[comp.lang.forth] Forth and the Mac

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/18/90)

Category 1,  Topic 47
Message 31        Mon Dec 17, 1990
W.FEDERICI                   at 19:12 PST

There is a 16-bit public-domain Forth for the Mac known as Pocket Forth.  It
is available with full set of source files (assembly language) and
considerable documentation from the Creative Solutions forum on CompuServe.  I
have explored it VERY briefly, and it looks to be well done, with good access
to the Mac facilities.  I don't believe it makes any use of the 30's special
features, though.
  - Wilson

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/19/90)

Category 1,  Topic 47
Message 32        Tue Dec 18, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 01:25 EST

We also have Pocket Forth available here on GEnie and on most of the Forth
BBS'.  Is there a more current version that what we have?

  No. File Name      Type Address       YYMMDD    Bytes Accesses Lib
 1712 BEZIERKIT.SIT   X   C.HEILMAN     890603    27720     26     4
    KEEP  Desc: Bezier Curves for PocketForth
 1711 POCKETDOC.SIT   X   C.HEILMAN     890603    60480     52     4
    KEEP  Desc: Manual for PocketForth Vers. 4
 1710 POCKET4.SIT     X   C.HEILMAN     890603    63000     59     4
    KEEP  Desc: PocketForth Ver.4 for Macintosh
 1581 PF3SRC.SIT      X   C.HEILMAN     890219    55440     34     4
    KEEP  Desc: Source for Pocket Forth - rel.3
 1580 POCKET3.SIT     X   C.HEILMAN     890219   105840     51     4
    KEEP  Desc: Pocket Forth and DA - release 3

DaR

[ If anyone would like a copy of one/more/all of these files, please
  drop me a note at one of the addresses at the end of this message.
  All binary files are UUencoded.  Files are then split (if necessary)
  into mailer-acceptable sized pieces and then mailed to you.
  In order for me to answer your request, you must:
      Include the two line description so I know what you want sent.
      Include your InterNet/UseNet address in the body of the message.
  -dwp]
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/24/91)

Category 1,  Topic 47
Message 35        Mon Jan 21, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:17 EST

Re: wbd2@quads.uchicago.edu (William B. Douglas)

 > Am I right in guessing that MACH2 is no longer supported on the
 > Mac by PASC?

Please let us know what you find out William.  There is not much activity at
all in their RoundTable here on GEnie and I've heard rumors that they were not
answering their phones.  However, I don't consider these to be anything more
than rumors at this point.  I have heard absolutely nothing from anyone I'd
consider to know. Most everyone I've talked to have merely repeated this same
story.

PASC where are you?      {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/31/91)

Category 1,  Topic 47
Message 40        Fri Mar 29, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 19:39 EST

Re: jhgillespie@ucdavis.edu

 > Does Palo Alto Shipping Company still exist?  I've been trying to
 > contact them to upgrade MACH2 (from 2.13) but noone answers the
 > phone.

We've head that same reaction from everyone trying to contact them John.  They
even have an RT here on GEnie, but there is no activity in there either.  IF
ANYONE ANYONE HEARS FROM THEM COULD YOU PLEASE POST THE INFORMATION?  I
suspect there are a lot of people out there wondering what is going on.

   {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/91)

 Date: 04-29-91 (22:31)              Number: 2029 of 2065
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: NEEL MCCLAIN                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: MACS AND FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 Do any of you know if the is a compiler for FORTH on the Macintoshes?
 I've be really interested in FORTH but I don't have a machine to run any
 of the programs on.  I would be greatful if any of you could tell me
 where to find one at.  Thanx.

 PCRelay:TJHSST -> #205 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10              TechNet @ TJHSST - Alexandria, Virginia
 <<<>>>
-----

 Date: 05-01-91 (09:03)              Number: 2062 of 2065 (Echo)
   To: NEEL MCCLAIN                  Refer#: 2029
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: MACS AND FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 -> Do any of you know if the is a compiler for FORTH on the Macintoshes?
 -> I've be really interested in FORTH but I don't have a machine to run
 -> any of the programs on.  I would be greatful if any of you could tell
 -> me where to find one at.  Thanx.

         Commerical: MacForth, Creative Solutions Inc.
         Shareware: Pocket Forth, downloadable on many fine Forthnet
         BBSes, such as the RCFB, number below \/\/\/\/

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/91)

Category 1,  Topic 47
Message 44        Fri May 03, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:29 EDT

[ If anyone would like a copy of one/more/all of these files, please
  drop me a note at one of the addresses at the end of this message.
  All binary files are UUencoded.  Files are then split (if necessary)
  into mailer-acceptable sized pieces and then mailed to you.
  In order for me to answer your request, you must:
      Include the line containing the file name. (so I know what you want.)
      Include your email address in the _body_ of the message.  You _must_
	  include an address *relative to* the InterNet or well known
	  UseNet site.
  -dwp]

Re:  NEEL MCCLAIN

 > Do any of you know if the is a compiler for FORTH on the
 > Macintoshes?

In addition to those that Jack mentioned, you should also check out this
newest addition for the Mac:

  No. File Name      Type Address       YYMMDD    Bytes Accesses Lib
 2376 YERKMANUAL2.SI  X   W.BADEN1      910307   360360     16     4
    KEEP  Desc: Part 2 of 2 of Yert documentation
 2375 YERKMANUAL1.SI  X   W.BADEN1      910307   303660     14     4
    KEEP  Desc: Part 1 of 2 of Yerk documentation
 2374 YERK.SIT        X   W.BADEN1      910306   452340     10     4
    KEEP  Desc: YERK source

   {B-{)>   DaR
-----

S47852EF@ETSUACAD.BITNET (Frank Earl) (05/09/91)

> Do any of you know if the is a compiler for FORTH on the Macintoshes?
> I've be really interested in FORTH but I don't have a machine to run any
> of the programs on.  I would be greatful if any of you could tell me
> where to find one at.  Thanx.

There's also YERK, the object oriented Forth for the Mac...
Formerly NEON, a commercial package from Kriya- YERK is a massive package
and is a solid environment for the MAC
It's currently available from Genie and from the Internet but not from any
BBSes that I know of yet (Hint...Hint...Hint...).

If you are interested, send me a letter- I'll work out some way of getting
it to you...

Frank Earl

409 Laurel
Greenville, TX 75401