[comp.lang.forth] A SIGForth is starting in ACM - Help!

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/09/90)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 60        Sat Sep 08, 1990
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 22:59 EDT

Re: dwpst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Douglas W Philips)

 > I wonder how FIG would feel about doig an article on SigForth?

I see no reason for Marlin to object to such an article.  In fact, if it is
well written, I can think of many reasons to promote it. You know of anyone
who would write it Doug?  Send them Marlin's way!

DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 61        Sun Sep 09, 1990
ATFURMAN                     at 02:31 PDT

FIG:

Member services such as exchange of information via chapter meetings,
technical conferences, and GEnie/ForthNet (MAJOR contribution--good show, Gary
Smith!); distribution of software and textbooks.  Contrary to popular belief,
FIG is about an even mix of hobbyists and professionals rather than
predominantly hobbyist.  Informality reigns.

SIGForth:

A presence for Forth inside the professional/research/academic Establishment.
Publications and conferences address software engineering topics of special
professional concern such as reliability and project management (along with
general technical topics).

SIGForth was intended to complement FIG by reaching professionals who never
joined FIG, by leveraging off ACM's aura of starchy professionalism, and by
doing whatever else is needed to make Forth application design a viable way of
making a living with a bearable level of job-hunting hassle.

Bottom line:

The two organizations, put together, address essential needs of the Forth
community, which no single organization could.  FIG's freewheeling, open
atmoshphere would shrivel if FIG tried to put on the kind of professional
image that promotion in the commercial arena demands.  I would feel the loss
personally.  It is worth paying two sets of dues to avoid it.
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/10/90)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 62        Sun Sep 09, 1990
GARY-S                       at 13:11 EDT

 >SIGForth was intended to complement FIG by reaching professionals who never
 >joined FIG, by leveraging off ACM's aura of starchy professionalism, and by

    Incidently, Mr. Furman has kindly consented to a guest appearance on
    November 15, 1990 to discuss this very subject - 'SIGForth ACM revisited'

    This will place Alan's conference squarely on the deadline for paper
    submissions for the 1991 SIGForth Conference, so if you are interested
    in this organization Alan, George, Paul, Dave et al have worked so hard
    to promote this is a golden opportunity to get your information first-
hand.

   aside:
  >... ., and GEnie/ForthNet (MAJOR contribution--good show, Gary Smith!);

     I appreciate the 'ATTA-BOY', but I hasten to note this has been a group
     effort with praise and thanks due Jerry Shifrin, Jack Woehr, Doug
Philips,
     Don Madsen, Jack Brown, Lance Collins, Tommy Rolf, Dennis Ruffer  and
     so many others who have helped create the ForthNet and MOST ESPECIALLY
     the participants who post the messages and files. An empty mailbag makes
     for a lousey NET !

     Gary    uunet!claris!wet!gars    well!gars@lll-winken.arpa
             uunet!ames!chinet!gars
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/13/90)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 64        Tue Sep 11, 1990
DANMILLER [dr. dan]          at 22:16 CDT

Larry Forsely in Rochester is heading up the ACM sigforth nominating
committeee for election of sigforth officers this fall.  Contact Larry Forsely
direct if interested.  or send me email here on genie and I'll try to forward
it to him for you. .
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/14/90)

 Date: 09-11-90 (13:10)              Number: 3759 (Echo)
   To: PHIL KOOPMAN                  Refer#: 3750
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: A SIGFORTH IS STARTING IN     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 GS> From: koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman)

 GS> The information on SIGForth membership form the latest newsletter is:
 GS> $11/yr students, $20/yr ACM members, $42/yr non-ACM, $33/yr library.
 GS>   Non-US Airmail $8 extra.

 I would caution people who join Sig Forth to be patient while they wait for
 their newsletters.  I was a charter subscriber and have only ever recieved
 3 issues of the newsletter.  I've talked to other Sig Forth subscribers and
 I am not alone.   This was over 2 years ago and means I am out the cost
 of one years dues.  How do I go about request a refund for one years
 dues?  I doubt Sig Forth will ever get caught up to date as they are 4
 issues behind now.  ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.01 #260s

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/12/91)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 20        Mon Mar 11, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 02:14 CST

     I just returned from the sigForth conference in San Antonio.  The
weather and food were great!
 .
     I saw some old friends and met some new ones and only got into one  hell-
raising argument (3-way between Alan Furman, Paul Snow, and  myself).  I like
arguing on GEnie better, as here we have a chance to  complete a sentence
before being interrupted.
 .
     I was disappointed that Dan Miller and Phl Koopman and Charles  Johnsen
were absent, as I expected to see them.  I was drafted to  present a paper
from the last Rochester conference written by Phil and  Rick VanNorman on the
RTX4000.  Unfortunately there wasn't time on the  schedule for me to present
my own paper (on Files in Pygmy Forth).  Oh  well, with luck it will appear in
the published proceedings.
 .
     George Shaw discussed Sh-boom, Paul Frenger: neural nets, Paul  Snow:
Postscript and Fifth and Scheme, Len Morgenstern: OOP, John  Wavrik:
manipulation of polynomials, James Brakefield: Challenges for  Forth, Charles
Howerton: co-ordinating multiple 8051s, Alan Furman:  how Forth works.  That's
not all, but it's all that comes to mind at  the moment.  In addition there
were extensive discussions of almost  everything.
 .
     After the conference I toured the Alamo, which was a block or two  from
the hotel.
 .
 -- Frank
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) (03/15/91)

> Category 5,  Topic 3
> Message 20        Mon Mar 11, 1991
> F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 02:14 CST
>
>      I just returned from the sigForth conference in San Antonio.  The
> weather and food were great!

>      I was disappointed that Dan Miller and Phl Koopman and Charles  Johnsen
> were absent, as I expected to see them.  I was drafted to  present a paper
> from the last Rochester conference written by Phil and  Rick VanNorman on the
> RTX4000.

Frank -- thanks for presenting the paper.  I'm sorry I couldn't
make it.  I'm in the middle of a difficult transition and had
to cancel at the last minute (my apologies to all who expected
to see me there).  I had to take a trip to Hartford at the
same time as the conference.

The GOOD NEWS is that I finally have a job after Harris canned
the RTX team.  I'll be working for United Technologies Research
Center in Hartford CT doing embedded control system R&D.  United
Technologies owns Otis Elevator, Carrier Air Conditioning,
Pratt & Whitney jet engines, Norden Sonar & Radar, et al.
I don't know how much or if I'll be using Forth.  I do expect
to maintain access to comp.lang.forth after a transitional
disruption.

  Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Internet
  2525A Wexford Run Rd.       (412) 935-6697
  Wexford, PA  15090
*** space no longer for rent starting March 25 ***

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (03/15/91)

In article <12353@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, koopman@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Philip Koopman) writes:
> > Category 5,  Topic 3
> > Message 20        Mon Mar 11, 1991
> > F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 02:14 CST
> >
> >      I just returned from the sigForth conference in San Antonio.  The
> > weather and food were great!
>
> >      I was disappointed that Dan Miller and Phl Koopman and Charles  Johnsen
> > were absent, as I expected to see them.  I was drafted to  present a paper
> > from the last Rochester conference written by Phil and  Rick VanNorman on the
> > RTX4000.
>
> Frank -- thanks for presenting the paper.  I'm sorry I couldn't
> make it.  I'm in the middle of a difficult transition and had
> to cancel at the last minute (my apologies to all who expected
> to see me there).  I had to take a trip to Hartford at the
> same time as the conference.
>
> The GOOD NEWS is that I finally have a job after Harris canned
> the RTX team.  I'll be working for United Technologies Research
> Center in Hartford CT doing embedded control system R&D.  United
> Technologies owns Otis Elevator, Carrier Air Conditioning,
> Pratt & Whitney jet engines, Norden Sonar & Radar, et al.
> I don't know how much or if I'll be using Forth.  I do expect
> to maintain access to comp.lang.forth after a transitional
> disruption.
>
>   Phil Koopman                koopman@greyhound.ece.cmu.edu   Internet
>   2525A Wexford Run Rd.       (412) 935-6697
>   Wexford, PA  15090
> *** space no longer for rent starting March 25 ***

Hi Phil,
	Glad to hear you are not suffering a personal recession
( at least as defined by the gvmt! ).
	My question: Is U.T. still associated with Mostek?
Then by association would you have access to Zilog uprocessors?
My direction is potential use of Super Z8 parts. As you undoubtedly
know it is a neat FORTH engine. I estimate it to be onetenth
the power of the RTX2000 at one onehundreth the price. I can
take correction on this, tho.

I have a PD FORTH for this part almost debugged and will begin
on a "pro" version soon. The first five SBC's that is the target will
be available soon, too. Thought I'd share this with you
in hopes you can keep FORTH in your professional life.

Best Wishes, Clyde

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/24/91)

Category 5,  Topic 3
Message 23        Sat Jun 22, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 15:39 CDT

     I just received the latest SIGForth newsletter (vol 2, #4).  Again it  is
well done thanks to editor Paul Frenger.  His Real World I/O essay may  be
worth joining SIGForth for, if you aren't a member yet.  Among other  things,
he explains (and proves) the true cause of Texas having worse  schools than
Minnesota.
     In the same issue, I _think_ George Shaw was saying that Brad R. is
inappropriately angry and that I used to be inappropriately angry, but,  blind
with fury that I am I am unable to read it clearly.  You read it and  see what
you think.  Actually I'm not angry, although sometimes I let petit  matters
annoy me a little.
     Other articles covered everything from a single instruction computer  to
Postscript to a review of an 8051 Forth book.  All in all I was very  pleased
with this issue, and I'm sure the presence of a short piece I wrote  doesn't
color my judgement.
  -- Frank
-----