasy film (with Tom Cruise?)called Legend.
  I also heard that in an unrelated incident, Scott had set fire to/burned down
a studio in England.  Anyone have more info on this?

   --Mr. Blore, the DJ who would not die
   --aka Steve Howard, ...udenva!showard
     "The human brain is like an enormous fish.  It is flat and slimy and
has gills through which it can see."

dta@cpsc53.UUCP (Doug Anderson) (10/16/85)

> In article <11900004@hpfclp.UUCP> mike@hpfcla.UUCP writes:

> The sequel is to be called "Aliens".  It will be written and directed by
> James Cameron ("The Terminator").  Sigorney Weaver is set to star, but I
> don't know about the rest of the cast, or the cat.
> --
>         			Peter Reiher
> 				reiher@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>         			{...ihnp4,ucbvax,sdcrdcf}!ucla-cs!reiher

God! Speeaking of BAD MOVIES!!!! Why would anyone want to go
to a sequel of this dog after they have seen the first one??

I'm a SF/Horror fan and this movie failed on both. the stupid
characters made the movie almost a comedy rather then a Horror
film.

My favorite part was the gas comming out of the midevel space
suits.  Sounds like fun in zero gee :-).

	Doug Anderson

shiva@duts.UUCP (10/17/85)

> > ...  Does it star Siguorney Weaver?  Does her cat "Jones"
> > bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?  Who else
> > stars in the sequel?
> >
> > Michael Bishop
> > hplabs!hpfcla!mike-b
>
> Where do you get the idea of this foreshadowing?
> --
> Roger Noe			ihnp4!riccb!rjnoe

Yes, Alien II is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, Siguorney Weaver is in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It takes place 50 years after Alien when she wakes up from cryogenic
sleep to go back to The Planet (incidentally anybody know the name of
The Planet?).
Release is next summer I think.

and yeah, what do you mean foreshadowing, how???

                               Shiva, Amdahl

shiva@duts.UUCP (10/17/85)

> Who directed the original?  Will s/he direct Alien II?
>
> --
>
> *****
> Trevor K. Flory
> Develcon Electronics Ltd., Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA
> UUCP: ...!ihnp4!alberta!sask!zaphod!flory

The original was directed by Riddley Scott (he of Blade Runner fame).
Alien II will be directed by the same guy who did The Terminator.

                                Shiva, Amdahl

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (10/20/85)

>I'm a SF/Horror fan and this movie failed on both. the stupid
>characters made the movie almost a comedy rather then a Horror
>film.
>
>My favorite part was the gas comming out of the midevel space
>suits.  Sounds like fun in zero gee :-).

Get a clue, Doug. If you were on a planet with GRAVITY and a METHANE
atmosphere, the exhaust (what you exhale) from your space suit would
probably mist too (considering the temperature of frozen methane).
The science in this movie is actually very well done.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

"I'm looking for the joke with a microscope."
-Iggy Pop

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/21/85)

In article <554@riccb.UUCP> rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe) writes:
>> ...  Does it star Siguorney Weaver?  Does her cat "Jones"
>> bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?  Who else
>> stars in the sequel?
>>
>> Michael Bishop
>
>Where do you get the idea of this foreshadowing?

I think it was foreshadowed as well. At the end of ALIEN, the only ones left
from the mission were Siguorney and the cat. The last scene shows Siguorney
laying in the hibernation unit craddleing the cat, and though Siguorney is
asleep, the cat is awake. You would think that the cat, being smaller and
having a higher metabolism rate, would have been put under faster by whatever
it is that puts the hibernee into hibernation. Or maybe it wasn't just a cat.

					 Barth Richards
					 Tellabs, Inc.
					 Lisle, IL

dta@cpsc53.UUCP (Doug Anderson) (10/23/85)

> >My favorite part was the gas comming out of the midevel space
> >suits.  Sounds like fun in zero gee :-).
>
> Get a clue, Doug. If you were on a planet with GRAVITY and a METHANE
> atmosphere, the exhaust (what you exhale) from your space suit would
> probably mist too (considering the temperature of frozen methane).
> The science in this movie is actually very well done.
>

> --
> Charles Forsythe
> CSDF@MIT-VAX

	Space Suits are fully contained. THEY DONT EXHAUST
	GASSES!  Besides, thats not the only weak point of the
	movie.  You have an alien runnung around in a space
	ship. Simple solution:

		1) EVERYONE gets into spacesuits ALONE

		2) open ship to vacum (they finally did this
		at the end of the movie)

		3) wait 8 or more hours

		4) get you trusty dusty flame thrower and fry
		the body of the beasty.

	Additionally, I seem to recall a scene of a corridor of
	the ship with slime flowing down the walls. They must
	not have maids.

	This film attempted to be a Science Fiction film and
	failed badly.  It had the potential of being a classic
	and all the tools were there the characters just
	refused to use them.

	One more and I'll get off my soapbox.  Remember the
	scene when the Captain died?  They had the monster
	located on a grid telling the direction and distance
	from the Captain.  Do they tell him though? NOOOO. he
	could kill it then. make the movie real short.

	My favorite part of the movie was the fun the group I
	went with had laughing about all the stupid mistakes
	the crew made.  For G-d's sake when a monster is on
	someones face and you KNOW that is has some kind of
	appendage in side them, where is the first place you
	look when it disappears?  not in the ship. In the
	person.

	Sorry I got carried away, give me a good ACCURATE SF
	movie anyday. Yeah, I know those are few and far
	between.

		Doug Anderson

shiva@duts.UUCP (10/23/85)

    [ does the cat]
> >> bring the Alien(s) to earth as foreshadowed in the original?e
> >> Michael Bishop

> >Where do you get the idea of this foreshadowing?

[ The cat and Siguorney are in the hibernation unit, she sleeps, cat
doesn't ]

> You would think that the cat, being smaller and
> having a higher metabolism rate, would have been put under faster by whatever
> it is that puts the hibernee into hibernation. Or maybe it wasn't just a cat.
> 					 Barth Richards

That is an unwarrented assumption. In fact the opposite would seem to
be true. A higher metabolism rate would take *longer* to be put to
sleep (more drugs for a longer time required?) But in any event this is
sheer speculation. Remember, The Alien flew off into space. There
was no thought of a sequal at the time Alien was made (at least I never
heard any such rumors) so foreshadowing seems to be a far out idea.

--

                                          Shiva, Amdahl

craig@think.ARPA (Craig Stanfill) (10/30/85)

There is a common notion that, in Alien, it was foreshadowed
that the cat was going to bring the Alien back to earth.  As
it happens, several years ago (at Unicon 5 in Washington,
DC) I talked with Linda Shusette, wife of the producer of
Alien (Ron Shussette), and the topic of the cat came up.
She said that the cat was intended as a sympathetic
character, that they hoped the audience would identify with
the cat and want the cat to live.  As it worked out, the
audience does not identify with the cat, but irrationally
fears it and wants the crew to space it.  The result is that
the cat became a sort of red-herring, serving only as yet
one more thing for the audience to be afraid of.

As to what the purported makers of Alien II might do, your
guess is as good as mine.  They might well have the cat
transport the alien back to earth, but this was never
intended in the original movie.