[net.movies] Funniest movies

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/19/85)

After posting a suggestion to net.movies enquiring about people's funniest
movies, I received the following mail message, which I thought I should post.
I will elaborate on this message in my next article:

> Subject: Re: A suggestion
> Newsgroups: net.movies
>
> In article <16870@watmath.UUCP> you write:
> >After reading the totally bad movies list, I thought that someone should
> >start a funniest movies list.
>
> You might not get a consensus on this, because tastes vary so much.
> To make my point, I'll nominate some movies that I thought were the
> funniest I have ever seen. But if you post them, you'll probably get
> lots of mail questioning my taste.
>
> My nominees:
>
> "Airplane" was the funniest movie I have ever seen. It is probably
> 	because it is the closest thing to my bizarre sense of humour.
> 	My sister-in-law can sit through airplane and not crack a smile;
> 	she is instead quite perplexed at how anyone could find anything
> 	in that movie funny.
>
> "National Lampoon's Vacation" (Not European; the original) was the second
> 	funniest movie I have seen. I saw the cleaned-up version on TV.
> 	The funniest scene in the movie is where the cop stops Chevy
> 	Chase for dragging his dog with the car. My wife found this
> 	horrifying, but I laughed until I cried. She had not seen the
> 	movie; I was trying to describe it to her, and you just had to
> 	see the movie and see how obnoxious that little mutt was before
> 	you could really get the humour. Even then, you have to have a
> 	cruel streak, like me, in order to really appreciate it.
>
> "Airplane II" was the third funniest movie I have seen. This is probably
> 	the nomination you will get the most disagreement about. Most
> 	"Airplane" fans found the sequel inferior, and I agree, but I
> 	found it funny as well.
>
> Other nominations from RCA Cylix, taken from other workers here, show
> how diverse comedy tastes are:
>
> "Friday the 13th," and all sequels.
> "Jaws"
> "Halloween," and all sequels.
> "Murder by Death"
> "Young Frankenstein"

> Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)
>
> (The views expressed herein are the exclusive property of Dave Kirby.
> Any person, living or dead, found with the same or similar opinions
> will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.)

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/19/85)

Now let me say what I think of the message I posted previously:

In article <16915@watmath.UUCP> absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) writes:
>After posting a suggestion to net.movies enquiring about people's funniest
>movies, I received the following mail message, which I thought I should post.
>I will elaborate on this message in my next article:
>

>> In article <16870@watmath.UUCP> you write:
>> >After reading the totally bad movies list, I thought that someone should
>> >start a funniest movies list.
>>
>> You might not get a consensus on this, because tastes vary so much.
>> To make my point, I'll nominate some movies that I thought were the
>> funniest I have ever seen. But if you post them, you'll probably get
>> lots of mail questioning my taste.

It is obvious that people's tastes differ a great deal, be it funny movies
or not (or anything else other than movies for that matter).  From
the discussion on totally bad movies, for example, it seems that one's
totally bad movie is others' favorite.

>> My nominees:
>>
>> "Airplane" was the funniest movie I have ever seen. It is probably
>>
>> "National Lampoon's Vacation" (Not European; the original) was the second
>>
>> "Airplane II" was the third funniest movie I have seen. This is probably

I also thought these movies were very funny, although they are not
the funniest movies I have ever seen (I liked Vacation a lot, although
a lot of people didn't find it as funny as I did; Airplane and Airplane
II were great too).

>> Other nominations from RCA Cylix, taken from other workers here, show
>> how diverse comedy tastes are:
>>
>> "Friday the 13th," and all sequels.
>> "Jaws"
>> "Halloween," and all sequels.
>> "Murder by Death"
>> "Young Frankenstein"

Among these movies, only Young Frankenstein is a comedy (it is a rather
good one too, but not the funniest movie I have ever seen).
(I don't know if Murder by Death is a comedy or not.)

I am a bit puzzled about the others; also keep in mind that just because
a movie is so bad that it is funny, it doesn't make it the funniest movie
(at least I am hard pressed to think of such a movie for myself.)
(you really have to be a pschyco to find Friday the 13th or Halloween
funny, or even Jays - I can't remember anyone laughing when I saw Jays)

I realize that you also have to be in a certain mood to really enjoy
a funny movie; sometimes a movie seems really funny, and the next time you
see it it isn't such a big deal.  But then, this is true for other
type of movies too: the second time may give you a different
perspective.

absary@watmath.UUCP (Al Sary) (10/22/85)

Several nominations have come in for the funniest movies list, so I
decided to post my list of funniest movies; let's hope this list isn't
final. (my next posting will include a compilation of the nominees so
far).

Stripes - I was glad to see several nominations for Stripes already; this
          movie truely is hilarious, as so many of Bill Murray's movies
	  are; there are so many funny part in this movie that I won't
	  cote one here; it's definetly worth seeing

Cheech and Chong's Next Movie - (I think the spelling is right)
	  the first time I saw this movie, I couldn't stop laughing it
	  was so funny; I've seen it again since then, and the same
	  effect, though the second time was pretty soon after the first;
	  I think, surprisingly enough, this movie was the third best
	  money maker of the year it was released (1980 I think); other
	  Cheech and Chong movies don't come near this one

National Lampoon's Animal House - John Belushy (sp?) is clearly the
          funniest in this movie, but he isn't the only funny character

There are quite a few movies which I think are very funny, but don't
quite make it to my funniest list; among these is Beverly Hills Cop, in
which I thought Eddie Murphy was great, and it comes close to my funniest
list, but it is a bit too violent to really make it.

marks@yogi.DEC (10/30/85)

Well, there's funny movies and then there's funny movies.  My list would
have to include:

    Bedazzled
    Blazing Saddles
    Life of Brian
    Mr. Hulot's Holiday
    Les Comperes
    Annie Hall
    A Hard Day's Night
    Help

Clearly, funny is in the eye of the beholder.

R.M.

chris@pixutl.UUCP (chris) (10/31/85)

I vote for:

   - Play it again Sam
   - Annie Hall
   - Take the money and run
   - You can't take it with you
   - Harvey
   - The party
   - Most Marx Brothers movies (Duck Soup, Horse feathers, ...)

Chris
--

 Chris Bertin            :         (617) 933-7735 x2336
 Pixel Systems Inc.      :	   (800) 325-3342

bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) (11/02/85)

[]----

I think I've seen most of the movies that would make my "funny" list
show up someplace in this discussion, with a notable exception or two.
I'm curious ... am I the ONLY person in the world who thinks "The Ruling
Class" is a great movie.  Admittedly, it is satire done with a broadax
instead of a rapier.  Admittedly, it aims primarily at an easy target
(English nobility).  However, it is an incredible piece of black comedy.
Peter O'toole is brilliant in it, although I don't normally like him
that well (I liked "My Favorite Year".  Maybe I'm saying he should do
more comedy).  The rest of the cast is superb also.  When people start
discussing "classic" or "N best" movies, I find that most movies I really
give high ratings to have other adherents (I'm pleased to note the votes
for "Bedazzled", by the way).  This is an exception.

Once again ... am I the ONLY fan of "The Ruling Class"?

Bob McQueer
ihnp4!amdahl!rtech!bobm

"Dignity has NOTHING to do with Divinity"

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (11/04/85)

In article <721@rtech.UUCP> bobm@rtech.UUCP (Bob Mcqueer) writes:
> Once again ... am I the ONLY fan of "The Ruling Class"?

No.  It's high on my list.  I'm only hesitant because the ending is SO
painfully black.

How about "Little Murders"?  I'll never forget having to explain black
comedy and absurdism to a naive friend in college while watching this one.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

wersan@daemen.UUCP (John Slasher Wersan III) (11/05/85)

> >> My nominees:
> >>
> >> "Airplane" was the funniest movie I have ever seen. It is probably
> >>
> >> "National Lampoon's Vacation" (Not European; the original) was the second
> >>
> >> "Airplane II" was the third funniest movie I have seen. This is probably

	Now here is one I would like people to say is NOT funny....

			Animal House

	Start to finish it is all laughs (Even my mother, who NEVER
	laughs, thought this was a very funny movie)

--
          		John Wersan
UUCP : {decvax,dual,rocksanne,rocksvax}!sunybcs!daemen!wersan

	"The doctor said I had dain bramage...
	 But my friends don't know what 'dat shit is"