[comp.lang.forth] Forth in print

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/10/90)

 Date: 01-09-90 (11:05)              Number: 232
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Three books I recently bought and highly recommend:

 Designing User Interfaces for Software, by Joseph S. Dumas
      Prentice-Hall  ISBN 0-13-201971-X

 Applying Cognitive Psychology to User-Interface Design,
      edited by Margaret M Gardiner and Bruce Christie
      John Wiley & Sons  ISBN 0-471-91184-4

 Handbook of Screen Format Design (third edition)
      by Wilbert O. Galitz
      QED Information Sciences, Inc.  ISBN 0-89435-258-X

 All of them are good.  I guess I would recommend them in the
 order listed.  The first is paperback, the others hardbound.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/17/90)

 Date: 01-15-90 (13:40)              Number: 2783
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 A new book, Programming for the Utter Beginner Who Has an MS-DOS
 Computer, will be published in early February.  I wrote it,
 Laboratory Microsystems will publish it.  The initial version
 will, for a time, be supplied with version 1.1 of LMI's UR/FORTH,
 which also has an early February publication date.

 The book's goal is to teach programming (not Forth) to the utter
 beginner.  Forth is indeed the language used, but it is viewed as
 the means, not the goal.  This gives the book a somewhat
 different slant than other introductory Forth books.

 The reader learns by working through examples and revising tools
 provided with the book.  Several screen files are provided:

  File            Size (bytes)

 ADDRESS.SCR      53248
 ANSWERS.SCR     158720
 ARRAYS.SCR       18432
 FOR.SCR           9216
 MENUS.SCR        23552
 NUMBERS.SCR      52224
 PROBLEM.SCR      14336
 SORT.SCR         11264
 SORTCODE.SCR      4096
 STRINGS.SCR      15360
         ====  ========
 Total     10    360448

 The next message contains the table of contents of the book.

 Let me know if you have questions or want additional information.

 Date: 01-15-90 (13:42)              Number: 2784
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: TOC OF NEW FORTH BOOK         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Here is the book's table of contents:

                         Table of Contents

                Introduction
            1.  How to Read This Book

       Part I:  First steps
            2.  Your First Program
            3.  Polishing the Program
            4.  Saving Your Program

       Part II:  Controlling the screen and basic structures
            5.  A Title Screen and Other Display Magic
            6.  Loops Within Loops:  An Example

       Part III:  Building a menu (and learning a lot)
            7.  Moving Toward a Menu
            8.  Characters from the Keyboard
            9.  Making a Choice
           10.  Return to Loops
           11.  Closer to the Menu
           12.  Making the Menu At Last

       Part IV:  Your own database of mailing addresses
           13.  The Printer and the Disk
           14.  Collecting Strings
           15.  Building the Record: the Plan
           16.  Building the Record: the Program
           17.  Making a Real Live Program

       Part V:  Some useful tools
           18.  Out of Sorts?  Here's One You'll Like
           19.  Double the Precision, Double the Fun
           20.  Converting Numbers into Strings
           21.  Double-Precision at Work
           22.  Collecting Numbers from the Keyboard

       Part VI:  Harnessing the powers of DOS
           23.  DOS Filenames:  Correction versus Prevention
           24.  DOS and Forth
           25.  From BLOCK to File

       Part VII:  The special powers of Forth
           26.  Inside Forth
           27.  Defining Words

       Part VIII:  Floating point, graphics, and final remarks
           28.  Just When You Thought You Were Safe from Numbers
           29.  Return to the Screen
           30.  Remarks on Design

                Bibliography

 Date: 01-16-90 (07:11)              Number: 279
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: NONE
 From: BOB JENNER                      Read: 01-16-90 (10:28)
 Subj: BOOK                          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi, Guys -
 This discussion is near and dear to my heart.  Here's two cents'
 worth.
 -
 It's two cents because I'm of two minds: "give 'em an easy start"
 vs "separate the wheat from the chaff early, it can be rough out
 there".  But on both sides, intentional is probably better than
 accidental.
 -
 In my experience, new users are indeed very fragile.  I suppose
 it's a very human sort of thing to be cautious in unknown and
 potentially dangerous territory, and for many this territory is
 fraught with dangers which are no less problematical for being
 unfounded.  They don't yet know that it's hard to blow up the
 machine.
 -
 I've recently spent considerable time with very new computer
 users, and they are indeed put off by things that are quite
 transparent to me in my normal working persona.  To offer a good
 introduction I need to be very careful to see with their eyes and
 mine at the same time.
 -
 But that's _users_, not programmers.  If this is a book for
 programmers, Forth programmers in particular, then the question
 is more interesting.  Programming in general, and programming
 Forth applications in particular, tends to take one out beyond
 the streetlights.  And at risk of overstating the case, if they
 can't handle the difference between horizontal and vertical .S,
 will they be happy / good in the real world?  Working with
 prototype hardware?  With the average documentation?
 -
 Well, it's easy to wax philosophical and ramble on along the
 lines of scouts vs settlers vs those who never left home; it's
 harder to come up with a solid basis for doing the book one way
 or another, to get it out the door in satisfying and saleable
 shape.
 -
 I think the immediate answer is to keep it scrupulously
 consistent.  It's good pedagogy and good business.  The best-
 selling textbook author trades at least in part on his ability to
 maintain the confidence and relative peace of mind of his
 student.  We're not talking fire-breathing flight instructors
 here.
 -
 But the other question, of how to teach or foster the ability to
 deal with life's little surprises, and _real_ bugs, well maybe
 it's a real market opportunity!  Some of this, perhaps most of
 it, is not teachable.  Some people are somehow bolder than
 others, and some are simply better equipped to handle it.
 -
 Intentionally putting errors in a text seems very risky,
 especially a beginner's text and without warning.
 -
 But I think some sort of warning is very much in order, a warning
 about the real world.  Maybe just a list of the "normal" problems
 that have cost us so much.  Like reversed lines in the new
 hardware, flaky chips, bad documentation, skinny estimates and
 deadlines, not even suspecting DOS could be the culprit; not to
 mention software things like not initializing variables and not
 testing for / preventing unintended stack growth.  Not just the
 big hairy bugs, but also the little stupid time wasters.  And I
 think they mostly don't need solutions, just a hint about the
 existence of the threat.
 -
 I think a newcomer would be pleased to pay cash for a book that
 included such a list, especially if told how valuable it is,
 maybe via a war story or two.  Me, too!
 -
 How I do ramble on sometimes.  Cheers -

 Date: 01-16-90 (10:28)              Number: 281
   To: BOB JENNER                    Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: 01-16-90 (15:01)
 Subj: NEW PROGRAMMERS               Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I understand the need for programmers who are strong-minded
 and able to function in a world of imperfect documentation
 and subtle bugs.  The question is then how to reach that goal.
 It is not unlike child-rearing, and in that parallel it is
 clear that a nuturing, supportive, and caring start produces
 people who become true adults, able to deal effectively with
 a complex and not always caring world.  Despite the common
 wisdom that slum children learn street smarts and become tough
 people, few (even those who take that position) send their
 children into slum conditions for their early education.

 My own book tries to help the new programmer (note the "new"--
 the book is, as the title says, for the "utter beginner") learn
 in a safe and comfortable environment, building toward the time
 when she or he can work independently.  Indeed, the first thing
 I have the user do is crash the system to a permanent halt by
 executing the phrase 4 EXECUTE.  By seeing things go bad and
 learning how to get out of it, they take the first step to being
 able to deal with that on their own.  And I do have bugs in
 various examples--but I tell them the bugs are there, and ask
 them to find and fix the bugs.  And I provide some tools and
 then have them revise the tools in specific directions.

 My hope is that by the end of the book, the reader can be the
 kind of tough-minded, independent programmer that we want.

 In my own experience, the teachers who came on tough, separating
 the wheat from the chaff in the introductory classes, were either
 sadists working out their own problems, or were simply not very
 good teachers looking for a rationale to escape the hard work
 that good teaching demands.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/18/90)

 Date: 01-16-90 (12:47)              Number: 2785 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: 2783
 From: STEVE PALINCSAR                 Read: NO
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Mike, is this something that could be of interest to a total novice who
 neither had access to, nor interest in, forth?  Could I, for example,
 use your structure profitably in doing a workshop for total novices in
 programming Crosstalk scripts?
-----

 Date: 01-16-90 (22:30)              Number: 2786 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: 2783
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 MH>A new book, Programming for the Utter Beginner Who Has an MS-DOS
 MH>Computer, will be published in early February.  I wrote it,
 MH>Laboratory Microsystems will publish it.  The initial version
 MH>will, for a time, be supplied with version 1.1 of LMI's UR/FORTH,

 Can you explain this, Mike?  Isn't UR/Forth around $300? How much
 will your book cost?  Or is this a subset of UR/F? Or do you mean
 that it'll be included with all new purchases of UR/F?
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.10 #214s
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/20/90)

 Date: 01-17-90 (08:36)              Number: 2794
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 The UR/FORTH system is $350, but the book will come in two versions.
 The first will be a tutorial to accompany UR/FORTH.  The second will be
 a combined book/software package, with a subset of UR/FORTH, that will
 sell for around $75.  Our objective is to provide a high performance
 beginner Forth system similar to the kind of system provided in the
 Microsoft Press "Learn C Now" and "Learn Basic Now" packages.

 Date: 01-17-90 (17:34)              Number: 2795
   To: STEVE PALINCSAR               Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: NO
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I aimed the book directly at total novices who have no experience in any
 programming context.  The book will be packaged with a Forth, however,
 so the reader will have access to a Forth.  I believe that programming
 can be learned (really) only by doing.  So the reader is led through
 various development efforts, from the very small to the relatively
 ambitious, with guided tours of bugs and revisions along the way.

 I don't think, however, that it would be useful in doing Crosstalk
 scripts.  They would have to learn the commands available there, and the
 book takes them carefully through structured experiences that would have
 little direct application to Crosstalk.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/21/90)

 Date: 01-19-90 (07:31)              Number: 2797
   To: GORDON GANDERTON              Refer#: 2789
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: NO
 Subj: NEW FORTH BOOK                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Version 1.1 of UR/FORTH will be $350.  The book, however, will be
 available separately with a subset of UR/FORTH, for about $75 (according
 to a note earlier posted by Ray).  The subset is ample for programming
 many applications and does include TURNKEY so that you can save the
 programs as executable files.

dwp@willett.UUCP (Doug Philips) (01/23/90)

 Date: 01-20-90 (15:27)              Number: 2807 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: NONE
 From: DAVID FOX                       Read: NO
 Subj: TOC OF NEW FORTH BOOK         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 It looks to me that the table of contents describe a book that IMHO
 looks like it has a unique approach to programming (and Forth).  Many
 programming books (even the extant Forth books) attempt to teach
 programming through examples that aren't really real-world applications.
 Very few of the programs I wrote for college programming courses were
 useful applications that I would use after I wrote them.  The majority
 were read-a-file and produce a report, with the report getting more
 difficult to produce as the course progressed.

 You seem to do it differently.  Even though I have just seen the table
 of contents of your book in the last message, the programs shown in the
 book (such as the name-address book program used for showing file

  -> RelayMail : I'm just trying out RelayMail-It's not registered yet.

 NET/Mail : The Snake Pit BBS - (408) 287-2353 - San Jose, CA

---
Preferred: willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu OR ...!sei!willett!dwp
Daily: ...!{uunet,nfsun}!willett!dwp   [in a pinch: dwp@vega.fac.cs.cmu.edu]

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/24/90)

 Date: 01-22-90 (10:17)              Number: 2812
   To: DAVID FOX                     Refer#: 2807
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: NO
 Subj: TOC OF NEW FORTH BOOK         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 The address-book example is relatively complete, though it is limited to
 200 addresses (more than enough for most personal address books)--has a
 title screen and a menu from which the user can pick Add addresses;
 Review/revise addresses; Print address book; Exit to DOS.  As the book
 works through the development, I reveal the inner workings of design and
 development by describing the sorts of mistakes that I made in thinking
 about the program and warning the reader when some smooth and simple
 approach was actually the result of much thinking and some trial and
 error.  I hope the reader will feel able to tackle reasonably large
 projects without panic after working through this example.

 Date: 01-22-90 (11:59)              Number: 104 (Echo)
   To: MARTIN ROWLAND                Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: SEEING FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Jack,
 >I read the article in Forth Dim. .  I am looking forward to "Seeing
 >Forth".  What exactly will this be ?  A history of forth?  An advanced
 >forth Tutorial?

        My model is Richard Re'ti's _Modern Ideas In Chess_. It's
 kinda both of those.

 >When do you publish?

        As soon as it's whipped into a shape that won't prove a total
 embarrasment to auther & publisher. I have the book all written,
 probably six more months editing?

  >thanks >Martin >ps How do you find time to keep up with all
 >thistuff and write a book?

 I sit in front of computers 16 hours a day. Not for long, bub!
 Enough of this! :-)

                =jax=
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/07/90)

 Date: 02-02-90 (12:26)              Number: 2853 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: EMBEDEDDED SYSTEMS PROG       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Tyler, if you're listening, perhaps you can let us know how it's
 >progressing.  FWIW, until the freebie form showed up, I had
 >decided to let my subscription lapse -- marginal interest for me,
 >and I'm already overwhelmed with computer mags, free and not.

        Talked to Tyler today. He says ESP is doing fine, that
 Miller Freeman considers it their most successful startup to date.

        Tyler explains that it ends up being more economical to give
 the magazine away to a target population than to mail out all the
 usual BS soliciting subscriptions.

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/24/90)

 Date: 02-23-90 (00:51)              Number: 2944 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 2853
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: EMBEDEDDED SYSTEMS PROG       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JW>       Tyler explains that it ends up being more economical to give
 JW>the magazine away to a target population than to mail out all the
 JW>usual BS soliciting subscriptions.

 Interesting.  How does that affect you as an occasional
 contributor? Same amount of dough?
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.10 #214s
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/25/90)

 Date: 02-23-90 (08:30)              Number: 2953 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: EMBEDEDDED SYSTEMS PROG       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >JW>       Tyler explains that it ends up being more economical to give
 >JW>the magazine away to a target population than to mail out all the
 >JW>usual BS soliciting subscriptions.
 >
 >Interesting.  How does that affect you as an occasional
 >contributor? Same amount of dough?

        The dough is just fine so far! You might wish to write
 an article or two :-)

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/11/90)

 Date: 03-09-90 (22:40)              Number: 304 (Echo)
   To: JACK BROWN                    Refer#: 300
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: Dewdney's Newsletter          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JB>Algorithm is a programmers newsletter Edited by A. K. Dewdney.

 Funny, I came across a reference to this (from another network)
 I'd been meaning to post here.  It sounds wonderful!

 Date: 03-02-90 (04:47)           Number: 3396           The Running Boar
   To: ALL                        Refer#: NONE
 From: NIGEL ALLEN                  Read: YES
 Subj: Programming Newsletter       Conf: (1) SYSOP
       A.K. Dewdney, Computer Recreations columnist with Scientific
 American magazine, has launched a personal programming newsletter,
 Algorithm. The new publication is aimed at amateur and professional
 programmers alike. It extends the Computer Recreations tradition of
 recreational and educational programming projects: the Mandelbrot set,
 cellular automata, chaos and dynamics, weird machines, stellar
 simulation, puzzles and many other topics.

       The new publication carries seven features and will expand to
 include more columns. Currently, it includes Algoletter, advice from
 professionals; Easy Pieces, fascinating projects for beginning
 programmers by Michael Ecker of Creative Computing fame; Personal
 Programs, exercises for more advanced programmers by Cliff Pickover,
 IBM's computer graphics wizard; Algopuzzles, computer mind-benders by
 Dennis Shasha, author of The Puzzling Adventures of Dr. Ecco; Algofact
 and Algofiction, invited articles and stories from well-known
 scientists and authors. A Bulletin Board advertises hosts of
 recreational products by individuals and small companies.

       Algorithm puts the "personal" back in "personal computing" by
 encouraging you to develop your programming skills while pursuing high
 adventure on the frontiers of science and computing. Order a free
 examination copy by writing Algorithm at P.O. Box 29237, Westmount
 Postal Outlet, 785 Wonderland Road, London, Ontario, Canada N6K 1M6.
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.26 ~

[I ported this only because of its one time nature.  --dwp]
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/04/90)

 Date: 05-02-90 (20:13)              Number: 3192 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: 3172
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH BOOK                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Jack, I explained in the earlier message that my suggestion was simply
 >to increase the efficiency of transmission for the user, not an attempt
 >to make you quit.  My attempt to upload a file didn't work, so perhaps

 Boy....  at least we've got some message traffic going in this
 conference that seemed to be dying.

 Would you be willing to send me a copy of your book for review?
 I am currently teaching a Forth course at BCIT so you could consider it
 a legit request for a review copy!

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/06/90)

 Date: 05-03-90 (06:43)              Number: 3203 (Echo)
   To: JACK BROWN                    Refer#: 3192
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH BOOK                    Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I see no problem.  Ray Duncan (LMI) will be publishing the book and does
 plan to have an UR/FORTH version completed very soon.  I will ask him to
 respond to your request.  (I imagine he'll see this note anyway, since I
 am posting it on the LMI board.)  I'm not sure when the standalone
 version of the book is scheduled, but there are very few differences
 between it and the UR/FORTH version.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/26/90)

 Date: 05-23-90 (06:45)              Number: 598 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: 05-23-90 (20:35)
 Subj: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Could you post the address at which to contact Embedded Systems for
 subscription information?

 Thanks.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530

 Date: 05-23-90 (20:35)              Number: 599 (Echo)
   To: MICHAEL HAM                   Refer#: 1257
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: 05-23-90 (20:50)
 Subj: EMBEDDED SYSTEMS              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 It's a Miller Freeman Publication, so use the same address as you find
 in Computer Language (500 Howard St. San Francisco)

Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/27/90)

 Date: 05-24-90 (18:12)              Number: 602 (Echo)
   To: JOE HANSEN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: ADVANCED MSDOS BOOK           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 The 2nd edition of my book does cover DOS 4.0x, but it doesn't cover it
 at the level you are talking about.  Are you looking at all Int 16H
 calls or only the old XT Int 16H calls?  It might be that DOS 4 is smart
 enough to call Int 16H Functions 10H and 11H if it finds itself on a AT,
 rather than the older functions.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/11/90)

 Date: 06-09-90 (14:15)              Number: 3338 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: (N/A)
 Subj: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 For those who work in programming departments in organizations, I
 heartily recommend the book Managing the Software Process, by Watts S.
 Humphrey of the Software Engineering Institute of Carnegie Mellon; the
 book is published b y Addison-Wesley.  As the title suggests, the book's
 focus is on the >process< by which software is developed (in formal
 organizations).  Humphrey offers a model of increasingly effective
 processes, from the almost chaotic "Initial State" through 4
 increasingly more effective stages of development; for each process, the
 highest priority action steps are identified to improve the process to
 the next level.  Very interesting and, so far as my experience shows,
 very much on target.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/01/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 188       Sat Jun 30, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:44 EDT

  Glen Haydon has just released his revised reference 'All About Forth'.
  Details and books can be obtained directly from Glen at the following:
   Dr. Glen Haydon
   Box 429, Route 2
   La Honda, CA 94020

   I do know it is over 600 pages, includes annotated source for 79 and
   83 Standards, and 4 kernels. The book is now based on the 8088/xx086
   family of processors.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/03/90)

 Date: 07-29-90 (19:43)              Number: 3594 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: CINDY BARTORILLO                Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH DIMENSIONS              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Does anyone have an address for me to write to about getting
 Forth Dimensions? That IS the name of the magazine, isn't
 it? While I'm on the subject, are there other magazines
 about Forth? I'm a magazine freak, so I'd appreciate hearing
 about anything good.

          ^*^ Cindy

 ---
  w SLMR 0.0a w Say goodnight, Gracie.
  ~ TomCat! 2.0 w The .QWK Mail Door for Wildcat! BBS

 PCRelay:BAUDLINE -> #78 RelayNet (tm)
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/03/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 191       Thu Aug 02, 1990
GARY-S                       at 07:14 EDT

   To:CINDY BARTORILLO
 Subj: FORTH DIMENSIONS

 >Does anyone have an address for me to write to about getting
 >Forth Dimensions?
   Forth Dimensions comes with FIG membership and the address
   for FIG is as follows:
    Forth Interest Group
    P. O. Box 8231
    San Jose, CA 95155

  While I'm on the subject, are there other magazines about Forth?
    Embedded Systems Programming contains a LOT of Forth on a very
    regular basis. It is now a controlled circulation magazine.
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/10/90)

 Date: 08-01-90 (20:22)              Number: 3615 (Echo)
   To: CINDY BARTORILLO              Refer#: NONE
 From: IAN WATTERS                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH DIMENSIONS              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 CBpWhile I'm on the subject, are there other magazines about Forth?

 FIG UK publishes ForthWrite.  It's bimonthly and is up to issue 54,
 with 55 due soon.  Never as "professional" as Forth Dimensions, it's
 still useful and friendly.

 As to getting copies, it comes as part of the membership fee.  I'm
 not sure what the "overseas" fee is, but then I'm not sure about the
 UK fee, either!  About 12 to 15 a year, I think.  The monthly London
 meeting is later today, I'll find out for you.

   Ian

 PCRelay:IBBSNET -> #143 RelayNet (tm)

 NET/Mail : DC Information Exchange, MetroLink Int'l Hub.  (202)433-6639
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/10/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 195       Thu Aug 09, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:29 EDT

   To: CINDY BARTORILLO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT

 >Thanks, Ian. I'd like to know how much ForthWrite is. And
 >where to write to.
    Try posting a note to one of the following:

     Doug Neale             Gil Filbey
     58 Woodland Way        21 Ferncroft Avenue
     Morden                 London NW3 7PG
     Surrey                 - ENGLAND -
     - ENGLAND -

 >Thanks for the address on FIG, Gary. I'll shoot that off
 >first thing Monday morning.
    Glad to help.

 >> Embedded Systems Programming contains a LOT of Forth on a very
 >> regular basis. It is now a controlled circulation magazine.
 >>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >
 >I know what you mean, but that's an ominous way to put it.
 >Sounds very hush-hush. Mustn't let secrets get into the
 >wrong hands, what?
    <sigh> I *know* you have to know exactly what that means, but
    you are also correct in pointing out I made some rather global
    assumptions about ALL readers of these posts.
   'Controlled circulation' publications provide free or drastically
   reduced subscriptions to a targeted group of readers in return for
   advertising rates that will support the circulation. Advertisers
   are willing to pay the required fees, knowing the ads will be read
   only (or primarily) by a group of readers that is more likely to:
    - 1 - read the ads
    - 2 - respond with purchases that justify the ad rates

    and they are not competing for space and attention with nose hair
    tweezers and kung fuey glow charms.

       To see if you qualify for a subscription write to :

          Embedded Systems Programming
          P O Box 52716
          Boulder, CO  80322-2716

      I almost forgot another publication that includes a lot of Forth
      material, wants more (MUCH MORE) and is one of the last grass roots
      computer Magazines extant.

           The Computer Journal
           190 Sullivan Crossroad
           Columbia Falls, MT 59912    ($18/yr, $32/2 years U.S.
                                        $24/yr US$ surface mail
                                        other countries)
        Gary
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/20/90)

 Date: 08-16-90 (19:10)              Number: 3665 (Echo)
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: NONE
 From: CINDY BARTORILLO                Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Thanks again, Gary. I hadn't heard about The Computer Journal,
 but I like the sound of "grass roots computer magazine". I still
 remember the days of Creative Computing and early Doctor Dobbs.
 I'm not sure whether it was more exciting then simply because I
 was being introduced to new challenges, or whether the computer
 journalism really was more vibrant--but it would be nice to find
 a magazine that could recapture that sense of wonder and
 discovery.

       ^*^ Cindy

 ---
  ~ SLMR 1.0a w
  ~ TomCat! 2.0 w The .QWK Mail Door for Wildcat! BBS

 PCRelay:BAUDLINE -> #78 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10                BAUDLINE II Frederick, MD 3016947108 675M HST

 NET/Mail : DC Information Exchange, MetroLink Int'l Hub.  (202)433-6639
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/20/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 197       Sun Aug 19, 1990
GARY-S                       at 06:36 EDT

   To:  CINDY BARTORILLO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT

 >Thanks again, Gary. I hadn't heard about The Computer Journal,
 >but I like the sound of "grass roots computer magazine". I still
 >remember the days of Creative Computing and early Doctor Dobbs.
    You're more than welcome.
    Nostalgia, wow! I started with DDJ when it was still published
    by People's Computer Company, and watched for the next hack to
    put on CP/M in MicroCornucopia...
    So I'm a little grey :-)
    Maybe TCJ can rekindle some of those feelings. Don't forget, they
    are looking for writers.
-----

ka2czu@cbnewsh.att.com (robert.switzer) (08/23/90)

>  Thanks again, Gary. I hadn't heard about The Computer Journal,

I missed this somehow.  Where do I get a hold of TCJ?

Thanks,
Robert S.

--
Robert Switzer                   | Amatuer Radio Operator KA2CZU
(201)949-0057                    |

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/19/90)

 Date: 09-16-90 (22:49)              Number: 1687 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: NIEL ERICSON                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hello to all Forth programmers everywhere!... I've been playing around
 in forth for awhile now.. and I have been reading "Thinking Forth" by
 Leo Brodie.... and a friend on mine in Calgary told me that a lot of
 Forth programmers didn't like Thinking Forth ... he says that they say
 that it's all screwed up.. (like, for readability, etc.) ... SO, I was
 wondering if this is true...?  do you seasoned Forth programmers like or
 dis-like this book??.. has anyone read it?.. thanx for the info.. ttul

     Niel Ericson

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/20/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 201       Tue Sep 18, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 23:14 EDT

Re: NIEL ERICSON

 > Forth programmers didn't like Thinking Forth ...

I've certainly never heard that one before.  I've heard nothing but praise
about the book.  Unfortunately, it is now out of print, so consider yourself
very lucky to have what is not a collectors item.

Who is this friend of yours so that we can send some "buddies" to explain it
to him?

<grin>   DaR
-----

 Date: 09-18-90 (07:48)              Number: 1688 (Echo)
   To: NIEL ERICSON                  Refer#: 1687
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 NE>Leo Brodie.... and a friend on mine in Calgary told me that a lot of
 NE>Forth programmers didn't like Thinking Forth ... he says that they say

 Thinking Forth is a superb book on software engineering.  I
 recommend it highly.
 ---
  ~ EZ 1.32 ~
-----

 Date: 09-18-90 (13:07)              Number: 1689 (Echo)
   To: NIEL ERICSON                  Refer#: 1687
 From: PETE KOZIAR                     Read: NO
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Well, I'm a FORTH programmer and I like it quite a bit.  I wish more
 programs in ALL languages were written like Brodie recommends!
 ---
  * Via Qwikmail 2.01  The Baltimore Sun
-----

 Date: 09-18-90 (15:15)              Number: 3797 (Echo)
   To: JACK WOEHR                    Refer#: 3777
 From: BARTON MEEKS                    Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH FOR 8031/8051U   1      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 JW> There is a bool advertised in Forth Dimensions about this.

 Thanks Jack.  But unfortunatly I don't have access to this.  Could you
 (or another reader) get me a title, publisher, etc. and a brief
 description?  Is this book about a commercial product, how to write
 you own, or what?
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/21/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 204       Wed Sep 19, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 23:08 CDT

 NE> a friend on mine in Calgary told me that a lot of Forth
 NE> programmers didn't like Thinking Forth ...

 This is the first I've heard of it.  I liked the book A LOT!  Maybe  I'm not
well-seasoned.  But, no point in defending it on emotion  against unspecified
charges.  I'm open to hearing "corrections" of any  errors in the book.

  -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/05/90)

 Date: 09-20-90 (13:03)              Number: 1692 (Echo)
   To: NIEL ERICSON                  Refer#: 1687
 From: NICK JANOW                      Read: 09-21-90 (00:43)
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I like "Thinking FORTH".  I look through it frequently; it helps me
 think about how I'm writing FORTH.  It certainly helped me develop good
 writing habits (or at least prevented me from developing bad ones).  I
 have no problems with recommending it to someone.

 Date: 09-21-90 (00:42)              Number: 1693 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: 1688
 From: NIEL ERICSON                    Read: NO
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 by the way... is there any Forth magazines or related objects around?..
 (like, good mags that all forth programmers should read or something??)
 ... cuz it seems that ever since I started using Forth in my programs
 (instead of all assembly)... I've enjoyed working in Forth more and
 more... man, when my JForth FINALLY arrives.. I'm going to have a
 blast!.. heh (I've been using PD Forth's in the meantime.. argh.)   ttul

 Date: 09-21-90 (00:43)              Number: 1694 (Echo)
   To: NICK JANOW                    Refer#: 1814
 From: NIEL ERICSON                    Read: NO
 Subj: THINKING FORTH                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 wow!.. with all these positive remarks about Leo's books... I think I'll
 re-read them both! hehh (unless he has some more I don't of out...)

 Date: 09-21-90 (18:27)              Number: 3817 (Echo)
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 3811
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I didn't like THINKING FORTH very much.  I thought it reinforced the
 image of Forth as a cult language.

 Date: 09-23-90 (00:55)              Number: 3854 (Echo)
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 3811
 From: DEAN MARTINDALE                 Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 GS> Just doo't believe everything it says.

 Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we be reading ALL books that way?
 Surely noone here believes everything they read blindly, do they?
 ---
  * MjrUTI : # 510/2.0

 PCRelay:FORTHNET -> RelayNet (tm)
 4.10a14             4th Net Data Channels  (801) 943-8837  SLC UT

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/29/90)

   To: NIEL ERICSON                  Refer#: 1693
 From: DAVID BREEDING                  Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH MAGS....                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 There is only one Forth magazine I know of, Forth Dimensions.  I know, I
 know, there are several other Forth related journals, but they're not
 magazines...

 Anyway, Forth Dimensions is published by FIG (Forth Interest Group) and
 is pretty good about putting good Forth articles on all levels together.
 If you'd like to learn more try to FIG board here...

 [ You can also reach them as follows: [Info from the latest Forth Dimensions]
   (408)277-0668   Voice		Forth Interest Group
   (408)286-8988   FAX			P.O. Box 8231
   					San Jose, CA  95155

   -dwp]

-----

   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: 803
 From: GENE LEFAVE                     Read: NO
 Subj: COLUMN                        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Ray,
 I always look forward to your column in PC, but I was a little
 disappointed that you didn't mention Dick Pountains's Object
 Oriented Forth book in this month's column.
 I had read a lot about OOL's but it wasn't until I actually
 implemented his words that I really understood what was
 going on.  The hardest thing about this concept, especially
 for old timers like myself, is getting past all the jargon.
 Seeing the concepts in Forth strips away the jargon and the
 bizarre C++ syntax, leaving the essential elements of
 vocabularies, arrays, and memory management.
 Although I realize that the number of Forth programmers in the
 "PCM" audience is to small for you to dedicate your columns to
 Forth, I would think that a book reference could be accommodated.
 Looking forward to next month.
 Gene
 ---
  ~ EZ-Reader 1.13 ~
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/13/90)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 220       Sun Nov 11, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 20:32 EST

Re: MICHAEL HARRIS

 > Could anybody please send me info on how to get FORTH Dimensions.

Sure Michael, for credit card orders, call (408) 277-0668, or send your
subscription information and a check to:

        Forth Interest Group
        P.O. Box 8231
        San Jose, CA  95155

Membership in FIG (which includes the current Volume year of Forth Dimensions)
is $36 for surface mail or $42 for air mail outside North America.  The
membership year is May 1 to April 30, and you will be sent the issues for the
preceeding months when you join.

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (11/28/90)

 Date: 11-24-90 (16:27)              Number: 283 of 293 (Echo)
   To: BRAD KOSOWAN                  Refer#: 162
 From: MICHAEL HAM                     Read: NO
 Subj: FIRST GLANCE                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 I have to admit that I wrote a beginner's guide to programming Forth for
 Laboratory Microsystems.  It is aimed at someone who has the LMI Forth,
 but it probably could be read with other Forths -- with some
 experimentation for application-specific terms.  You can send a message
 to Ray Duncan if you're interested.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (01/28/91)

 Date: 01-25-91 (18:57)              Number: 976 of 976 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JOE BATTELLE                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: TIL BOOK                      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 I am looking for a book titled Threaded Interpreted Languages,
  originally published by BYTE books. The book is now out of print.

 If anyone has a copy I would like to buy or rent it.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/11/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 230       Sun Mar 10, 1991
GARY-S                       at 06:10 EST

 Chris McEwen, publisher of 'The Computer Journal' has forwarded some
 galley proofs of his upcoming issue #49. It contains a VERY nice
 plug for GEnie and a special one in his editorial for the Forth
 RoundTable.

 Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone what a opportunity
 'TCJ' has offered simply for the taking. Chris _wants_ Forth articles,
 especially hands-on goodies. If we lose this outreach to the kind of
 grass-roots programmer that helped make Forth what it is today, we
 have not one person to blame but our collective self.

 Forth has a voice in 'The Computer Journal'. Forth has a voice in 'Forth
 Dimensions'. Forth has a voice in 'Embedded Systems Programming'. Forth
 has a voice in 'ACM SigForth Newsletter' and 'Journal of Forth Applications
 and Research'. Each of these reaches a different audience, all of whom
 should be nurtured and appreciated.

    Write your article today. We'll all be better for it.

     Gary
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/18/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 232       Fri Mar 15, 1991
GARY-S                       at 21:25 EST

 Subject: Potential Forth Books
 In article: <1991Mar14.194203.5168@cbnewse.att.com>
                cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:

 >I have been contemplating co-authoring some practical application
 >FORTH books. I noticed Phil Koopman post:
 >-- Would you like to see similar books for other CPUs?
 >
 >     < Many potential titles listed .....>
 >
 >Thanks, Clyde
 >P.S. Feedback on these titles is also highly valued.

      Applause... but who will publish and who will buy them, Clyde ?
      When even "Thinking Forth" is pulled by the publisher you have to
      seriously question the marketability of 'Forth in ECHELON'

     __         _  Gary Smith           * ... uunet!ddi1!lrark!glsrk!gars  *
    / _' _   _ (_' P. O. Drawer 7680    * GEnie Forth RT  &  Unix RT SysOp *
   /__/ (_|_/ '._) Little Rock,AR 72217 *   voice phone  :  501-227-7817   *
   ---------------        - U. S. A. -  *   group 3 fax  :  501-228-9374   *
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/18/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 233       Sat Mar 16, 1991
C.MCEWEN                     at 10:00 EST

Gary Smith writes: But who will publish...

This is probably best done through what is called "vanity press". That is, the
author funds the typesetting and a small initial print run. There are a number
of companies that work in this field. I am working toward getting Socrates
Press (The Computer Journal) into just this field of publishing technical
books of limited run.

The drawback, of course, is that the author takes the risk that the book will
or will not sell. The positive is that he/she holds the benefits if it does.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/18/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 234       Sun Mar 17, 1991
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 10:50 EST

Well, the last idea I had for a Forth book was a book on "Embedded Programming
in Forth" as an outgrowth of my long paper on metacompilers.  I figured that
the 8051 would be a good model to use in the examples, and that source code
should be included.

Two months later, Payne's book appeared.  (The story of my life... great
ideas, bad timing.)

I may still do something with this, along the "vanity press" lines. Keep me
advised of Socrates Press, Chris.

Re. Gary's comment, has anyone heard sales figures for Payne's book?

- Brad

P.S. what is "ECHELON"?

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/18/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 235       Sun Mar 17, 1991
C.MCEWEN                     at 19:36 EST

Right now, Brad, Socrates Press could handle the typesetting and production of
short run technical books. I have the equipment in house for the prepress and
have association with several short run book printers and binders. What I
don't yet have is the marketing side. A vanity press publisher should be able
to at least steer you toward potential markets for your work, even if he does
not share in the risk. Then again, I am associated with others in this field
and if the need arose, I am sure we could build the necessary leads within a
short period of time.
-----

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (03/19/91)

In article <2502.UUL1.3#5129@willett.pgh.pa.us>, ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:
> Category 4,  Topic 7
> Message 232       Fri Mar 15, 1991
> GARY-S                       at 21:25 EST
>

>  Subject: Potential Forth Books
>  In article: <1991Mar14.194203.5168@cbnewse.att.com>
>                 cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
>
>  >I have been contemplating co-authoring some practical application
>  >FORTH books. I noticed Phil Koopman post:
>  >-- Would you like to see similar books for other CPUs?
>  >
>  >     < Many potential titles listed .....>
>  >
>  >Thanks, Clyde
>  >P.S. Feedback on these titles is also highly valued.
>
>       Applause... but who will publish and who will buy them, Clyde ?
>       When even "Thinking Forth" is pulled by the publisher you have to
>       seriously question the marketability of 'Forth in ECHELON'
>
>      __         _  Gary Smith           * ... uunet!ddi1!lrark!glsrk!gars  *
>     / _' _   _ (_' P. O. Drawer 7680    * GEnie Forth RT  &  Unix RT SysOp *
>    /__/ (_|_/ '._) Little Rock,AR 72217 *   voice phone  :  501-227-7817   *
>    ---------------        - U. S. A. -  *   group 3 fax  :  501-228-9374   *

Or even as published Notebook/Cookbooks on the subject.
I mean a lot of this would be moot if there were
"application notes" from vendors, right? ( VENDORS: <sarcastic> "RIGHT" )

Clyde 8^)

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (03/19/91)

There has been recent discussion about using a "vanity press"
for publishing Forth books.  The usual situation is that a
vanity press publishes a small run of books for a fee,
and is in effect a publisher-for-hire.

My reaction is: if you're going to use a vanity press, why
bother at all??  If your book project is of so limited appeal
as to not be salable to a publisher, why not just go to the
local copying center and do a few yourself (the way Ting does)?
With desktop publishing there is no longer much incentive to
hire out typesetting.

If you are hoping that a vanity press will really help you
market your book, you may be in for a rude awakening.  While
there may be some exceptions (please enlighten me if you
know of any personally) the usual case from what I hear is
that vanity presses do a half-hearted marketing attempt
that very rarely accomplishes anything worthwhile.

If you really want to get Forth information out into circulation,
it is better to use a "real" publisher with established distribution
channels than a vanity press.  If you can't sell your work to
a publisher, you should think three times before paying to
have it printed up.  Publishers I know of are still eager for
an intermediate-level book on Forth.  Topics of interest are:
college-level texts, Forth for embedded real time control
(especially with lab experiments), and other intermediate-level topics.
Introductory Forth books are *not* desired.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Internet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.       (412) 935-6697
  Wexford, PA  15090
working for United Technologies Research Center starting March 25.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/30/91)

 Date: 03-16-91 (02:00)              Number: 1521 of 1557 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH IN DR. DOBB'S JRNL.     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

         Dr. Dobb's Journal has accepted for (ostensibly) the June 1991
 issue my article on a "medium-heavyweight" Forth multitasker. The
 article shows how to superimpose a preemptive multitasker on top of
 and in harmony with the traditional Forth cooperative multitasker
 already present in my Forth-83i96.

 Date: 03-18-91 (12:33)              Number: 1534 of 1557
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 1511
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 RE: books
 Not sure whether that list was books or topics.
 MIDI sounds interesting; but dont forget the Atari ST.
 Manipulating graphic files is one suggestion, numerous formats.
 Forth and the AD 2105 ? this is a low cost chip but I dont know anything
 about it.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/06/91)

 Date: 04-02-91 (14:08)              Number: 1727 of 1747 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: MICHAEL HAM'S BOOK            Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 The LMI UR/FORTH version of Michael Ham's Forth Tutorial Book is now
 available for immediate purchase.  The book is over 400 pages long and
 includes a disk of example programs, exercises, and solutions.  The
 price of the book is $50 to UR/FORTH owners.

 A slightly different version of the book with a bundled Forth system
 (called "Little Forth") will be available in the near future.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/12/91)

 Date: 04-07-91 (19:25)              Number: 1791 of 1793
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: NONE
 From: BEN COMBEE                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH IN PRINT                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 |  QUOTED FROM <GS>                                                   |
 |    I posted to ForthNet about this, but didn't see it come along    |
 |    the wires ... so if I repeat myself, please to forgive.          |
 |     "Dr. Dobb's Journal" has accepted an article of mine on         |
 |   "Medium-Heavyweight Multitasking in Forth", tentatively slotted   |
 |   for the June issue.                                               |

 Sounds great!  We need more FORTH in the mainstream press.

 -( Ben )-

 ---
  ~ SLMR 1.05 ~ "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" - DRH
  ~ RNet 1.08D:* Metrolink - Front Porch BBS 404-695-1889 HST -Super Regional
HU

 PCRelay:DCINFO -> #16 MetroLink (tm) International Network
 4.10              DC Info Exchange MetroLink International Hub
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/24/91)

Category 4,  Topic 7
Message 65        Thu May 23, 1991
ATFURMAN [Alan F.]           at 01:20 PDT

 > What publications, besides _Forth Dimensions_, cater to the Forth
 > community?

Here's one:

    _SIGForth_, the quarterly newsletter of the Special Interest Group
 on Forth of the ACM.

 Association for Computing Machinery
 11 West 42nd St.
 New York, NY 10036