[comp.lang.forth] ANS TC/89-005 ZEN 1.60 Implementation

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/31/90)

 Date: 12-29-90 (17:44)              Number: 707 of 724 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JAMES MEYER                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: Tracy's ZEN Forth             Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

    Can anyone bring me up to date on Martin Tracy and his ZEN Forth
 programs?  At one time they were supposed to be test-beds/illustrations
 for the ANSI Forth effort.  Updated after each BASIS session.  I have
 seen messages on the net to Martin, but no replys from him yet.
    There is something about the style and purpose behind ZEN that
 appeals to my conception of what Forth should be.
    Has ZEN been orphaned like so many other things?  I hope not!!
 Jim
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.33 ~ HELP I'm being held prisoner in a tagline!!!
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/22/91)

 Date: 02-17-91 (21:02)              Number: 1244 of 1247 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: GUY GEORGE                      Read: 02-18-91 (09:18)
 Subj: COMMENT                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

     The ZEN stuff looks interesting but a bit buggy.. not quite as
 poished as the FPC 3.5 but looks quite a bit faster. Nice use of
 segments too as far as I can see. -Gotta run.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>

 Date: 02-17-91 (23:22)              Number: 1245 of 1247 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: GUY GEORGE                      Read: 02-18-91 (09:19)
 Subj: COMMENT                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

         Looks bogus, I'm afraid.

         The ZEN1_10.ZIP file contains a ZEN.EXE file of 150K that is
         80 percent zeroes. It appears that the EXE file was never
         written correctly, but was a COM type file (RAM image) that
         got renamed to EXE.

         I was looking for hidden vocabularies etc. whith a disk
         editor when I found this out. Thus ends another love afair.

         I like the Assembler stuff in the source listings
         though. I may try to get the assembler I have now to do that
         quality of stuff.

         Just thought I'd let you know.. in case you know someone who
         could fix it. It should be about 35K at the most. It is a
         bare-bones system.

         (I had a bit of heartburn over the seemingly excessive header
         space wasted with duplicated names also. I am not sure yet,
         but I think that duplicated stuff should have been thrown out
         after assembly or something. Oh, well.)

         For what it's worth, I hope the ZEN does not become the ANSI
         standard. It deviates too much from the grass-roots,
         home-brew type of programming language that has gotten a lot
         of us interested in the language in the first place.

         I will learn more about what is going on in the real world
         as my budget permits, though. Thanks again. -Guy (Paso Robles)

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/06/91)

Category 10,  Topic 34
Message 31        Tue Apr 02, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:05 EST

Re: caw@munnari.oz.au (Chris Wright)

 > Is there some documentation out there on ZEN?

Sure Chris, it's the ANS BASIS document that was in affect at the time ZEN we
released.  Martin's been tracking it as best he can and will soon (within
days) have a new one that tracks BASIS 15. Otherwise, I don't think he has had
much time to write up anything else.  I ask him tomorrow though and let you
know.

   {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/20/91)

Category 10,  Topic 34
Message 34        Sun May 19, 1991
GARY-S                       at 06:20 EDT

 In article <1991May17.095901.132@hls.com> tima@hls.com writes:
 >There is a FORTH Interest Group Forum on Compuserve. If you (or someone
 >you know) has an account you can download ZEN and related utilities
 >from the Forth Library 1.

   W R O N G   !!   There _is_ a Forth forum on CompuServe, but it is
                    _NOT_ sponsored by Forth Interest Group. It is run
                    by Don Colburn's Creative Solutions group - and
                    they do a splendid job.
   The _only_ on-line forum represented by the Forth Interest Group is the
   GEnie Forth RoundTable. Zen is also available there.

     Gary
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/20/91)

Category 10,  Topic 34
Message 35        Sun May 19, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 15:36 EDT

Gary, to Don's credit, they are opening up the Creative Solutions Inc. SIG up
to more of the public domain Forths.  They probably will never be able to open
up enought to become part of the ForthNet because of the contract they have
with CompuServe.  However, the work that Don is doing over there should not go
unrecognized.

Just of note of praise for our fellow workers.

<grin>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/21/91)

Category 10,  Topic 34
Message 36        Mon May 20, 1991
GARY-S                       at 06:23 EDT

 No argument Dennis. I even commented they do a splendid job.

 All I was doing was making sure there was no misconception regarding
 maintenance of the respective public access Forth watering holes.
 I wish there were fifty more possible points of confusion.
   Gary
-----