[comp.lang.forth] Documenting

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/05/90)

 Date: 12-26-89 (23:22)              Number: 1541 (Echo)
   To: R.BERKEY [ROBERT]             Refer#: 1510
 From: SYSOP (ECFB/SHIFRIN)            Read: NO
 Subj: DOCUMENTING                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 RB>This year, portability is out, the virtual machine is out,
 RB>vendor fiefdoms are in.

 I think what you're seeing is the amount of impact possible by a
 small number of very bright, very forceful, very hard-working
 people -- Greg Bailey and Jeff Hayes.  After all, it's my
 impression that a similar impact was made on the Forth-83
 standard with respect to floored division.  :)
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.10 #214s
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated program.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/07/90)

 Date: 02-03-90 (09:46)              Number: 2858 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: TODD NATKIN                     Read: HAS REPLIES
 Subj: ZEN FORTH/Mastering Forth     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Could someone please explain why ZEN FORTH, as it appears on this and
 other BBS's does not work as according to ZEN FORTH author Martin
 Tracy's directions in his book Mastering Forth.  Many of the examples
 point directly to ZEN FORTH syntax, but those words (such as USING,
 etc.) are not to be found anywhere.  And, how exactly does one implement
 the ZEN170.ZIP files using, presumably ZEN160.ZIP when none of the file
 related commands appear to operate?  A ZEN road map would be helpful.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.

 Date: 02-03-90 (16:58)              Number: 2859 (Echo)
   To: TODD NATKIN                   Refer#: 2858
 From: MARTIN ROWLAND                  Read: 02-04-90 (00:01)
 Subj: ZEN FORTH/Mastering Forth     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Mastering Forth and Zen 1.0 are similar.  Later versions of Zen conform
 to the ANSI standard.  See the Jan 90 issue of Dr DObbs or check
 out the Ansi basis document (rev 11).
 Martin
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/11/90)

 Date: 02-09-90 (19:51)              Number: 1581 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: TODD NATKIN                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: ZEN FORTH 170                 Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Perhaps someone could explain (in detail, pleeeeeze!) exactly how one
 reduces the source code found in the ZEN170 archive to a COM file --
 presumably using a compiled copy of ZEN160.  There must be a command I
 am missing somewhere.  Thanks.
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/21/90)

 Date: 10-16-90 (08:40)              Number: 4060 (Echo)
   To: JONAH THOMAS                  Refer#: 4054
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: NO
 Subj: SPEED TESTS                   Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 One piece of the pie you're missing is the "empty loop" benchmark.
 Suppose NEST, NEXT and FOR...NEXT take 19 seconds?  Then there would be
 a massive difference between PUSH/POP and MOV.

 I just use the Intel handbooks myself, but there are LOTS of books out
 there on assembly programming for the 80x86 family.
 ---
  * Via Qwikmail 2.01  The Baltimore Sun
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/21/91)

 Date: 05-12-91 (12:42)              Number: 2197 of 2202 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 2135
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORMATTING FORTH SOURCE C     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 At LMI, we experimented with shadow screens, but gave up on them almost
 immediately.  They are too limiting as documentation, and they also
 exacerbate the classic problem of separating documentation from code and
 helping them get out of synch.  We have grown to prefer the "vertical"
 coding style.  While it's true that you often don't get more than one
 definition on a screen this way, maybe 2 or 3 if they are really short,
 the documentation is right there and is easy to keep up to date.  In our
 larger programs, we make heavy use of the module concept, using a lot of
 little files which each contain a functional subset of the source code,
 and a "master" application file which holds the definitions of global
 variables and a bunch of "include" statements for the other files.  This
 approach seems to work well for us and also places pressure on us to
 keep the interfaces between the modules small and clean.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/22/91)

Category 3,  Topic 3
Message 3         Tue May 21, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 00:53 EDT

Re: RAY DUNCAN

I sure can't argue with you Ray.  I've experienced everything you mentioned
with regard to shadow blocks.  Yet, there's something about the vertical
formatting that doesn't quite work for me either. I supposed with block or
text files or any other "linear" approach to source management, I'm not going
to be satisfied.  I haven't experimented with the hypertext type systems yet.
Maybe they might hold some promise.

Has anyone done hypertext source code documentation?  I think the FPC might
have the facilities to do it.  Has anyone used them for program documentation
yet?

Ray, I know what you mean about the "modules as file" concept, but I haven't
been able to "sell" that idea yet.

Time will tell!   DaR
-----