[comp.lang.forth] Finding a Forth for the 8051/8031

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/15/90)

 Date: 09-13-90 (15:08)              Number: 3771 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: BARTON MEEKS                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH FOR 8031/8051           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I am interested in getting Forth running on an 8031.  Preferably this
 would be a public domain sort of thing with source, but any info would
 help greatly.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/15/90)

 Date: 09-12-90 (08:44)              Number: 726 (Echo)
   To: DONALD BENSCH                 Refer#: 719
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH & SBC                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        There's a new book advertised in the latest FORTH Dimensions
 magazine about putting Forth on the 8031 from scratch. I believe it's by
 the author of BRYTE Forth, a commercial Forth for the 8031 that appears
 to have stopped being vended; at least it doesn't seem to be advertised
 anymore.

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (09/17/90)

In article <1741.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us>, ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:

>  From: BARTON MEEKS                    Read: (N/A)
>  Subj: FORTH FOR 8031/8051           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
>
>  I am interested in getting Forth running on an 8031.  Preferably this
>  would be a public domain sort of thing with source, but any info would
>  help greatly.

I just saw abook on programming 8031/8051 in FORTH.
Seems like in the latest FORTH Dimensions. Was I dreaming?

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/06/90)

 Date: 10-04-90 (20:44)              Number: 3951
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
 From: LANCE COLLINS                   Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 FORTH                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Yesterday I received a copy of 'Embedded Controller Forth' by William
 Payne (Acedemic Press).  I have only glanced at it so far as there are
 527 pages of fairly fine print.  Two thirds of the book are source
 code appendices.  So there is now a VERY comprehensive public domain
 8051 Forth.

 The book says on page xiv
 "Disk copies of all the software included in this book and additional
 FORTH documentation are available from participating 8051 family
 hardware vendors."

 Can anyone out there convert this statement into a specific procedure
 for obtaining the source on disk?

 Lance
 ---
  * Via ProDoor 3.0

 NET/Mail : Australian Connection Forth Board (Melbourne) 61 3 8091787
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/21/90)

 Date: 10-07-90 (13:43)              Number: 4016
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: NONE
 From: WILLIAM GILES                   Read: 10-08-90 (09:08)
 Subj: COMMENT                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I just got a copy of a new book called "Embedded Controller FORTH for
 the 8051 Family" by William H. Payne of Sandia National Laboratories,
 ISBN 0-12-547570-5, published by Academic Press. This book is about two
 thirds listings of the source code, which is declared to be in the
 public domain. The book contains a FORTH for the PC, a Metacompiler, an
 operating system for an 8051 target system and a terminal emulator to
 talk to the target system. It appears to be a system that was developed
 over a period of several years and is quite complex. There is very
 little in the way of the system and the reader is expected to get this
 information from the listings.

 The author says that source code and FORTH Encyclopedias for this system
 are available on disk from "participating hardware vendors", but does
 not give any names. It is also supposed to be posted on some bulletin
 boards, but, again, no names re given. Are you aware of this book or any
 one who has the disks or files available? When I realized the amountof
 time nedded to retype the listings would take, I thought that I would
 try find the files first.

 Any help that you might give would be appreciated.

 Bill

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/19/90)

 Date: 11-16-90 (23:50)              Number: 225 of 227 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: 8051 FORTH FOR LANCE          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

  Who has the executables & source for the Forth that the guy who wrote
 Bryte Forth and wrote that book about 8031/51 Forths said would be
 around? Is it up on GEnie yet? Lance in Oz is looking for it.
  =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/26/90)

 Date: 11-19-90 (10:18)              Number: 254 of 269 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 225
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 FORTH FOR LANCE          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

   >who has the executables and source for the Forth that the guy who
   >wrote BRYTE Forth and wrote that book about 8031/51 Forths said
   >would be around

 These are not the same guy, I don't think.  Christopher Johnson of BRYTE
 wrote the really nice 8031/51 Forth, while Bill Payne of Sandia Labs
 wrote the book that included the 8031/51 Forth.  Perhaps the two Forths
 are related indirectly but I don't think Johnson and Payne worked
 together on the book.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (11/27/90)

> These are not the same guy, I don't think.  Christopher Johnson of BRYTE
> wrote the really nice 8031/51 Forth, while Bill Payne of Sandia Labs
> wrote the book that included the 8031/51 Forth.  Perhaps the two Forths
> are related indirectly but I don't think Johnson and Payne worked
> together on the book.

  From where is the Forth mentioned in the Payne book available? The book
said "a major silicon vendor". Could anyone be more specific?

-- Dave Ritchie
ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/27/90)

 Date: 11-23-90 (22:15)              Number: 276 of 281 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: 254
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 FORTH FOR LANCE          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 -> >who has the executables and source for the Forth that the guy who
 -> >wrote BRYTE Forth and wrote that book about 8031/51 Forths said
 -> >would be around
 -> These are not the same guy, I don't think.  Christopher Johnson of
 -> BRYTE wrote the really nice 8031/51 Forth, while Bill Payne of Sandia
 -> Labs wrote the book that included the 8031/51 Forth.  Perhaps the two
 -> Forths are related indirectly but I don't think Johnson and Payne
 -> worked together on the book.

         Aha ... now I don't know *anything* ! So who has the Forth?
 Where's the beef? Who fired first on Ft. Sumter?

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

 Date: 12-07-90 (22:28)              Number: 417 of 417 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: TOM SCHOTLAND                   Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH FOR 8051                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 Does anyone know where I can obtain Forth for the 8051 series of
 microcontrollers ?  I would like to be able to develop code
 interactively, but make it ROMable after development is complete, so
 that the final code requires only the internal RAM on the 8051/2 to run.
 Forth, Inc. has a system like this, but it's way out of my price range
 (it's called ChipForth, and it costs $3200).  Help!

 -- Tom Schotland

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/10/90)

Category 3,  Topic 38
Message 20        Sun Dec 09, 1990
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 11:20 EST

For everything you ask, you might consider MPE-Forth by MicroProcessor
Engineering Ltd.  "Umbilical Forth" for the 8051 is about $1500 U.S.,
depending on the current exchange rate.  You'll also need an EPROM emulator;
the one they support is around $850 U.S., or you can write your own drivers
for another.  MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd., 133 Hill Lane, Shirley,
Southampton, U.K., SO1 5AF, telephone 011-44-703-631-441.  U.S. dealer is
Boris Nashanchik, Amics Enterprises, 2604 Elmwood Ave., Suite 108, Rochester
NY 14618, (716) 461-9187.

I believe LMI supports the 8051 target, but not interactively.

If you're really strapped, your final resort is to buy William Payne's
"Embedded Controller Forth" from Academic Press, $60 or so, which includes
listings for an 8051 Forth and a metacompiler. You'll have to type them in; no
one has found them in machine readable form yet.  Not interactive, and I don't
know if it will run using only the internal RAM.

To my knowledge, there are no public domain (FIG, 79, 83, eForth, etc.) 8051
Forths yet.  If you'd like to write one, I'd be happy to send you source and
documentation -- such as it is -- for the interactive metacompiler I presented
at last year's Rochester conf.
 It needs a bit of work.

- Brad
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/13/90)

 Date: 12-10-90 (19:02)              Number: 482 of 483 (Echo)
   To: B.RODRIGUEZ2 [BRAD]           Refer#: 436
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FINDING A FORTH FOR THE 8     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

   >I believe LMI supports the 8051 target, but not interactively

 No, we support the compilation of a full interactive 8051/31 kernel.
 The kernel can use the PC as a disk server, but it isn't obligated to.
 We also supply source code for a ROMable assembler so you can write and
 test CODE definitions interactively on the 8051/31.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/13/90)

Category 3,  Topic 38
Message 22        Wed Dec 12, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 21:15 EST

I just got a book in that might be interesting to those of you working on 8051
systems.  It is:

        Embedded Controller FORTH
          For the 8051 Family
        William H. Payne
        1990 Academic Press, Inc.
        ISBN 0-12-547570-5

It has an interesting table of contents (which I won't type in) and includes a
complete nucleus for the 8051 and a PC version of Forth that you can type in
from the hex listing (oh boy :-).  The author has placed all of the code (it
appears) in the public domain and much of it looks likes it originates from
F83.  They also do include source for the Nautilus Cross Compilers for those
who have that system.

Has anyone read this book?  Is it worth while?  Does the code work? Is the
code available in electronic format?

I obviously haven't read it yet, but I thought I'd get the ball rolling before
I go looking for another round toit.

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/31/90)

 Date: 12-28-90 (23:49)              Number: 704 of 705 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: BOB SCHEMMEL                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: 8051 & FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 The company I work for uses 8051's (87C51,87c52) for controlling
 robotic theater lighting equipment. We currently use assembly language
 and Basic. I am interested in experimenting with forth that can target
 this processor. I understand there is an embedded forth version of this
 IC and I think the book "Embedded Forth for Control" by some people at
 Sandia Labs deals with just such a chip however the people who have
 purchased it seem put off by the technical detail and extensive source
 code listings. I am curious if anyone has actually tried an embedded
 forth 8051 or barring that, has anyone used forth to target that chip
 with a metacompiler and/or native code compiler. I have LMI's PC/FORTH
 3.2 and have not really learned it enough yet to use it at work but
 that is my objective, hence I would be curious if anyone has used LMI's
 8051 metacompiler/code optimizer or such to improve the performance of
 there 8051 equipment. I would be especially curious about anyone who
 WAS using assembly language and or Basic and then tried forth for the
 8051, since I would like to interest the engineering dept. here in the
 difference between these two software approaches. Anything in the way
 of first hand accounts of people who switched to forth for the 8051
 would certainly carry alot of weight to interest the people here who
 are receptive but would like to see evidence of the difference. I
 don't need any convincing myself, I am merely looking for something
 to show the people at work. I would appreciate anyone's input. Bob

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) (01/01/91)

If anyone gets information on this, posting of it would be appreciated.
I'm supposed to eventually work on a project for a friend implementing
a planetary clock in a small hardware device.  I have been considering
using the 8051 for such, since (as I understand it) it is quite flexible,
and I would probably only need an LCD controller, LCD, and supporting
hardware to develop what I want to do.

I'm a forth novice, but a native forth version of this chip would help
me both get a better grasp of the language and simplify my development
phase for the project.

My internet address is in the sig, if you are capable of email....
--
-----
Pete Hartman		pwh@bradley.bradley.edu			Haazavaa?

jax@well.sf.ca.us (Jack J. Woehr) (01/02/91)

pwh@bradley.bradley.edu (Pete Hartman) writes:

	... <stuff> ...
>using the 8051 for such, since (as I understand it) it is quite flexible,
	... <stuff> ...
>I'm a forth novice, but a native forth version of this chip would help

In reply, I repost:

        In the years that I have been discussing Forth on USENET, one
        of the most frequently-asked questions I have received is:

                "Where is a PD Forth for the 8051?"

        Dr. C.H. Ting's October 1990 newsletter for his "Offete
        Enterprises" samizdat house (garage, actually) contains
        the following two items:

        2104. eForth Model and 8086 Implementation, Bill Muench and
        C.H. Ting -- $25.00

        "A small ROM based Forth system ... Source code is in MASM (!! -jax)
        ... IBM 5.25 disk ... With 8051 eForth Implementation Note."

        The address & phone is:

                Offete Enterprises, Inc.
                1306 South "B" Street
                San Mateo, CA 94402
                (415) 574-8250

	Alternatively, EFORTH51.ZIP may be downloaded free of charge
from the RealTime Control and Forth Board (RCFB), ( telephone number
in the .signature below), or from the GEnie Forth Interest Group
RoundTable (page 711).
--
 <jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us} ><  Member, >        /// ///\\\    \\\  ///
 <well!jax@lll-winken.arpa >< X3J14 TC >       /// ///  \\\    \\\///

dcp@world.std.com (David C. Petty) (01/07/91)

In article <2184.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us>,
BOB SCHEMMEL writes:

`` ... I understand there is an embedded forth version of this
`` IC and I think the book "Embedded Forth for Control" by some people at
`` Sandia Labs deals with just such a chip however the people who have
`` purchased it seem put off by the technical detail and extensive source
`` code listings.

The book is _Embedded Controller Forth for the 8051_ by William I. Payne
of Sandia National Laboratories.  It describes a FIG-Forth system for
the 8051 complete with a version of the Nautilus Systems Cross-compiler.
I cannot vouch for the overwhelming nature of the technical detail, but
it is complete.  Cross-compilers are daunting at first look, but unless
you have an 8051 system with an interactive Forth with which you can
incrementally develop your application and a RAM configuration that
allows it, you have little choice but to cross-compile it.  (I _think_
the source code is available on disc from Academic Press, or from Bill
Payne.)

Good luck!
--
 David C. Petty | dcp@world.std.com | ...!{uunet,bu.edu}!world!dcp /\
      POBox Two | CIS: 73607,1646   | BIX, Delphi, MCIMail: dcp   /  \

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/10/91)

 Date: 01-07-91 (07:43)              Number: 800 of 802
   To: BOB SCHEMMEL                  Refer#: 704
 From: DAVE TROPEANO                   Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 & FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL

 I have used the LMI metatcompiler with the 8051 with no problems.
 Obviously, changes have to be made to the Forth source to match the
 target hardware, but after that it's a breeze. One negagtive comment:
 The internals of the 8051 forth implementation are not documented as
 well as they could be, so you might find yourself talking to Ray Duncan
 and his staff if you need help. But, the tech support is good (although
 available only via fax and bbs), and you shouldn't run into too many
 problems. Good Luck!

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/14/91)

 Date: 01-12-91 (15:54)              Number: 863 of 864 (Echo)
   To: JAX                           Refer#: NONE
 From: TOM SCHOTLAND                   Read: HAS REPLIES
 Subj: 8051 FORTH                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 Hi!  There have been a number of messages on this board, including some
 from me, about obtaining public domain 8051 Forth systems.  A number of
 them mention a book by William Payne called "Embedded Controller Forth
 for the 8051 Family."  Many praise the book; all complain that the code
 is not available.  I have obtained it directly from Bill Payne, who has
 told me to feel free to upload to bulletin boards for general
 consumption.  The trouble is, it's HUGE!  I cannot afford to upload four
 disks worth of code.  I would like to know if you want this on your
 board, and if so, can I submit it by mailing you copies of the disks ?
 Please leave me a mailing address if you want it.  --Tom

 Date: 01-12-91 (17:57)              Number: 864 of 864 (Echo)
   To: TOM SCHOTLAND                 Refer#: 2549
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 FORTH                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

         Tom --

         Would be only too glad to have it!

         Mail to:

                 RealTime Control & Forth Board
                 7100 W. 44th Ave.
                 Suite #101
                 Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

         Your disks and postage will be returned to you.

         Thanx for the offer!

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/25/91)

 Date: 01-22-91 (19:26)              Number: 966 of 966 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: W.H. PAYNE EMB CONT 4TH       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

         The files from W. H. Payne's _Embedded Controller Forth for the
 8051_ are now available for download from the RCFB.

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

avbalen@ehviea.ine.philips.nl (A.G.M. van Balen) (01/30/91)

Can someone put this FORTH on SIMTEL20 or similar server ?

Auke

dwpst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Douglas W Philips) (01/30/91)

In article <912@ehviea.ine.philips.nl> avbalen@ehviea.UUCP (A.G.M. van Balen) writes:
>Can someone put this FORTH on SIMTEL20 or similar server ?
>
>Auke

Since I have gotten many questions about this I thought I'd just post
for all to see at once.  SIMTEL20 is dedicated primarily to storing
files and programs for MSDOS machines (i.e. PC's).  Storing files for
other architectures is not within their charter.

If you have been reading this group for very long you know that I
(dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp) provide email access to
whatever files people choose to post about (the majority come from the
FIG library located in the FORTH RTC on GEnie).  This is not an ideal
solution since it consumes more net resources than anonymous FTP does.
If anyone knows of a site willing to donate about 30-40 Meg for the
storage of Forth files (the approximate current size of the FIG
library), I would be very interested to hear of it.  I would certainly
be willing to handle the day-to-day business of storing the files and
keeping them up to date, etc.  (This is not to say that the email service
would be discontinued.  It is the only means that some people have to
get these files.)

-Doug

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/19/91)

Category 3,  Topic 38
Message 41        Tue Feb 19, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 00:59 EST

Re:  dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us (Doug Philips)

Doug, did you catch the newest additions?

[I did.  Due to the vagaries of network delays, I managed to check
 GEnie just before those files were put into the library, but you didn't
 see my message until afterwards.  -Doug]

[I'll leave them here, and repeat my email offer at the end, in case some
 one missed this list before.  -dwp]

  No. File Name      Type Address       YYMMDD    Bytes
 2362 READ51.TXT      X   JAX           910216     7560
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #1
 2361 FORTH86.ZIP     X   JAX           910215   272160
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #2
 2360 F86DOCS.ZIP     X   JAX           910215   279720
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #3
 2359 MISC51.ZIP      X   JAX           910215    95760
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #4
 2358 FORTH51.ZIP     X   JAX           910215   163800
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #5
 2357 F51DOCS.ZIP     X   JAX           910213   296100
    KEEP  Desc: Payne's Embedded Controller Forth #6

Re: John.Passaniti@f201.n260.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Passaniti)

 >      Ideally, this system would let me develop code on our
 > IBM-pc's, cross-compile to the 8051, and then execute it
 > there.

I believe that is the case with the code above.

 >      Additionally, I would also appreciate any information
 > people may have on Z-80 Forth interpreters.

If you know about the public domain versions, then I can't tell you much more.
However, I believe both LMI and FORTH, Inc. have some support for this chip.
Ray Duncan of LMI reads these messages and maybe he can tell you more about
his product.  I work for FORTH, Inc. and I will pass on you number to our
marketing people.  They should be contacting you soon.

DaR

[ If anyone would like a copy of one/more/all of these files, please
  drop me a note at one of the addresses at the end of this message.
  All binary files are UUencoded.  Files are then split (if necessary)
  into mailer-acceptable sized pieces and then mailed to you.
  In order for me to answer your request, you must:
      Include the line containing the file name. (so I know what you want.)
      Include your email address in the body of the message.  You must
	  include an address *relative to* the InterNet or well known
	  UseNet site.
  -dwp]
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/04/91)

Category 3,  Topic 38
Message 42        Sat Mar 02, 1991
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 22:23 EST

To John Passaniti:

> ...I would also appreciate any information people may have on Z-80
 > Forth interpreters....I need something that's supported.

Ah, it's *support* you want, is it?  Try

MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd
 133 Hill Lane - Shirley
 Southampton SO1 5AF  U.K.
 telephone 703-631-441

They support both the 8051 and the Z80 (in addition to several other CPUs).
I've been using their tools for a few months now and am quite pleased with
them.  Their dealer in the U.S. is

Boris Nashanchik
 Amics Enterprises Inc.
 2604 Elmwood Ave.
 Suite 108
 Rochester, NY  14618
 telephone (716) 461-9187

Expect to pay about US$1700 for a cross-development system.  (You did say you
wanted support.)

- Brad

-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/91)

 Date: 05-01-91 (09:01)              Number: 2061 of 2065 (Echo)
   To: TOM SCHOTLAND                 Refer#: 2031
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: 8051 FORTH                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 -> Has anyone been uploading the code to Bill Payne's 8051 Forth?  I
 -> check for messages about it whenever I log on, and never find any.

         Has anyone been accessing Bill Payne's embedded controller
 forth? You bet they have. Like, between that and FPC Forth it's
 about half my traffic! Wish some o' these cats would upload some
 stuff they are doing and post a few messages :-)