[comp.lang.forth] forth eng./68hc11 new micros

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/14/90)

 Date: 02-13-90 (00:31)              Number: 2896 (Echo)
   To: GREG FRESHWATER               Refer#: 2891
 From: JERRY SHIFRIN                   Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH FOR 68HC11              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 GF>Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a forth language for the
 GF>Motorola 68HC11 micro-processor.

 LMI has a Forth metacompiler target available for the 68HC11. The
 only other one I know of is MAX-Forth which comes with the New
 Micros 68HC11 single board computer.
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.10 #214s
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/16/90)

 Date: 02-13-90 (14:12)              Number: 2905 (Echo)
   To: JERRY SHIFRIN                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK WOEHR                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH FOR 68HC11              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

        Jerry, there's a fab polyFORTH metacompiler for 68HC11.
 Only drawback is same as mentioned in your earlier posting:

        $ $$$$.CC

                =jax=

 NET/Mail : RCFB Golden, CO (303) 278-0364 VESTA & Denver FIG for Forth!
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/23/90)

 Date: 02-21-90 (17:23)              Number: 391 (Echo)
   To: JACK BROWN                    Refer#: NONE
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: F68HC11                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Jack - just saw an old message from you , when you just got New Micros
 board. I started using the board 2 years ago, and have got somewhat
 familiar with. I am trying to get together some stuff on a disc and send
 it to Jerry, up to him whether to post it. Much of the disc will be from
 Ben Franklin Systems, : Bill Stewart, who got me started into machine
 coding. He has several tools in PD; also a commercial package. His PD
 disc will be sent to one of the networks i understand.
 I think you are in Canada? or I'd give you my 800 number to call.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/02/90)

 Date: 02-28-90 (13:14)              Number: 393 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FRANK'S 68HC11 FORTH ASM      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Frank,  thought you might be interested in the changes that
 I had to make to get your 68HC11 assembler running on the
 F68HC11 from New Micros.  I will copy the appropriate sections
 from the new file.  I have not yet fully checked out that all
 works as it should, when I have done so I will upload the changed
 file.

 ( Modified to run on New Micros NMIX-0021 F68HC11 Board by   )
 ( Jack W. Brown                                              )
 (  ***  Forth assembler for Motorola 68HC11 chip  ***        )
 ( copyright 1989 Frank C. Sergeant                           )

 ( JWB 25 02 90 Changed PUSH and POP to >R and R>                   )
 ( JWB 26 02 90 Fixed Bug in definition of OP3, W, replaced with C, )
 ( JWB 26 02 90 Added POP: POPTWO: PUSHD:  and NEXT:  entry points  )
 ( JWB 26 02 90 Modified  CODE and END-CODE for F68HC11             )
 ( JWB 26 02 90 Added NEXT macro. Changed FLIP to use MaxForth ><   )
 ( JWB 27 02 90 Changed PL, to 0>=,  its a better name.             )
 ( JWB 27 02 90 Fixed problem with OP4 opcodes... Data fields       )
 (              were reversed and base opcodes incorrect.           )
 ( JWB 28 02 90 Changed A, and B, to AA, and AB, in LD ST and OR    )
 (              instructions, the standard Motorola syntax.         )

 ( was screen # 2     C:6811ASM.SCR  )
 HEX  ( save this for any assembler variables, etc )
 ASSEMBLER DEFINITIONS     ( Added for Max Forth )
 : FLIP  ( hhll -- llhh )  ><  ;
  ( -1 ) 0 CONSTANT INTEL    ( change to zero for Motorola )

 ( was screen # 6     C:6811ASM.SCR  )
 ( 2 operand opcodes, one of which is reg A or reg B )
 ( * changed to Motorola syntax )
 86 OP2 LDAA,  *  C6 OP2 LDAB, *  8A OP2 ORAA, *  CA OP2 ORAB, *
 87 OP2 STAA,  *   C7 OP2 STAB,  *

 ( was screen # 7     C:6811ASM.SCR  )
 ( 2 operand opcodes, one of which is a 16-bit reg )
 HEX
 : OP3 ( c -)  ( u | c  -)  <BUILDS C,               ( JWB 26 02 90 )
    DOES> yindexed? IF 18 C, THEN     C@ mode @ + C, ( W, *******   )
         ext? imm? OR IF W, ELSE C, THEN ext ;

 ( was screen # 11     C:6811ASM.SCR  )
 HEX
 ( The weird ones.  The "normal" ones could have been)
 ( combined with these.)
 : OP4 ( y-pre-byte x-pre-byte normal-pre-byte opcode -)
    ( y-pre x-pre norm-pre  opcode)
    ( Data fields below were reversed and base opcodes were wrong )
 (  OP    ,Y      ,X       -            )
    83    CD      1A      1A     OP4 CPD,
    8C    CD       0       0     OP4 CPX,
    8C    18      1A       18    OP4 CPY,
    CE    CD       0       0     OP4 LDX,
    CE    18      1A       18    OP4 LDY,
    CF    CD       0        O    OP4 STX,
    CF    18      1A       18    OP4 STY,

 22 cc U>,       23 cc U<=,       ( you might want to consider)
 2A cc 0>=,      2B cc 0<,        ( renaming some of these    )
 20 cc ALWAYS,   21 cc NEVER,     ( conditions                )
 28 cc -OV,      29 cc OV,        ( Frank  PL,  now  0>=,     )

 ( How to get some important entry points for terminating  )
 ( CODE definitions in MAX Forth V 3.3                     )
 ' DROP  @ 2- @ 5 + @ CONSTANT NEXT:
 ' 2DROP @ 2- @       CONSTANT POPTWO:
 ' DROP  @ 2- @       CONSTANT POP:
 ' DUP   @ 2- @ 4 + @ CONSTANT PUSHD:

 ( Typical code definition sequence will be ....           )
 ( CODE  <name>   ... op codes ...   NEXT  END-CODE        )
 : NEXT  NEXT:  JMP, ;

 VARIABLE SCONTEXT  ( Place to save CONTEXT vocabulary. )
 FORTH DEFINITIONS
 ( CODE and END-CODE modified for F68HC11 Max Forth V3.3 )
 : CODE ( -)
              CREATE  HERE DUP 2- !
              CONTEXT @  [ ASSEMBLER ] SCONTEXT ! ext
              [COMPILE] ASSEMBLER   ;
 ASSEMBLER DEFINITIONS
 : END-CODE  ( - )
             SCONTEXT @ CONTEXT !  ;
 FORTH DEFINITIONS DECIMAL

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----

 Date: 02-28-90 (13:18)              Number: 394 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: 68HC11 ENTRY POINTS           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Here are the important entry points in New Micros
 MAX-Forth V3.3  These were found by doing a little
 hacking and then assembled using AS11  for the reference
 of others using the V3.3 roms.  You can find out these
 entry pointes by ticking  '  certain words and fetching
 the appropritate field.  See the previous message for how
 to locate these for any version of max-Forth.

 0001 0000                     ORG 0
 0002 0000                    W  RMB 2
 0003 0002                    IP RMB 2
 0004 0004                    UP RMB 2
 0005
 0006
 0007 fc93                     ORG $FC93
 0008
 0009 fc93 18 08              POPTWO: INY
 0010 fc95 18 08                      INY
 0011 fc97 18 08              POP:    INY
 0012 fc99 18 08                      INY
 0013 fc9b 7e fe 4a                   JMP NEXT
 0014
 0015 fc9e de 02              BUMP:   LDX IP
 0016 fca0 08                         INX
 0017 fca1 08                         INX
 0018 fca2 7e fe 4c                   JMP NEXT3
 0019
 0020 fca5 18 ed 02           BINARY: STD 2,Y
 0021 fca8 7e fc 97                   JMP POP
 0022
 0023 fe43                     ORG $FE43
 0024 fe43 18 09              PUSHD:  DEY
 0025 fe45 18 09                      DEY
 0026 fe47 18 ed 00           NEXTSD: STD 0,Y
 0027
 0028 fe4a de 02              NEXT:   LDX IP
 0029
 0030 fe4c 08                 NEXT3:  INX
 0031 fe4d 08                         INX
 0032 fe4e df 02                      STX IP
 0033 fe50 ee 00              NEXT1:  LDX 0,X
 0034 fe52 df 00              NEXT2:  STX W
 0035 fe54 ee 00                      LDX 0,X
 0036 fe56 6e 00                      JMP 0,X
 0037
 0038                          END

 Date: 02-28-90 (13:20)              Number: 395 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: PROBLEM 1A  MEM CLEAR         Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( 68hc11 Assembly Language Programming Course                     )

 ( Problem 1a )
 ( Write a 68HC11 assembly language program which will fill memory )
 ( locations from $C100 to $C1FF with 00                           )

 ( Solution 1a )
 ( Since we have no memory at $C000 we will use memory at $2000    )
 ( instead. )

 HEX
 2100 CONSTANT DATA      ( Start of memory to be filled with 0 )
 0100 CONSTANT DCOUNT    ( Number of memory bytes to be filled )
 ( High level Forth solution:                                      )
 ( : MCLEAR  ( -- )
 (          DATA DCOUNT    OVER + SWAP                             )
 (          DO  0 I C!  LOOP ;                                     )

 ( High level Forth solution using Forth primitive FILL            )
 (        FILL  ( adr n byte -- )
 (      : MCLEAR  DATA DCOUNT 0 FILL ;                             )

 ( Actually...  most Forth's have a primitive called ERASE  which  )
 ( takes the address, adr, and count, n, on the stack.             )
 (        ERASE  ( adr n -- )
 (      : MCLEAR  DATA DCOUNT  ERASE  ;                            )

 ( Typical assembly language solution using Forth Assembler        )
 CODE MCLEAR ( -- )
                XGDY,    ( Save parameter stack pointer. )
      DATA   #, LDX,     ( Load start address            )
      DCOUNT #, LDY,     ( Set count to clear in Y       )

 BEGIN,
         0  ,X CLR,      ( Clear one byte                )
               INX,      ( Increment address             )
               DEY,      ( Decrement count               )
               0=,       ( Repeat until finished         )
 UNTIL,

               XGDY,     ( Restore parameter stack ptr   )
               NEXT      ( Jump to address interpreter   )
 END-CODE

 ( Forth CODE definition for ERASE )
 ( ****** WARNING WARNING *****    )
 ( When uploading to Max Forth using the line feed as the pace )
 ( character the linefeed from a compiler warning or error may )
 ( trigger the premature sending of the next line.  The blank  )
 ( lines following ERASE are to allow the upload to get back   )
 ( in sync after the compiler warning:                         )
 ( ERA__ NOT UNIQUE  produced by creating the header for ERASE )
 CODE ERASE ( adr n -- )

         0   ,Y LDD,     ( Fetch n from stack into D register )
         2   ,Y LDX,     ( Fetch adr from stack to X register )
                XGDY,    ( Swap parameter stack pointer for  n )
 BEGIN,
         0  ,X CLR,      ( Clear one byte                )
               INX,      ( Increment address             )
               DEY,      ( Decrement count               )
               0=,       ( Repeat until finished         )
 UNTIL,

               XGDY,     ( Restore parameter stack ptr   )
      POPTWO:  JMP,      ( Pop adr and n from stack and  )

 Date: 02-28-90 (13:24)              Number: 396 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: PROBLEM 1B MEM MOVE           Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( 68hc11 Assembly Language Programming Course                     )

 ( Problem 1b )
 ( Write a 68HC11 assembly language program which will move ten    )
 ( bytes of data stored at memory locations $0010 -$0019 to        )
 ( locations $C101 - $C10A                                         )

 ( Solution 2a )
 ( Since we have no memory at $C000 we will use memory at $2000    )
 ( instead. Also the EVB board has free memory from $0000 - $0035  )
 ( where as the Max Forth board does not, it has some free direct  )
 ( page ram starting at $0083 so we will modify the question to:   )

 ( Move ten bytes of data stored at memory locations $0090 - $0099 )
 ( to locations $2101 - $210A                                      )

 HEX
 0090 CONSTANT SOURCE
 2101 CONSTANT DEST_START
 210A CONSTANT DEST_END

 ( High level Forth Solution:                                     )
 ( : DMOVE ( -- )
 (         DEST_END DEST_START - 1+ 0
 (         DO  SOURCE I + C@  DEST_START I + C! LOOP ;            )

 ( High level Forth solution using Forth primitive CMOVE          )
 (        CMOVE ( adr1 adr2 u -- )
 ( Moves u bytes from adr1 to adr2 starting at low memory         )
 (    : DMOVE ( -- )
 (            SOURCE  DEST_START  DEST_END                        )
 (            OVER - 1+  CMOVE  ;                                 )

 ( Typical assembly language solution to the problem of           )
 ( moving ten bytes from direct page to extended memory           )
 CODE DMOVE ( -- )
                PSHY,    ( Save parameter stack pointer           )
    DEST_END #, LDX,     ( We will move from high mem to low mem  )
    DEST_END DEST_START  ( Compute byte count to move  on the fly )
    - 1+     #, LDY,     ( and load into Y register               )

 BEGIN,                  ( Y counts A 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0         )
    SOURCE 1- ,Y LDAA,   ( we need 1- since loop exits on Y = 0   )
           0  ,X STAA,   ( Fetch and store one byte               )
                 DEX,    ( Decrement destination address          )
                 DEY,    ( Decrement byte counter                 )
                 0=,     ( Leave loop on 0 count                  )
 UNTIL,

                 PULY,   ( Restore parameter stack pointer        )
                 NEXT    ( Jump to inner interpreter.             )
 END-CODE

 ( Follow up exercise for Forth assemblers...          )
 ( Write 68HC11 CODE definitons for CMOVE and CMOVE>   )

 ( Look at my definition of ERASE for some hints on how)
 ( to fetch the adr1 adr2 and u arguments from the     )
 ( parameter stack.                                    )

 Date: 02-28-90 (13:27)              Number: 397 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: HEX ASCII DUMP FOR MAX        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( Hex Ascii memory dump utility. )
 DECIMAL
 : -ROT   ROT ROT ;

 ( Leave true flag if a <= x <= b )
 : [IN] ( x a b -- flag )
         1+ -ROT 1- OVER < -ROT > AND ;

 ( EMIT n as printable ascii or a space )
 : .ASCII ( n -- )
         127 AND DUP BL 126 [IN] NOT
         IF DROP BL THEN EMIT ;

 ( Double space if i is  equal to 8 )
 : ?SPACE ( i -- )
         8 = IF SPACE SPACE THEN ;

 ( Print byte right justified in field w wide. )
 : .RBYTE ( n w -- )
         >R 0 <# # # #> R> OVER - SPACES TYPE ;

 ( Based on address adr , display heading for VERIFY )
 : HEAD ( addr -- )
         CR 5 SPACES 16 0
         DO I OVER + 255 AND
            I ?SPACE 3 .RBYTE
         LOOP
         2 SPACES 16 0
         DO I OVER + 15 AND
            1 .R
         LOOP DROP ;

 ( Verify 16 bytes from address )
 : 1LINE ( adr -- )
         DUP CR 4 U.R SPACE DUP ( display address )
         16 0 DO I ?SPACE COUNT 3 .RBYTE  ( display bytes in hex )
              LOOP DROP 2 SPACES
         16 0 DO COUNT .ASCII
              LOOP DROP SPACE ;

 ( VERIFY only 32 bytes from addr with header. )
 : VERIFY ( adr -- )
         BASE @ SWAP HEX DUP HEAD
         DUP 1LINE DUP 16 +
         1LINE HEAD CR BASE ! ;

 ( Peek at word )
 : PEEK ( -- )
         [COMPILE] '  DUP
         NFA   VERIFY
         CFA   VERIFY  ;

 ( Dump out n bytes of memory starting at adr )
 : DUMP

         ( adr n -- )
         BASE @ >R  HEX
         OVER HEAD              ( a n )
         OVER + OVER            ( a n+a a )
         DO I 1LINE 16 +LOOP
         HEAD  R> BASE !  CR ;

 (  PEEK <name>     dumps header and pfa fields of <name> )

 Date: 03-01-90 (00:48)              Number: 404 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH SOLUTION TO 1C          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( 68hc11 Assembly Language Programming Course                     )

 ( Problem 1c )
 ( Write a 68HC11 assembly language program which will find the    )
 ( largest of 10 numbers stored in contiguous memory locations     )
 ( starting at location $0020. The numbers are single byte         )
 ( unsigned integers.  Save the largest number in memory at        )
 ( location $002A.                                                 )

 ( Solution 1c )
 ( Since we have no free memory at $0020 we will use memory at $90 )
 ( and location $9A for the largest number.                        )

 ( Find the maximum of 10 bytes located at $90,  max at $9A        )

 HEX
 0090 CONSTANT DATA  ( Location of byte array of data )
 009A CONSTANT MAXI   ( Location to save maximum value )
 000A CONSTANT N     ( Size of byte array             )

  DATA N 22 FILL      ( Some test data )
   88  DATA 5 + C!    ( 88 should end up at 9A )
    0  MAXI C!

 ( High Level Forth Solution :                                     )
 ( : MAXIMUM  ( -- )
 (       0 10 0 DO  DATA I + C@ 2DUP  <                            )
 (                  IF   SWAP THEN DROP                            )
 (            LOOP  MAXI C! ;                                      )

 ( Typical assembly language solution to the maximum problem       )
 CODE MAXIMUM  ( -- )
                 CLRA,  ( set maximum to zero )
         N    #, LDX,   ( set byte array size in X )

 BEGIN,
         DATA ,X CMPA,  ( max - data )
                 U<,
 IF,
         DATA ,X LDAA,  ( Save current as maximum )
 THEN,
                 DEX,   ( Point to next item in byte array )
                 0=,    ( Continue until all have been checked )
 UNTIL,

        MAXI DIR STAA,  ( store maximum value )
                 NEXT
 END-CODE

 ( Extra Problem for the Forth Assemblers! )
 ( Write a code definition and a high level definitions for the word )
 ( MAX_BYTE that takes the address of a byte array and the byte count)
 ( on the stack and leaves the maximum value in the byte array on the)
 ( stack.        MAX_BYTE  ( adr n -- max )
 ( Make sure that it works for both direct and extended page byte     )
 ( arrays. )

 Date: 03-01-90 (00:51)              Number: 405 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH SOLUTION TO 1D          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( 68hc11 Assembly Language Programming Course                     )

 ( Problem 1d )
 ( Write a 68HC11 assembly language program which will calculate   )
 ( the average of four data values stored in locations $00 - $03   )
 ( and store the result in location $04                            )

 ( We will perform the exercise at $90 - $93 and put result at $94 )

 HEX
 0090 CONSTANT DATA    ( Data array of four values to average )
 0004 CONSTANT N       ( Count of data values to average      )
 0094 CONSTANT RESULT  ( Average of four numbers )

 ( High level Forth Solution : )
 ( : AVERAGE ( -- )
 (        0 N 0 DO DATA I + C@ + LOOP N / RESULT C! ;         )

 ( Typical assembly language solution )

 CODE AVERAGE ( -- )
         N    #, LDX,     ( Load byte array size         )
                 CLRA,    ( Clear D to hold current byte )
                 CLRB,

 BEGIN,

     DATA 1-  ,X ADDB,    ( Accumulate total             )
          0   #, ADCA,    ( Sum = Sum + current byte     )
                 DEX,     ( Decrement byte counter       )
                 0=,      ( Continue until done          )
 UNTIL,
         N    #, LDX,
                 IDIV,    ( Compute average              )
                 XGDX,
    RESULT DIR   STAB,    ( Save computed average        )
                 NEXT
 END-CODE

 ( Extra problem for Forth assemblers:  Write both a code definition )
 ( and a high level Forth definition for a word called BYTE_AVG that )
 ( takes as stack input parameters the address of a byte array and   )
 ( the byte array size and leaves as a stack output the average of   )
 ( the byte array:     BYTE_AVG  ( adr n -- average )

 Date: 03-01-90 (00:53)              Number: 406 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: (N/A)
 Subj: FORTH SOLUTION TO 1E          Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 ( 68hc11 Assembly Language Programming Course                     )

 ( Problem 1e )
 ( Write a 68HC11 assembly language program which will do this:    )
 ( If bit 5 of ;memory location $0020 is set, 1, then clear memory )
 ( location $0010.  If bit 5 is clear then set it.  Note: do not   )
 ( disturb the state of any of the other bits in the byte.         )

 ( Solution 1e )
 ( We use memory locations $00A0 and $0090 instead of $20 and $10  )
 HEX
 00A0 CONSTANT BFLAGS
 0090 CONSTANT DATA

 ( Check bit 5 and take appropriate action.  This is a bitch for   )
 ( the Forth assembler as we need to fake a forward reference and  )
 ( make sure that it is properly resolved.                         )
 CODE BITCH  ( -- )
                   HERE        ( dummy address for BRCLR, )
  BFLAGS  0020     BRCLR,      ( branch if bit 5 clear    )
 ( IF, )  HERE 1-              ( back address for ELSE,   )
          DATA     CLR,
 ELSE,
  BFLAGS  0020     BSET,
 THEN,
                   NEXT
 END-CODE

 Date: 03-01-90 (00:56)              Number: 407 (Echo)
   To: FRANK SARGENT                 Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: BUGS IN 6811ASM               Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I'm still finding bugs in the assembler.

 The  ELSE,    of   IF, .... ELSE,  ....  THEN,,

 was not compiling the correct branch offset for the branch compiled
 by IF,    It was low by a count of 2.

 The definition of ELSE,  must be changed to:

 : ELSE, ( back-adr - here )
         HERE OVER 1- - SWAP C!   ( You cannot use THEN,  )
         ALWAYS, C, HERE 0 C, ;   ( as offset generated is low by 2 )

 I think there was another bug too.... but I forget where.

 It's 1:00 now and I'm going to bed.

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/03/90)

 Date: 03-01-90 (12:45)              Number: 1613 (Echo)
   To: BILL BORGEN                   Refer#: NONE
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH FOR 68HC11              Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >IS BEING CONTROLLED BY A MOTOROLA 68HC11EVB, A CHEAP, BUT VERY USEFUL
 >BOARD. I'D LIKE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH SOME ONE TO HELP ME BUILD A KERNEL
 >FOR THE 68HC11, SO THAT I CAN RUN FORTH ON THE 68HC11EVB. CAN YOU REFER
 >ME TO SOME ONE? THANKS FOR YOU TIME........BILL BORGEN

 You can buy the Max-Forth ROM from New Micros Inc and plug it right
 into your EVB board.  Call them at 214-339-2204 for more information.

 Several of us in our BC Fig chapter have purchased the New Micros
 NMIX-0022  F68HCll  development board which has Max-Forth in the on
 Chip ROM.   Cost for the NMIX-0022 is about $265 US which is about the
 same as the EVB ( Educational group purchase price for EVB are as low
 as $ 68 US per board ).

 Apparently you can also do a direct replacement of the 68HC11 on the
 EVB board with the New Micros F68HC11 version.  Cost of the replacement
 F68HC11 is about $37.

 Several people have developed their own Forth for the HC11 but they tend
 to keep the somewhat proprietory.  To my knowledge there are no
 PD/Shareware versions available although  Frank Sargent indicated he
 plans to Port PYGMY Forth to the 68HC11.   I have been working with
 Franks 68HC11 assembler which he wrote for PYGMY Forth which runs on
 the PC.   If you want to see what we're up to with the HC11 join the
 4TH-HDW conference.

 NET/Mail : British Columbia Forth Board - Burnaby BC - (604)434-5886
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: 'uunet!willett!dwp' or 'willett!dwp@gateway.sei.cmu.edu'

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/06/90)

Category 6,  Topic 30
Message 45        Sun Mar 04, 1990
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 21:52 CST

 To Jack Brown re 6811 assembler

 Thanks for letting me know how you're doing with the assembler.  I'd  been
wondering.  I've tried to send you e-mail (to J.BROWN11) several  times, but I
guess they didn't get to you.

 Of course you should customize it to suit your preferences.  My  feeling is
that STA, STB, ORA, ORB, etc. are far superior to STAA,  STAB, ORAA, ORAB,
etc.  I've used the former for all my Motorola work  for years. Especially in
a Forth assembler, and especially for a New  Micro's board, the assembler is
used for one of a kind, hand-crafted  code where the high-level Forth won't
do.  I can't see there should be  much concern for conforming to Motorola's
"standard" mnemonics.  In  fact, Motorola didn't even conform to them when
going to the 6809,  which uses the more compact versions.  I accept, however,
that you do  see that there should be such a concern.  With or without those
changes, our Forth assembler code still won't load directly into a  "standard"
Motorola assembler due to the ending commas on our mnemonics  and due to post-
fix, and due to the looping & conditional structures.

 I still haven't wired up my 68HC11 chip, so I'm not surprised to hear  there
were some bugs.  I'm glad you were able to get it running.  As  always, if you
or anyone find bugs and let me know the code it does  assemble vs the code it
should assemble I'll do my best to fix it and  post the corrections.

 -- Frank
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/25/90)

 Date: 07-23-90 (10:43)              Number: 668 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Can anyone answer a few questions about the 68HC11?
    1. What are the power requirements (current required)?
    2. Where can one get them in small qty, and for how much?
    3. What is your general feeling about working with it (Good, Bad,
       average, ...)
 I am looking for a really low power CMOS micro-controller, and the
 68HC11 was suggested to me...If you have any opinions on this chip, or
 if you can suggest another, I would really appreciate it.  The lower the
 power requirements, the better.  THANKS!
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or willett!dwp@hobbes.cert.sei.cmu.edu

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/28/90)

 Date: 07-24-90 (21:12)              Number: 670 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 668
 From: JOHN SOMERVILLE                 Read: 07-25-90 (09:30)
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 New Micros Development Board with Max Forth was a snap. Assembler seemed
 much more difficult, (for me anyway). Talk to Jack Brown sysop on this
 board for some high-class info.

 regards j

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/29/90)

 Date: 07-27-90 (12:52)              Number: 679 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 668
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 David:  I am reasonably happy with the 68hc11, but I use New Micros
 version with Forth onboard in ROM, the F68hc11.  Their single qty chip
 price is 37.50 - I dont know whether you are a Forth user or not.
 ( If you are I would assume you would prefer this). The plain chip must
 be less. Power is supposed to be around 20 ma. I get a complete 4x4 inch
 board from New Micros, with sockets for memory, the PRU 6824 chip, RS232
 connection, and all ports available. My interface board has 2 encoder
 interface chips, dual D/A, output isolation SSR's, and feeds the 2
 rotary encoders - relative power hogs - all for about 85 ma for the
 complete control.  The board from NMI is about 120 without 5 V supply.
-----

 Date: 07-27-90 (12:59)              Number: 680 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 668
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 To add to the above - the board itself has been my development system,
 they go as is into the machine. Only replace battery ram for development
 with Eprom with final program.
 Only complaint was divide routines were too slow; got help initially and
 rewrote many math routines in machine code.
-----

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/31/90)

 Date: 07-28-90 (13:42)              Number: 683 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 679
 From: JOHN SOMERVILLE                 Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 What have you used your board for? I am still trying to come up with a
 good project. I like the board a lot, but I should get out of the
 tinkering stage. A few fellows here (Vancouver) got the New Micros
 board, but I think they are getting lured away by RTX whizz-bang.

 I'd like to hear your ideas.

 regards j

ForthNet@willett.UUCP (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/01/90)

 Date: 07-30-90 (10:07)              Number: 684 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 680
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: NO
 Subj: THANKS                        Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Anil,
    Thanks for the information...I just bought the book HC11, a great
 deal:  $17 and it includes a 68HC11 assembler and other stuff on disk!.
 Anyway, I have been building small voice based projects some for fun,
 some for some handicapped folks.  My computers thus far have been
 running on 80C188 systems, but I am looking for a cheaper and easier
 alternative for simple devices and for peripheral control (motor control
 circuits, etc).
    I will look into the F68 version as I do program in Forth
 (sometimes), and I'll also check out the pricing on the single quantity
 non-Forth version and post it.  Again, thanks for the help.
-----

 Date: 07-30-90 (10:13)              Number: 685 (Echo)
   To: JODY WEBER                    Refer#: 681
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Jody,
    Well, I am not sure I can give you a direct answer.  I have been
 building some voice based low-power computers based on the 80C188 for
 fun and for some handicapped folks.  Previously, I had no interest in
 embedded control applications.  I am now looking for a good, very low
 power MCU that I can take the time to learn well, and will suffice for
 most control apps including motor control, alarm applications, etc.  I
 suspect for high powered processing, I will still use the C188 or maybe
 the 80376 (I am giving that a try now).  Since I know 808x assembler
 rather well, it is just easiest.
    My requirements are that it be in-expensive enough to embed as many
 and as often as needed, and also that it be VERY low power (the lower
 the better).  Naturally, it must also have a decent array of on board
 features and a reasonable instruction set.  (I suppose I want what every
 other designer wants).
    If you have a personal favorite embedded MCU, or any suggestions, I
 would appreciate hearing about them.  Thanks for your help!
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/14/90)

 Date: 08-07-90 (16:24)              Number: 689 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: NONE
 From: JODY WEBER                      Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11?                       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 There are many highly integrated versions of the venerable Z80
 processor.  Some have enhanced commands, as well.  For a cost vs.
 performance issue, I can highly recommend this architecture. (The
 Hitachi 64180 is a good example.)

 NET/Mail : Science Factor BBS - Science/Ed/Technical ->206-562-7083
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: uunet!willett!dwp or dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (08/15/90)

 Date: 08-10-90 (00:14)              Number: 691
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 673
 From: GREG FRESHWATER                 Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11 FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 David,
  I'm sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I have trouble getting
 onto this bbs, but to answer your queries:
 1) how much RAM?
  The Amount depends on the application but it uses most of zero page,
 & needs about 256 bytes above & beyond that!
 The KERNEL is 3K $F400 -> $FFFF
 The Development rom is currently just over 8K Assembled to anywhere
 you like on an 8K boundry
 So you would need a 16K EPROM

 2) HARDWARE NEEDED?
 I have currently got it set up as 32K RAM $000 -> $7FFF, and 16K
 EPROM @ $C000 -> $FFFF
 I have also used other Configurations allowing to compile into ram @
 $C000 - $EFFF so as I can ROM the code
 3) Mass storage?
  It does not as yet support any form of MASS STORAGE, But I am toying
 with the idea of setting up a RAMDISK setup using BANK SWITCHED ram
 which I am supporting in the code.
 4) Cost??$$
  I think that around $250 AUST. will be the going price.
 ?) I am currently developing HARDWARE which will support the forth to
 the fullest & am currently using a HACKED board which I designed about
 12 months  ago!

 Hope to be selling a development system, both S/Ware & H/Ware in the
 near future for about $600 AUS. roughly!

 If you are aquainted with the 65F12 you will have a little more of an
 idea of what this system is like!

 HOPE IT HELPS & CULATER :-) ..GregF..
 ---
  * Via ProDoor 3.0

 NET/Mail : Australian Connection Forth Board (Melbourne) 61 3 8091787
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/20/90)

 Date: 09-17-90 (12:51)              Number: 731 (Echo)
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: WANTED: 68HC11                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 I just bought the Motorola book on the 68HC11, and I am looking forward
 to building a small test board.  Unfortunately, none of my standard
 suppliers seem to carry the HC11...can anyone tell me where to get them
 (in small quantities) and how much they should cost?  Thanks!
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (09/22/90)

 Date: 09-18-90 (10:53)              Number: 734 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 731
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: WANTED: 68HC11                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 DA>I just bought the Motorola book on the 68HC11, and I am looking forward
 DA>to building a small test board.  Unfortunately, none of my standard
 DA>suppliers seem to carry the HC11...can anyone tell me where to get them
 DA>(in small quantities) and how much they should cost?  Thanks!

 New micros makes a nice little board with the F68HC11 ( Forth in Rom )
 call them at 214-339-2204 and ask about the NMIX-0022 which is a complete
 system for $265US

 As a student taking a course on the 68HC11 I was able to buy the
 Motorola EVB board (68HC11) for $68.11 US... to this you can add
 the F68HC11 from New Micros which they list for $37.50.  That gives
 you a system for just over $100!
 ---
  * QDeLuxe 1.01 #260s  Are you a member of FIG? Why not join today!

Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/06/90)

 Date: 10-01-90 (17:30)              Number: 751 (Echo)
   To: DAVID ALBERT                  Refer#: 731
 From: ANIL RODRIX                   Read: 10-02-90 (18:22)
 Subj: WANTED: 68HC11                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 How much are you willing to spend ? New Micro's F68hc11 chip goes for
 $ 37.50 single unit, with 8K ROm for Maxforth.
 For a plain 68hc11 I wonder if you could scrounge a free sample from
 Mot.?
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett through a semi-automated process.
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us or uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (10/06/90)

 Jack - there's no need to
 Date: 10-02-90 (18:22)              Number: 753 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 751
 From: DAVID ALBERT                    Read: NO
 Subj: MICRO-CONTROLLER PRICING      Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 Hi Anil,
    Well, if all you ever wanted was a single 6811, I suppose 37.50 is a
 pretty good price.  I have seen New Micro's ads in C.C. Ink, and
 considered it before.  However, microcontrollers are usually used for
 low-cost, low-power applications, and $37.50 per unit can really eat
 into that...although it is not that high a price, it is enough that I
 will have to think about it before designing one into a new project
   I also have been completely unable to find the power consumption
 information on the 68HC11...I can't find it in Motorola's data sheets,
 or even in the 68HC11 reference manual.  My major application requires
 very low power (solar/battery), so I must find the Icc for this part
 before I even think about using it.  Any ideas?
   Thanks for the help!
-----

 Date: 10-02-90 (10:12)              Number: 755 (Echo)
   To: ANIL RODRIX                   Refer#: 752
 From: JACK BROWN                      Read: NO
 Subj: WANTED: 68HC11                Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE

 >Jack - there's no need to get the $ 256 board from New Micros; you can
 >get their target board, without rectifier and power supply, and if you
 >add the 7660 chip and mc14506 for RS-232 i think the board may be $90,
 >or if you ask them to add the rs232 it may be around 120.

 But you also do not get the Max-Forth User's Manual, the hardware
 manual, 8K of ram, the 68HC24 chip, and a host of other features!

 In the end you may not save very much especially if you are just
 starting out.  It might make more sense to get the $90 NMIT-0021
 after you have your first NMIX-022-PS.

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/27/91)

 Date: 02-23-91 (17:29)              Number: 1279 of 1301
   To: ALL                           Refer#: NONE
 From: RALPH HEMPEL                    Read: (N/A)
 Subj: 68HC11 FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 Hi all. I have been monitoring this group for some time and agree that
 Gary Smith deserves all the praise heaped upon him. How do you find the
 time to generate all that mail???

 I don't know if the following conforms to your posting policies, so yank
 or flame ONCE if it doesn't. :-)

 New Micros Inc. in Texas has a great deal on Single Board 68HC11 CPUs
 with FORTH in ROM. the 4x4" board with CPU and 32K RAM is only $67.00.
 A manual is probably not included and worth the money.

 Its a great little board and I have used it in a variety of projects
 including an InfraRed decoder for my HP 42S. The FORTH is 83 Standard
 and is OK.

 Call them at 214-339-2204 if interested.

 I mention this for all students out there who need cheap borads for lab
 projects.

 Cheers,  Ralph

 PCRelay:CRS -> RelayNet (tm)
 4.10a14        Canada Remote Systems * Toronto, Ontario
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (02/27/91)

Category 6,  Topic 30
Message 59        Mon Feb 25, 1991
GARY-S                       at 06:17 EST

Ralph -
  Thank you. I appreciate your 'atta-boy'.

  I agree with your assessment of NewMicros, also. One thing you didn't
mention is Randy's (prop. Randy Dumse) outstanding support for his customers.
If the product didn't recommend NMI, the support certainly should.
  Both are excellent.   Gary
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/04/91)

 Date: 02-25-91 (13:26)              Number: 1331 of 1333
   To: RALPH HEMPEL                  Refer#: 1279
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: 68HC11 FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 Hi - Ralph ; I use the MNI boards and have mentioned them here; some
 people feel that you need the $260 package to be able to start to use
 it. However if anyone wants to go the cheap route I and others I'm sure
 would be willing to give pointers and info for help.
 Also has been brought up that its not quite 83 standard, but the
 deviations dont bother me.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----

kube@cs.UAlberta.CA (Ron Kube) (03/05/91)

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) writes:

> Date: 02-25-91 (13:26)              Number: 1331 of 1333
>   To: RALPH HEMPEL                  Refer#: 1279
> From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
> Subj: 68HC11 FORTH                  Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
> Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

> Hi - Ralph ; I use the MNI boards and have mentioned them here; some
> people feel that you need the $260 package to be able to start to use
> it. However if anyone wants to go the cheap route I and others I'm sure
> would be willing to give pointers and info for help.
> Also has been brought up that its not quite 83 standard, but the
> deviations dont bother me.

> PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
> 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
> <<<>>>
>-----
>This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
>using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
>the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
>Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

I have been shopping for a SBC Forth system and have received literature from
Vesta, Saelig and New Micros.  The Vesta sales literature was the best and the
New Micros the worst, however, the New Micros product from what I have read
will serve me best. What I am looking for is a SBC Forth system complete with
Power Supply and RS232 with DB25 connector.  My intention is to connect a generic PC with a terminal emulation package to the Forth SBC.  My question is, will
NMI's NMIX-0022 PS package do the trick?
Thanks in advance.

Ron

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/08/91)

 Date: 03-04-91 (12:54)              Number: 1405 of 1406
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 1355
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH ENG./68HC11 NEW MIC     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 To : Dennis Greisser ( sp?) -
 RE NMI's 68hc11 board - your defs have the right idea; if you get this
 message call me day at 800-245-3186 xt 14; there may be too many simple
 points to wade thru to post. I have used machine code quite a bit and
 have many routines to speed up operation.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

swilliam@hpt01.even.ge.com (Steve Williams) (03/09/91)

(Posting due to news gateway to users.) (ANIL RODRIX)

Can you give me some pointers on the cheapest board or circuit design
for:

68hc11 (68HC811 preferrably) with 4-32k of cheap static ram,
d/a connection (sound speed)

This is for a possible project that will be mass produced and needs
to be low power, cheap, and easy to prototype.  I have also looked at
using ram FIFO's for my application.  I have not found any sample
board designs for just adding ram and I don't have time to figure
everything out yet.

I will also use Forth or assembly.

Thanks...
sdw
Stephen D. Williams     SDW Systems (513) 439-4904   GE AEG (513) 552-5237
ICBM: 39 34N 85 15W     Internet: swilliam@a101.even.ge.com
				  sdwsys!sdw@valhalla.cs.wright.edu

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (03/30/91)

 Date: 03-18-91 (12:40)              Number: 1535 of 1557
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: 1516
 From: ANIL RODRIX                     Read: NO
 Subj: FORTH ENG./68HC11 NEW MIC     Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 To : Bryan Newmann
 re 68hc11: I'm sure others will also reply to this;
 are you aware of New Micros ( 214-339-2204 ) and their 6811 products?
 There are some other tools available, what are you looking for ?
 Mosaic is another source for 6811 Forth boards, cost a bit more, for
 subroutine threaded which makes calls faster.

 PCRelay:PROPC -> #288 RelayNet (tm)
 4.10             Pittsburgh ProPC BBS (412) 321-6645
 <<<>>>
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/16/91)

Category 6,  Topic 30
Message 77        Sun Jun 16, 1991
D.RUFFER [Dennis]            at 01:18 EDT

Re: Gordon_Hooton@kcbbs.gen.nz (Gordon Hooton)

 > idea of cost and availability of compilers for the HC11

Forth, Inc. sells a version of its chipFORTH interactive target compiler for
the 68HC11 for >$3K and includes hardware.  Call (213) 372-8493 for more
details.

   {B-{)>   DaR
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/18/91)

Category 6,  Topic 30
Message 78        Sun Jun 16, 1991
F.SERGEANT [Frank]           at 23:18 CDT

     Gordon Hooton asked about the 68HC11 and Forths for it.

     Yes, the 'HC11's machine language is a superset of the 6801's _and_ of
the 6800's.  So, I figure a figForth for the 6800 should work on the 'HC11,
of course there would be some work involved.  Also, on GEnie and probably
other BBSs by now, there should be a several files by Jack Brown and myself
that have the source code for a Forth assembler for the 'HC11 that should  run
either on a PC or on an 'HC11 (producing 'HC11 code in either case, of
course).  Let us know what you get and what you do with it, please.  I may  be
near the verge of actually wiring up my 'HC11 chip and finding out just  how
hard or easy it is to convert Pygmy to run on the 'HC11.
  -- Frank
-----

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (06/26/91)

 Date: 06-19-91 (10:19)              Number: 234 of 239
   To: GARY SMITH                    Refer#: NONE
 From: GEORGE PERRY                    Read: NO
 Subj: F68HC11 FROM NEW MICROS       Status: PUBLIC MESSAGE
 Conf: FORTH (58)                 Read Type: GENERAL (+)

 New Micros, Inc.  1601 Chalk Hill Road, Dallas  TX 75212  214-339-2204.
 Computer Continuum offers a board (with memory, serial port, and lotsa'
 doc's and source-code) for $295 (ouch), or $220 (no doc's).
 75 Southgate, Daly City  CA 94015-1413  415-755-1978.
 ---
  ~ RNet 1.05U: MetroLink ~ The Continuum ~ (415) 755-1524 ~ (818) 441-2625

 PCRelay:DCINFO -> #16 MetroLink (tm) International Network
 4.10              DC Info Exchange MetroLink International Hub
 <<<>>>
 sn
-----
This message came from GEnie via willett.  You *cannot* reply to the author
using e-mail.  Please post a follow-up article, or use any instructions
the author may have included (USMail addresses, telephone #, etc.).
Report problems to: dwp@willett.pgh.pa.us _or_ uunet!willett!dwp

ForthNet@willett.pgh.pa.us (ForthNet articles from GEnie) (07/01/91)

Category 9,  Topic 10
Message 83        Sun Jun 30, 1991
B.RODRIGUEZ2 [Brad]          at 12:11 EDT

Hmmm.  As far as I know, the F68HC11 (a 68HC11 with Forth in ROM) is the
creation of New Micros, and so they are likely to be the exclusive source.  (I
have limited knowledge of how such affairs are handled, but I believe that
Motorola manufactures this part under contract to New Micros -- much like any
custom MPU -- and thus Motorola themselves have no license to sell this part.)

Your only other option is to buy a "vanilla" 68HC11 and put Forth in an
external ROM.  Last I heard (a few years ago), 68HC11s were selling for
something like $11 to $14.

- Brad
 Brad Rodriguez        | brad%candice@maccs.uucp      (God willing)
 B.RODRIGUEZ2 on GEnie | brad%candice@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca