[comp.lang.forth] Forth Publications?

gaulandm@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM (Mike Gauland) (05/10/91)

What publications, besides _Forth Dimensions_, cater to the Forth community?
I've seen bits on Forth here and there, but are there any other periodicals
devoted to the language?

On another note, anyone have any idea just how many Forth programmers are
out there?

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Gauland         KG7OS || "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe,
(503) 627-5067                ||  while the legislature is in session."
gaulandm@tekig7.map.tek.com   ||--unattributed; can't find the source.

jwoehr@isis.cs.du.edu (Jack J. Woehr) (05/11/91)

In article <1950@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM> gaulandm@tekig7.MAP.TEK.COM (Mike Gauland) writes:

>What publications, besides _Forth Dimensions_, cater to the Forth community?
>I've seen bits on Forth here and there, but are there any other periodicals
>devoted to the language?

	Journal of Forth Application and Research.

	Also, frequent Forthing found in "Embedded Systems Programming"
and "The Computer Journal" magazines.

	Dr. Dobb's Journal has frequently been hospitable to Forth. I'll have
an article in the June issue.

>On another note, anyone have any idea just how many Forth programmers are
>out there?

	I've heard the estimate of 200,000. My WAG is that there are about
20,000 Forth professionals.

--
 # jax@well.{UUCP,sf.ca.us}  # #  Member, # # Chapter Coordinator,  #
 # isis.du.edu!koscej!jax    # # X3J14 TC # #  Forth Interest Group #

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (05/16/91)

>	I've heard the estimate of 200,000. My WAG is that there are about
>20,000 Forth professionals.

  Jack,

    where are they? By professionals, do you mean "using Forth in their
jobs" or "like Forth and maybe even use it at least once in a while" or
"like the language". I don't see a large number of Forth positions
available these days -- of course I may just be looking in the wrong places
also.

Dave Ritchie - maybe the only Forther in Idaho??

  I would consider a job using Forth, but I am not too certain where to
look....

-- Dave

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (05/17/91)

In article <16850016@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com>, ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) writes:

> >	I've heard the estimate of 200,000. My WAG is that there are about
> >20,000 Forth professionals.
> >

>   Jack,
>
>     where are they? By professionals, do you mean "using Forth in their
> jobs" or "like Forth and maybe even use it at least once in a while" or
> "like the language". I don't see a large number of Forth positions
> available these days -- of course I may just be looking in the wrong places
> also.
>
> Dave Ritchie - maybe the only Forther in Idaho??
>
>   I would consider a job using Forth, but I am not too certain where to
> look....
>
> -- Dave
>
> ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

Hey DAVE! I'm movin to IDAHO this FALL!!!!
Have we talked????
BTW there is a company that does all it's products in FORTH in IDAHO.

They sent an appl.eng. to Chicago, who called me out of the chapter listings...

What a deal, a FORTH man in the new home state!

P.S. Just got a call from Alex Sacharov, a Russian FORTHER immigrated
to Chicago area. Neat.

ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (David Ritchie) (05/28/91)

>Hey DAVE! I'm movin to IDAHO this FALL!!!!
>Have we talked????
>BTW there is a company that does all it's products in FORTH in IDAHO.
>
>They sent an appl.eng. to Chicago, who called me out of the chapter listings...
>
>What a deal, a FORTH man in the new home state!
>
>P.S. Just got a call from Alex Sacharov, a Russian FORTHER immigrated
>to Chicago area. Neat.

Clyde,

  Please mail your phone number -- mailers going to back to you
appear to be dropping mail to you. I don't know if the problem is
on the HP or ATT side.....

-- Dave Ritchie
ritchie@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com