[comp.lang.forth] How to find FTP sites

Mitch.Bradley@ENG.SUN.COM (05/29/91)

The question often arises: where can I get "foo" via anonymous FTP (FTP
is the Internet File Transfer Protocol)?

There is a nice database listing Internet archives; you can access it via
Telnet.  Here's how:

        ftp quiche.cs.mcgill.ca

        login% archie
        (Lots of introductory messages; use "help" to learn more)
        archie> prog forth

The "prog forth" query lists over 100 Forth things available on various
FTP sites.  I searched the listing for "atari", and found 2 places where
Forthmacs is available:

        watserv1.waterloo.edu  /micro/atari-st/forthmac.arc
        terminator.cc.umich.edu  /atari/languages/forth.arc

Obviously, you can look for other things besides Forth; I have used archie
to find all sorts of things.

(Gary, Doug; perhaps this "archie" information should go in the monthly
announcement).

Mitch.Bradley@Eng.Sun.COM
(Thanks to John Gilmore for telling me about archie)

warnock@stars.gsfc.nasa.gov (Archie Warnock) (05/30/91)

In article <9105291721.AA13524@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, Mitch.Bradley@ENG.SUN.COM writes...
>(Gary, Doug; perhaps this "archie" information should go in the monthly
>announcement).
>
>Mitch.Bradley@Eng.Sun.COM
>(Thanks to John Gilmore for telling me about archie)

And thanks to Mitch for telling me about me. <g>

D'you suppose I could hire Lotus' Look-And-Feel lawyers and make some
money out of this?
-- Archie Warnock                     Internet:  warnock@stars.gsfc.nasa.gov
-- ST Systems Corp.                   SPAN:      STARS::WARNOCK
-- NASA/GSFC                          "Unix - JCL for the 90s"

jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) (05/30/91)

Mitch.Bradley@ENG.SUN.COM writes:

> The question often arises: where can I get "foo" via anonymous FTP (FTP
> is the Internet File Transfer Protocol)?
>
> There is a nice database listing Internet archives; you can access it via
> Telnet.  Here's how:
>
>         ftp quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
>
>         login% archie
>         (Lots of introductory messages; use "help" to learn more)
>         archie> prog forth
>
> The "prog forth" query lists over 100 Forth things available on various
> FTP sites.  I searched the listing for "atari", and found 2 places where
> Forthmacs is available:
>
>         watserv1.waterloo.edu  /micro/atari-st/forthmac.arc
>         terminator.cc.umich.edu  /atari/languages/forth.arc
>
> Obviously, you can look for other things besides Forth; I have used archie
> to find all sorts of things.
>
> (Gary, Doug; perhaps this "archie" information should go in the monthly
> announcement).
>
> Mitch.Bradley@Eng.Sun.COM
> (Thanks to John Gilmore for telling me about archie)

I tried this, but got a "login incorrect" at the "login% archie" command.

Any idea what gives ?  I'm calling from a VAX VMS system running VMS 5.x.

thanks,

- Jonathan

Internet : jdeitch@umiami.miami.edu               | "Good musicians execute
------------------------------------------------- |  their music but bad ones
"I'm a Time Lord.  I walk in eternity !" - Dr Who |  murder it !!! "

REEVES@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Terry Reeves) (05/30/91)

In article <9105291721.AA13524@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, Mitch.Bradley@ENG.SUN.COM
says:
>The "prog forth" query lists over 100 Forth things available on various
>FTP sites.  I searched the listing for "atari", and found 2 places where
>Forthmacs is available:
>
>        watserv1.waterloo.edu  /micro/atari-st/forthmac.arc
>        terminator.cc.umich.edu  /atari/languages/forth.arc

Actually the people who run the terminator archive prefer that you use the
address atari.archive.umich.edu. I think they actually point to the same
machine though, so it may not really matter.

                                                  Terry

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.194948.10259@umiami.ir.miami.edu> jdeitch@umiami.ir.miami.edu (Jonathan Deitch) writes:

   Mitch.Bradley@ENG.SUN.COM writes:

   > The question often arises: where can I get "foo" via anonymous FTP (FTP
   > is the Internet File Transfer Protocol)?
   >
   > There is a nice database listing Internet archives; you can access it via
   > Telnet.  Here's how:
   >
   >         ftp quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
   >
   >         login% archie
   >         (Lots of introductory messages; use "help" to learn more)
   >         archie> prog forth
   >
   > The "prog forth" query lists over 100 Forth things available on various
   > FTP sites.  I searched the listing for "atari", and found 2 places where
   > Forthmacs is available:
   >
   >         watserv1.waterloo.edu  /micro/atari-st/forthmac.arc
   >         terminator.cc.umich.edu  /atari/languages/forth.arc
   >
   > Obviously, you can look for other things besides Forth; I have used archie
   > to find all sorts of things.
   >
   > (Gary, Doug; perhaps this "archie" information should go in the monthly
   > announcement).
   >
   > Mitch.Bradley@Eng.Sun.COM
   > (Thanks to John Gilmore for telling me about archie)

   I tried this, but got a "login incorrect" at the "login% archie" command.

   Any idea what gives ?  I'm calling from a VAX VMS system running VMS 5.x.

   thanks,

I think that Mitch meant to say telnet quiche.cs.mcgill.ca.  Another
way to do the search is to send mail to archie@cs.mcgill.ca with the
word help in the message body or the request prog <what you want to
look for> in the message body.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov