[comp.lang.forth] MS Windows 3.0

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/22/90)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 1         Thu Dec 20, 1990
L.LISLE1 [Greg]              at 19:21 EST

I Have started looking at the Windows 3.0 documentation and it seems to be a
strictly 'C' environment.  Do we care?  Windows seems to be a major thrust in
the desktop environment.  OTOH, if we are primarily pushing embedded systems
we may not need to worry about GUI's.  OTOH, what will our development
environment be in the future?

What say the gurus?

           -- Greg Lisle, P.E.

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/22/90)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 2         Thu Dec 20, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:48 EST

Greg, I also need to start looking at the Windowed environments.  In today's
market, producing something that has a TTY user interface is senseless.  The
Mac, Windows 3, OS/2 and UNIX w/ X WINDOWS all use the windows concepts and
are what users want to use.  Yes, we still write embedded systems, but we also
sell complete solutions which include user interfaces.  If the customer wants
windows you have to give them to him.

How far have you gotten into the Windows 3 documentation so far? Have you
gotten yourself the Software Development Kit?  I've look briefly at them and
they do seem very slanted toward C.  I'm hoping that it is possible to write
pure MASM programs for Windows, but I haven't figured out how yet.  I haven't
tried very hard yet though, so anything is still possible.  I'll try to keep
you informed and maybe we can get some others to tell us what they know.

Has anyone out there made a pure MASM Windows App?

DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/28/90)

 Date: 12-20-90 (09:39)              Number: 640 of 656 (Echo)
   To: L.LISLE1 [GREG]               Refer#: 619
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

   >I have started looking at the Windows 3.0 documentation and it
   >seems to be a strictly C environment...

 It is perfectly feasible to bring up a Forth in the Windows environment.
 The API is based on stack parameter passing and far calls, like the OS/2
 API, and this is actually extremely convenient for implementation of
 Forth.  LMI is currently developing a Win 3 version of Forth and will be
 selling this in 2Q91.  (We previously brought up a version of Forth for
 Win 1.03 but never sold it because the memory problems of Win version 1
 imposed too big of a performance hit).

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You cannot Reply to the author
using email.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, whatever).

 Date: 12-23-90 (17:35)              Number: 667 of 674
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: 640
 From: DENNIS MCCUNNEY                 Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 RD3 Forth.  LMI is currently developing a Win 3 version of Forth and
 RD3 will be selling this in 2Q91.  (We previously brought up a
 RD3 version of Forth for Win 1.03 but never sold it because the
 RD3 memory problems of Win version 1 imposed too big of a
 RD3 performance hit).

     Were you able to use any of what you had developed for Win 1.03 in
 the Win 3.0 development, or did you have to start over from scratch?

 -> MegaMail v2.01 #0:12/23/1990 - R/O Capable - Route to ->RUNNINGB

 PCRelay:RUNNINGB -> #3 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10                Running Board 2126541349/DS/2125191791/HST/
 <<<>>>
-----

 Date: 12-2390 (0922)             Number: 67 of 68
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: 640
 From: STEVE PALINCAR              Read NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0             Sttus: PBLICMESSAG
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

[Sorry about the readability here.  This is the way I got it.  -dwp]

 Isn't there apt to be a major documentation hassle?  From what I've
 rad (ostly n PCMagazie) vrtuall everything written about Windows
 programming is all geard toward C -- C nomnclatue, Cexampls, ec.
 Ihave asoluely nodoub Forthcan run under Windows (after all isn't
 Ator,one f th majorprogramming languages available for windows at
 heart built on a frth ore?) ut hw is oe tomake te metal
 translation from all tose  chickntraks int forh?  Wold oe need
 the Microsoft SDK for Windows (at whatever exorbitant price they're
 asking forit tody) b requied i additon t LMI dcumetation?

 PCRelay:DCINFO -> 16 MtroLin (tm Interational Network
 410             DC Info Exchange MetroLink International ub
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (12/29/90)

 Date: 12-25-90 (18:52)              Number: 683 of 686 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS MCCUNNEY               Refer#: 667
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

    >were you able to use any of what you had developed for Win 1.03
    >in the Win 3 development, or did you have to start over from scratch

 There was really very little that could be recovered from the Win 1.03
 implementation.  The protected mode environment of Win 3 and the new
 multi-line controls simplify the Win 3 implementation considerably (in
 the Win 1.03 we had to change the whole kernel because of real mode
 Windows 1.03's demand that BP always point to a C-like stack frame).
 In addition, I've gained a lot of experience with GUI environments and
 applications since I did the Win 1.03 version and I think I can make a
 much better programming environment than I did the first time.

 Date: 12-26-90 (10:58)              Number: 687 of 698 (Echo)
   To: STEVE PALINCSAR               Refer#: 675
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

   >how is one to make the mental translation from all those C
 chickentracks into Forth

 For one, the stackbased nature of the Windows API is very Forth-like.
 If you look at the C function prototypes in the Win documentation, and
 simply think of the things inside the parenthesis of the prototype as a
 set of arguments to be pushed onto the stack from left to right, then
 you have the Forth interface.  We have a lot of experience with this
 from our OS/2 version of FORTH (which we have been selling from several
 years) and we find that the fact that the official documentation is
 C-oriented turns out not to be a hindrance.

 Anyway, we will export very high level words within the Forth which will
 create windows, handle windows messages, etc. in a natural manner.  The
 user will not have to diddle with the low-level Windows interface stuff
 at all if he doesn't want to.

 Date: 12-26-90 (11:02)              Number: 688 of 698 (Echo)
   To: STEVE PALINCSAR               Refer#: 675
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

    >Would one need the Microsoft SDK for Windows in addition to
    >the LMI documentation

 No.  However, the Windows programming manuals would be handy if you
 don't want to be limited in your use of the Windows API.  The official
 Microsoft Windows manuals can be purchased in any technical bookstore
 under the Microsoft Press imprint, they contain exactly the same
 documentation as is provided in the SDK.  The 3 manuals are:

   Windows Guide to Programming  ISBN 1-55615-308-2  $29.95
   Windows Programming Tools     ISBN 1-55615-310-4  $24.95
   Windows Programmer's Ref.     ISBN 1-55615-309-0  $39.95

 The Guide to Programming and Programmer's Ref are critical.  The
 Programming Tools book is helpful but not really necessary.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/04/91)

 Date: 02-25-91 (20:17)              Number: 1335 of 1349 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: BLAKE CHAPMAN                   Read: 02-25-91 (22:36)
 Subj: WINDOWS                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 In an article in the latest issue of Computer Language the author
 says that LMI is planning to release a Forth for Windows in the
 next few months.  My boss asked me to ask you about it because he
 is possibly interested in putting our application under MS Windows.
 Is this FORTH that you are developing to run under Windows going to
 run in 32 bit code and data segments like your Phar Lap version
 of FORTH ?  I personally would prefer to put our application under
 Motif and X windows, like Deskview/X, but I am not the boss.
 However, since Deskview/X supports Phar Lap applications I would
 guess that your 386 FORTH on Phar Lap will run under Deskview/X.
 Do you think so ?   Although a programmer would need to write
 calls to the Deskview API.

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/14/91)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 12        Fri Apr 12, 1991
G.LEFAVE [Gene]              at 06:52 CDT

I just tried polyFORTH under windows in protected mode on a 33 MHZ 486.  I ran
the following timing tests:

: tt  1000000 0 DO I DROP LOOP ;

1700  milliseconds.

: tt 1000 0 DO I BLOCK DROP LOOP ;

2300  milliseconds

This last test requires lots of switches from protected mode to real mode.

This makes it slightly better then twice as fast as a 33 MHz 386.

Should be fast enough for just about anything.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/14/91)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 13        Fri Apr 12, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:26 EDT

That is good to hear Gene.  I will pass your numbers on to Stephen.

We are noticing another worrysome problem under Windows though.  Any I/O is
getting trapped by the OS and causing sever delays.  I don't have the number
handy but I now know why 9600 baud seems to be about as good as most Windows
comm programs can do.  Does anyone out there know how to convince Windows or
the DPMI driver that I/O to specific ports does not need to be trapped?  I
know there are some flags that can be set in the segment descriptor table, but
there doesn't seem to be any clean way to get at them.  Does anyone have any
experience in doing this?

   {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/19/91)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 16        Thu Apr 18, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 21:19 EDT

Re: oneel@heawk1.rosserv.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel )

Subject: Forth and Windows 3.0

Stay tuned Bruce,  Ray Duncan has said that he was working on it, and I'm sure
the other vendors will follow eventually.  As for pd, well some of us are
going to have to recoup our investment in the learning curve before we start
giving things away.  There are some working on it, but the investment appears
to be pretty high.

You want the results for free?   {B-{)>   DaR

Re: RAY DUNCAN

 > To get rid of hardware virtualization, run Win 3.0 in Standard
 > Mode.

uugh!  But we need the DPMI services which are only available under Enhanced
Mode.  Isn't there any way to modify the Segment Descriptor Table to let us
have some of the I/O ports without trapping them?

Thanks for the reply anyways!   {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/24/91)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 17        Tue Apr 23, 1991
G.LEFAVE [Gene]              at 08:31 CDT

Dennis,

I run my own comm program based on an old pf model, and it runs at 19.2K baud
reliably.  Although, when running in a window the screen is updated
sporadically.   My experience is mixed.  Some comm programs have a problem and
some don't.  I have not found any problems at all when running "exclusive"
mode.  Polling (Crosstalk) tasks are affected a lot when running in
background.   I have not been able to figure out what windows is doing with
serial ports. But I have tried removing the COMM stuf from the .ini files with
apparently no change in behavior.   Could the problem be a mode switch?  The
DPMI mode switch takes a couple 100 us, which would prevent operation above
9.6 K baud.

My current problem is trying to trap the Break Interrupt.  What ought to be
trivial is turning into a real project.

Gene

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/24/91)

Category 1,  Topic 57
Message 18        Tue Apr 23, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:12 EDT

Re: G.LEFAVE [Gene]

 > I run my own comm program based on an old pf model, and it runs
 > at 19.2K baud reliably.

Using DPMI int calls?

 > The DPMI mode switch takes a couple 100 us, which would prevent
 > operation above 9.6 K baud.

We belive that is what the problem is, but there is a way to tell the 386 to
not trap on a selected set of I/O ports.  We've yet to figure out how to get
DPMI or Windows to do it.

 > My current problem is trying to trap the Break Interrupt.  What
 > ought to be trivial is turning into a real project.

I really would appreceate hearing how you do on that one.  It has me totally
stumped, especially considering what our DOS Break code does.

However, I think there is going to have to be a "mode" switch in our thinking
here as we work under Windows.  "Normal" Forth (or the ones I have the most
experience with) only looks at the keyboard when it wants to (i.e. passive).
The way that Windows wants you to write code is to let Windows shove messages
at you whenever it wants to. Thus, there is always a portion of your code that
is looking for something to happen (i.e. active).  There is no Break support
in Windows, because you always have the mouse to click on the abort button.
Making it work, is going to be real fun.

Can anyone out there share their experiences in working with this "mind
switch"?  I'm not sure about Unix, but the Mac does work under this Message
Processing architecture.  How does this work with Forth's KEY and EXPECT?

You're right though Gene, this IS a real project.

Is it going to be worth it?   {B-{)>   DaR
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/26/91)

 Date: 04-19-91 (17:46)              Number: 1962 of 1988 (Echo)
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 1908
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO

    Bruce O'Neel Writes:
    >How about a Forth that supports Windows applications

 LMI is currently developing such a Forth for Win 3.  We expect to
 release a preliminary version to Beta testers around the beginning of
 May and retail release in 4Q91.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (04/28/91)

 Date: 04-24-91 (08:27)              Number: 1989 of 1989 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 1973
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 -> Can anyone out there share their experiences in working with this
 -> "mind switch"?  I'm not sure about Unix, but the Mac does work under
 -> this Message Processing architecture.  How does this work with
 -> Forth's KEY and EXPECT?

         The Amiga, a fully-multitasking operating system, has a message-
 based architecture.

         Like many multitasking systems, an Amiga application should
 Wait(messages_mask) in between activities.

         The trick is that in a GUI you have to set the bits for several
 different types of messages and be ready to handle them when they come
 in. So even simple words like KEY before they call Wait() have to set
 several different bits (keystroke, mouse select, close button, etc) that
 indicate what kind of messages they are willing to accept.

         Then when a message *does* come, they have to process whatever
 message it might be within the range of messages they were willing to
 accept.

         If you get too frazzled, Dennis, you oughta look at contracting
 this out :-)

         =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
 <<<>>>
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/16/91)

 Date: 05-05-91 (09:49)              Number: 2116 of 2164 (Echo)
   To: DENNIS RUFFER                 Refer#: 2071
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: NO
 Subj: MS WINDOWS 3.0                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 I see that you are doing a bunch of mode switching stuff in your
 DPMI-based Forth.  I built a DPMI-based FORTH last year as an experiment
 (mainly to fiddle around with the DPMI interface) and I wonder if you
 are aware that the built-in Windows DOS Extender works in both 16- and
 32-bit mode.  If you just make the initial mode switch telling the DPMI
 server that you are going to run as a 32-bit app, you don't have to do
 all this funny 16/32 bit mode switching stuff on the fly just to talk to
 the DPMI interface and DOS.

 Date: 05-06-91 (12:28)              Number: 2117 of 2164 (Echo)
   To: RAY DUNCAN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: MIKE HALLORAN                   Read: 05-06-91 (18:21)
 Subj: ESP FISH WRAPPER              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 As an advertiser and contributor, I assume you have some leverage with
 Embedded Systems Programming magazine.  They seem, ah, confused.
 I was a charter subscriber; paid for it out of my own pocket.  When they
 went to controlled circulation, I assumed that I would qualify, since
 ESP is what I do for a living.  I even got a note in the mail assuring
 me that I was doubly qualified, since I subscribe to other M-F rags.  A
 year went by, and I got a letter saying that they had in fact received
 all the qualification cards I sent in, but they didn't think I was
 qualified enough to justify a subscription; but if I sent in just one
 more, they would think about it.  I was livid.  After calming down,
 which took several months, I sent a flame to Tyler Sperry on CIS, and
 got what must be the corporate standard response; none at all.  More
 recently, I left a msg on their bbs, and got a reply(!) from the sysop,
 saying that they only qualified people a couple times a year, that they
 were doing it now, and to inquire again if nothing happened in the next
 month or two.  The last issue I got was February 1990, and I have been
 waiting, a month or two at a time, for another.  Is that any way to
 run a business?

 NET/Mail : LMI Forth Board, Los Angeles, CA (213) 306-3530
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/17/91)

Category 1,  Topic 19
Message 33        Thu May 16, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 00:57 EDT

Re:  RAY DUNCAN

 > I see that you are doing a bunch of mode switching stuff in your
 > DPMI-based Forth.

The DPMI version does do "translations" when it does DPMI simulated DOS calls,
but otherwise it is fairly "sane".  I didn't do that one though, and I'm not
sure I still totally understand it.  The mode switching when it loads
(protected to real to protected) is too much for what I'm after.  Stephen was
aware of the 32-bit app bit from one of your articles (BTW) and the system
runs pretty good.

However, I'm trying to do it all without DPMI, using just windows calls, and I
think I'm getting closer.  Today, I was actaully able to let Windows "free"
from the shackles I have it in.  My first (working)
PeekGetTranslateDispatchMessage loop ran (!YEA!).  I'm finally into the Forth
edit/debug cycle instead of the MASM/MAKE one I've been spending most of my
time in.  I still crash, but I'm starting to even understand why.

I'm using the WINMEM32.DLL stuff that comes with the SDK.  Do you know
anything about it?  I suspect I may have found a bug in it (or insufficient
documentation) when it comes to what GetMessage can use.  I managed to get
around the problem by moving the message in and out of a GlobalAlloc structure
because it didn't like the Global16PointerAlloc that I had been trying to use.
So, now I can use either method.

However, I also found out that Microsoft has no one to answer questions unless
you subscribe to Microsoft Online.  I'm not ready to do that yet.  Do you
subscribe to it, or are you one of the ones who answers the questions?  Do you
know anywhere else that I can find answers to the "really tough" problems?

We should talk!   DaR

BTW, for those "watching" these birth pains, the call that I was trying to
make a few messages ago is compiled by MASM using the following:

        CALL dword ptr Routines[BX]

Almost even makes sense: :)
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/25/91)

Category 1,  Topic 19
Message 34        Sat May 25, 1991
P.VARN [Paul Varn]           at 01:14 PDT

I couldn't find another place to post a request for help. I'm trying to learn
Forth on the Atari ST.  I have the '83 version of Brodie's book but I'm having
trouble with starting out.  I can't figure out how to create a new file so I
can open and edit it.  I also can't figure out how to remove or add blocks to
a file. The implementations I've tried are: F83.TOS and F65K.TOS.

Can anyone suggest a better documented ST Forth to learn from or give me some
hints on the ones I've tried to get me over the starting learning curve?
Thank you.
 -Pv-

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/25/91)

Category 1,  Topic 19
Message 35        Sat May 25, 1991
P.VARN [Paul Varn]           at 01:20 PDT

I made a small error in my lat post.  Should have been F68K.TOS NOT F65K.TOS.
 -Pv-

-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (05/25/91)

Category 1,  Topic 19
Message 36        Sat May 25, 1991
ELLIOTT.C                    at 08:30 EDT

Paul Varn,

Did you try the TOP or IND commands?  If there's a better place to put this
exchange I'll find it, or STArt a new topic in CATegory 1 or 7, (which you
could have done). In the meantime - I share your consternation:  it's been so
long since I actually created a file of Forth source code that I had to try to
read up too.  Way back when faced with the same problem I may have created a
file by way of the OS (MSDOS) and then openned it in Forth to add blocks with
MORE.  I just spent a few minutes poking around (could have started with WORDS
but didn't) and came up with n CREATE-FILE <name>.  "n" is the number of
blocks you feel like starting with.
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/08/91)

 Date: 06-04-91 (18:09)              Number: 101 of 102 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: RAY DUNCAN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH FOR WINDOWS             Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 We are getting very close to the release of the first beta version of
 LMI's Forth for Windows.  We will be opening up a special conference on
 the LMI Forth Board for WinForth beta testers, and we will post updates
 to the executable file in this conference very frequently (probably
 every 2 or 3 days for several months).

 WinForth beta testers must be registered users of one of LMI's UR/FORTH
 products and must be prepared for a great deal of aggravation.  The
 Forth system is still changing rapidly as we build the user interface
 and evolve a reasonable word set for window creation and management.  We
 still have a great deal of work to do in optimization of display and so
 on, and after that we expect to make some radical changes to source code
 management as well.

 If you wish to be a WinForth beta tester, leave a message on the LMI
 Forth Board and you will be authorized for the conference as soon as it
 opens up next week.