[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk source code?

mike@bnr-vpa.UUCP (04/02/87)

Hi! I'd like to know if anyone can tell me how to get
(the supposed) source code to Arizona's Little Smalltalk.
I've been given to understand that for a small sum of money,
this program(s) will implement a Smalltalk virtual machine
and object-manager, and one must finish the rest (presumably
building on the Smalltalk-80 book plus other resources).

Thanks in advance,
(please reply direct, no need to clutter the net)

Mike Norman (bnr-vpa!mike)		Phone:	(613) 726-7717
Bell-Northern Research			Usenet: {utzoo, utgpu}!bnr-vpa!mike
P.O. Box 3511, Station C, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4H7

wyant@apollo.uucp (Geoffrey Wyant) (04/14/87)

Little Smalltalk is not Smalltalk-80.  Its syntax is
slightly different as are some of the semantics.  In
addition, the class hierarchy is an incompatible subset
of the Smalltalk-80 class hierarchy.  Little Smalltalk
is best thought of as a small object-oriented system usefull
for experimenting with oo-concepts, rather than as a base
from which to build a full Smalltalk-80 system.

Little Smalltalk can be gotten from Prof. Tim Budd at
University of Washington.  If you buy the book on Little
Smalltalk, it has ordering instructions.
--

Geoff Wyant   UUCP:  ...{yale,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!wyant

dhelaan@orstcs.UUCP (04/15/87)

Actually Little Smalltalk is very close to Smalltalk-80, except that
it has a textual interface which makes it VERY easy to learn and VERY
portable. I recommend it, after all if I want to learn Smalltalk why
bother with the complicated interface issues.

Prof. Tim Budd is here at Oregon State University his complete
address is

    Prof. Tim Budd
    Computer Science Dept.
    Oregon State University
    Corvallis, OR 97331

maier@ogcvax.UUCP (04/16/87)

Tim Budd is at Oregon State University, not University of Washington.
--
David Maier, Oregon Graduate Center <maier@ogcvax.OGC.EDU>
         ...tektronix!ogcvax!maier

budd@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (04/18/87)

/* Written  4:10 am  Apr 14, 1987 by wyant@apollo.uucp in orstcs:comp.lang.smal */
Little Smalltalk is not Smalltalk-80.  Its syntax is
slightly different as are some of the semantics.  In
addition, the class hierarchy is an incompatible subset
of the Smalltalk-80 class hierarchy.  Little Smalltalk
is best thought of as a small object-oriented system usefull
for experimenting with oo-concepts, rather than as a base
from which to build a full Smalltalk-80 system.

Little Smalltalk can be gotten from Prof. Tim Budd at
University of Washington.  If you buy the book on Little
Smalltalk, it has ordering instructions.
--

Geoff Wyant   UUCP:  ...{yale,uw-beaver,decvax!wanginst}!apollo!wyant
/* End of text from orstcs:comp.lang.smal */

Thanks Geoff.  I actually agree with almost everything you said; except
the last point.  I'm not at the University of Washington, I'm at
Oregon State University.  I can be reached via budd@oregon-state.csnet,
or budd@orstcs.uucp (we talk to hp-pcd and tektronix, among others).

To order Little Smalltalk, send a check for $30 made out to Oregon State
University, to
	Smalltalk Distribution
	Department of Computer Science
	Oregon State University
	Corvallis, Oregon 97331

(I apologize to anybody who thinks this looks too much like an
advertisement; but at that price you know we can't be making too much
money off it!)

johnson@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (04/18/87)

"Actually Little Smalltalk is very close to Smalltalk-80, except that
it has a textual interface which makes it VERY easy to learn and VERY
portable. I recommend it, after all if I want to learn Smalltalk why
bother with the complicated interface issues."

This seems to me a very strange comment.  The Smalltalk user interface
is very easy to use, much easier than almost any Unix program.  Text
based interfaces may be familiar to some of us, but it only takes a
couple of minutes to learn how to edit text and change a program in
Smalltalk-80.  The graphical interface certainly is hard to port, though.

Becoming a Smalltalk expert is hard because you have to learn how lots
of classes work, how to use them, how to subclass them, and so on.  Once
you have learned this, code reuse makes you extremely productive.  Little
Smalltalk is easier to learn because it has less code, but this makes it
also less useful.  If you want to learn the principles of object-oriented
programming, not build systems, Little Smalltalk is great.

dhelaan@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (04/20/87)

>"This seems to me a very strange comment.  The Smalltalk user interface
>is very easy to use, much easier than almost any Unix program.  Text
>based interfaces may be familiar to some of us, but it only takes a
>couple of minutes to learn how to edit text and change a program in
>Smalltalk-80.  The graphical interface certainly is hard to port, though."

I agree with all you said about the graphical interface (I am a Macintosh fan).

What I really meant when I wrote easy to learn is "it is easier to
access". Once you install it on your Unix you can access it from any
terminal, or even from your home (with a dial up). This feature makes
learning O.O.P. a lot easier.

xwu@bacall.UUCP (04/21/87)

On what machines can we run Little Smalltalk?  $30 or $25?  And where to
get the book?

Xinhua Wu
xwu@usc-cse.usc.edu

budd@orstcs.UUCP (04/24/87)

/* Written 11:45 pm  Apr 20, 1987 by xwu@bacall.UUCP in orstcs:comp.lang.smal */
On what machines can we run Little Smalltalk?  $30 or $25?  And where to
get the book?

Xinhua Wu
xwu@usc-cse.usc.edu
/* End of text from orstcs:comp.lang.smal */

(1) Almost anything that calls itself Unix; installation instructions give
info on getting it running on Ahmdal/sys V, Pyramid 90x/sys v, Sequent
Balance, Plexus, Tektronix 61xx, AT&T 3B2, DecPro 350 (!), HP 9000, PC/IX,
PDP 11/70 & 44, Perkin Elmer, Ridge /ROS 3.0 and of course VAX 780/4.2.
(2) As of this moment, $30.  Unfortunately, the prices for mag tapes keep
going up, we we have to keep raising our rates.  It is public domain,
however, so if you get one copy you can share it with a friend and split
the costs.
(3) Published by Addison-Wesley (ISBN 0-201-10698-1), so most good
technical bookstores should either have it or can order it.  Title, ``A
Little Smalltalk'', author, yours truly:

--tim budd

serge@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (serge) (04/28/87)

In article <245100006@orstcs> budd@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU writes:
>>/* Written 11:45 pm  Apr 20, 1987 by xwu@bacall.UUCP */
>>On what machines can we run Little Smalltalk?  $30 or $25?
>(2) As of this moment, $30.  Unfortunately, the prices for mag tapes keep
>going up, we we have to keep raising our rates.  It is public domain,
>however, so if you get one copy you can share it with a friend and split
>the costs.

	Would it then be possible to ftp it from somewhere?

						Serge
						serge@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
						...!ucbvax!serge

budd@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (05/01/87)

/* Written  3:08 pm  Apr 27, 1987 by serge@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP in orstcs:comp.lang.smal */
In article <245100006@orstcs> budd@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU writes:
>>/* Written 11:45 pm  Apr 20, 1987 by xwu@bacall.UUCP */
>>On what machines can we run Little Smalltalk?  $30 or $25?
>(2) As of this moment, $30.  Unfortunately, the prices for mag tapes keep
>going up, we we have to keep raising our rates.  It is public domain,
>however, so if you get one copy you can share it with a friend and split
>the costs.

	Would it then be possible to ftp it from somewhere?

						Serge
						serge@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
						...!ucbvax!serge
/* End of text from orstcs:comp.lang.smal */

Unfortunately, we are not on arpa net, so you can't ftp it from here.
I have no aversion to somebody else making it available, however.
If anybody wants to volunteer, please advertise the fact.
(It is, however, too large to post to mod.sources).

--tim budd  (budd@oregon-state.csnet)