[comp.lang.forth] Networking with Forth

NER034@PRIME-A.TEES-POLY.AC.UK (04/29/91)

                            Networking in Forth.

Some commercial systems DO have networking words.  We have developed a network
package for our   FORTH++   system.  This will be included as part of the
standard system on the next revision.

We have conducted some vary interesting experiments with our network package.
The system is described in a paper I sent to JFAR.

To include anything to do with networking in the standard would (a) not get
in, and (b) is a rotten idea.  The only way to standardise on such an issue
(if indeed we want to standardise) is for people to describe the words that
they have defined to use in such a situation.

Bill Stoddart

Peter Knaggs
+-----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------+
! School of Comp. & Maths.,   !    Janet: NER034 @ uk.ac.tees-poly            !
! Teesside Polytechnic,       !   Bitnet: NER034 % tp.ac.uk @ UKACRL          !
! Middlesbrough,              ! Internet: NER034 % tp.ac.uk @ cunyvm.cuny.edu !
! Cleveland, England. TS1 3BA !     Uucp: NER034 % tpoly.ac.uk @ ukc.uucp     !
!-----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------!
! It is not enough to do the right thing; one must also do it the right way.  !

baccala@eng.umd.edu (Brent W. Baccala) (04/30/91)

In article <9104291517.AA18543@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> NER034%PRIME-A.TEES-POLY.AC.UK@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV writes:

>Some commercial systems DO have networking words.  We have developed a network
>package for our   FORTH++   system.  This will be included as part of the
>standard system on the next revision.

I'd be interested in hearing what kind of facilities these packages provide.

>We have conducted some vary interesting experiments with our network package.
>The system is described in a paper I sent to JFAR.

Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the acronym.  Has your paper been published?
--
					-bwb

					Brent W. Baccala
					baccala@eng.umd.edu

NER034@PRIME-A.TEES-POLY.AC.UK (05/11/91)

Brent W. Baccala writes:

> >Some commercial systems DO have networking words.  We have developed a
> >network package for our   FORTH++   system.  This will be included as
> >part of the standard system on the next revision.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing what kind of facilities these packages provide.

As I explained at the time.  The network interface is a simple 12 screen
module.  It is only 12 screens because of the amount of comments given on the
shadow screens.

The code is based on the IBM NetBios.  Thus it provides for a Logical Naming
of devices with more than one name allowed for each device.  It can support
sessions (ISO level 5).  Sessions provide a organized and synchronized
interaction between application and network.  It can also support Datagrams
(ISO level 2 - Data Link) to transfer data directly from point to point.
Broadcasts are also allowed.  The words provided by this systems are:

      NEWNCB      - Generate a Network Control Block
      ADD-NAME    - Add a logical name
      ADD-GROUP   - Add a logical group name
      REMOVE      - Remove a name

      PHONE       - Connect a session with another logical name
      LISTEN      - Listen for an incoming PHONE connection
      HANGUP      - Disconnect the PHONE connection
      TX          - Transmit data
      RX          - Receive data

      DTX         - Transmit a Datagram
      DRX         - Receive a Datagram

      BTX         - Broadcast a Datagram
      BRX         - Receive a Broadcast Datagram

The act of network communication is preformed concurrently with the Forth
system, hence a task that executed a BRX may never receive it, but that wont
stop the rest of the system.  There are some additional words but I think you
get the drift.

> >We have conducted some vary interesting experiments with our network package.
> >The system is described in a paper I sent to JFAR.
>
> Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the acronym.  Has your paper been published?

JFAR is the Journal of Forth Application And Research.  My paper is currently
in review for publication.

JFAR is published by:
The Institute for Applied Forth Research, Inc.,
70 Elmwood Avenue,
Rochester,
NY 14511,
USA.