[net.music] I Can't Believe What I Just Read

schneider@2littl.DEC (10/03/85)

> ....Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and Kate Bush occupy all of the top
> five positions.  My three favorites!  Maybe the net has better taste
> than I had thought...

>			-Doug Alan
>			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

Is this the same Doug Alan or just one of those practical jokers?  The
Beatles in the same sentence as Kate Bush!?!  One of your three
favorites?!?!?  Is this the same person who said he hated rock 'n
roll and preferred to listen to music in a dark room with head phones?

As a side note to the posted "top" albums, I'd say that many people
vote for more recent stuff, music more in the current framework of today
and therefore the poll is slightly skewed in that direction.  It
would be interesting (and probably impossible) to conduct a
similar poll to take the "time" out of the album and see which
stand up to all time periods.  On the other hand some albums are
great because of their time period in a trend-setting sort of way.

Its also interesting to note that after glancing through the list
only about half of my own picks were chosen by others too.  I
basically restricted myself to one album per artist, yet I think
the Pink Floyd/Kate Bush skew of the poll tells me that others did
not do this as well.  I rationalized my actions by thinking that
say the Dead have earned a spot although I might listen to a certain
Lou Reed album more often than any single Dead album.

To KB fans:  BCN's Ken Shelton just played Wuthering Heights, the
first time I had heard it in years.  I for one am glad she's
dropped the falsetto.

To GD fans:  I got my tickets for the Worcester Centrum today.  See
you there.

To Music fans:  Dire Straits tomorrow night in Providence.

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-monty!dec-2littl!schneider

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/04/85)

> Daniel Schneider

> Is this the same Doug Alan or just one of those practical jokers?  The
> Beatles in the same sentence as Kate Bush!?!  One of your three
> favorites?!?!?  Is this the same person who said he hated rock 'n roll
> and preferred to listen to music in a dark room with head phones?

What's so hard to believe about me loving the Beatles?  And what's wrong
with listening to the Beatles in a dark room with headphones?  The
Beatles nearly single-handedly pulled the world out of Rock
'n Roll.  I'm not so wild about early Beatles, but starting with "Rubber
Soul" they were phenominal.  The only reason "Sargent Pepper's" wasn't
second or so on my list is because I've been listening to it since I was
four....  I was once as	much a Beatles fanatic as I now am a KB	fanatic.
In fact, until I discovered Pink Floyd, The Beatles were nearly the only
music I listened to!  For over ten years.

				"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
				 And stops my mind from wandering
				 Where it will go...."

schneider@2littl.DEC (DANIEL SCHNEIDER) (10/16/85)

>> Daniel Schneider

>> Is this the same Doug Alan or just one of those practical jokers?  The
>> Beatles in the same sentence as Kate Bush!?!  One of your three
>> favorites?!?!?  Is this the same person who said he hated rock 'n roll
>> and preferred to listen to music in a dark room with head phones?

> What's so hard to believe about me loving the Beatles?

A high percentage of the sentiments you have expressed in net.music,
especially the part about "hating Rock 'n Roll".

> And what's wrong
> with listening to the Beatles in a dark room with headphones?

The Beatles are the ANTITHESIS of bands one would listen to in a dark
room with headphones.  They were a R&R band and a SOCIAL
phenomenon.

> The Beatles nearly single-handedly pulled the world out of Rock
> 'n Roll.

Nothing could be further from the truth; the Beatles SHOWED the world
rock 'n roll.

> I'm not so wild about early Beatles, but starting with "Rubber
> Soul" they were phenominal (sic).

They were always phenomenal!  What you're really saying is that you
don't like pure pop, anybody's.  I won't take that away from you (or
try to talk you out of it), but don't try to tell me that they stopped
playing rock.  Its interesting to digress for a bit and understand why
the Beatles began to evolve from Rubber Soul on.  On one hand George
brought all of them to his/a/the (I don't know which is appropriate)
Maharishi which they all admitted had a profound effect on them
personally and musically and on the other hand, with an eye toward
Haight-Ashbury they began experimenting with psychedelic drugs.
They were ecstatic in the Haight at this point that the music that
they had formulated was now being realized in the most popular band of
the time!  If you turned on to the Beatles of the post-Rubber Soul era
you should check out those who developed Psychedelic Rock - Jefferson
Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Big Brother and the Holding
Company, Moby Grape, etc, and of course, the Grateful Dead.

> The only reason "Sargent Pepper's" wasn't
> second or so on my list is because I've been listening to it since I was
> four....

This sounds like an important reason for ranking it high on your list.
It was definitely in my top five.

> I was once as	much a Beatles fanatic as I now am a KB	fanatic.
> In fact, until I discovered Pink Floyd, The Beatles were nearly the only
> music I listened to!  For over ten years.
> 				"I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in
> 				 And stops my mind from wandering
> 				 Where it will go...."
> 				Doug Alan
> 				 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

		"She said 'I know what its like to be dead.
		 I know how it feels to be sad.
		 And your making me feel like I've never been born.'"

		Daniel Schneider
		{decvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-2littl!schneider

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/17/85)

> A high percentage of the sentiments you have expressed in net.music,
> especially the part about "hating Rock 'n Roll".

I said that I didn't like "Rock 'n Roll", not that I didn't like "Rock".
But some people say that some of the music I like, like the VU, are Rock
'n Roll.  So maybe I should change that to say that I don't like
mainstream Rock 'n Roll.  I don't think I can say that I don't like
mainstream Rock (even though most of it is pretty awful), since The
Beatles are now considered mainstream....

> The Beatles are the ANTITHESIS of bands one would listen to in a dark
> room with headphones.  They were a R&R band and a SOCIAL phenomenon.

Early Beatles, maybe.  Psychedelic period Beatles is *perfect* for that.

>> The Beatles nearly single-handedly pulled the world out of Rock
>> 'n Roll.

> Nothing could be further from the truth; the Beatles SHOWED the world
> rock 'n roll.

The Beatles didn't invent Rock and Roll -- they invented "Rock".  Rock
and Roll existed long before The Beatles.

>> The only reason "Sargent Pepper's" wasn't second or so on my list is
>> because I've been listening to it since I was four....

> This sounds like an important reason for ranking it high on your list.
> It was definitely in my top five.

Well, I took the question to mean "What are my current favorites?"  Not,
"Which have had the biggest influence on me?"  In any case, it was in my
top ten even though I haven't listened to it for a long time.

				"Goo goo ga joob"

				 Doug Alan
				  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

lp102911@sjuvax.UUCP (palena) (10/22/85)

In article <115@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:

        (in other,rather famous,words;here he goes again!!)

>> A high percentage of the sentiments you have expressed in net.music,
>> especially the part about "hating Rock 'n Roll".
>
>I said that I didn't like "Rock 'n Roll", not that I didn't like "Rock".

        ...ah,any moron could see that distinction....

>But some people say that some of the music I like, like the VU, are Rock
>'n Roll.  So maybe I should change that to say that I don't like
>mainstream Rock 'n Roll.  I don't think I can say that I don't like
>mainstream Rock (even though most of it is pretty awful), since The
>Beatles are now considered mainstream....

      ...well,you know what they say about life being rough all over.
    But you know,I've never encountered a person who equates music with
    genre so heavily,and then actually judges it by the company it keeps.
    Face it pal;you like what you like,whether it's called art-rock or
    schlock-rock or sex-rock or rocks in Madonna's bra...

>> The Beatles are the ANTITHESIS of bands one would listen to in a dark
>> room with headphones.  They were a R&R band and a SOCIAL phenomenon.

     ...four good hits of LSD and the Carpenters are an excellent band to
    listen to in a dark room with headphones...

>Early Beatles, maybe.  Psychedelic period Beatles is *perfect* for that.

         ...you should hear what Frank Zappa has to say about the Beatles'
     "perfect" psychedelic music on the album "We're Only in It for the
     Money". I think the best quote is;"Is this phase one of lumpy gravy?"...

>>> The Beatles nearly single-handedly pulled the world out of Rock

         ...well,you must admit there were actually eight hands involved...

>>> 'n Roll.
>
>> Nothing could be further from the truth; the Beatles SHOWED the world
>> rock 'n roll.
>
>The Beatles didn't invent Rock and Roll -- they invented "Rock".  Rock
>and Roll existed long before The Beatles.

      ...gee,I wonder who invented semantics...

>>> The only reason "Sargent Pepper's" wasn't second or so on my list is
>>> because I've been listening to it since I was four....
>
>> This sounds like an important reason for ranking it high on your list.
>> It was definitely in my top five.

       ...there's a certain degree of ambiguity here.Do you mean your
       first five years of life?...

>Well, I took the question to mean "What are my current favorites?"  Not,
>"Which have had the biggest influence on me?"  In any case, it was in my
>top ten even though I haven't listened to it for a long time.
>
>				"Goo goo ga joob"
>
>				 Doug Alan

            ...you know,that's the best lyric quote you've ever given.
            Well,at least the most meaningful...

                                  Just another ...etc.,

                                     Larry Palena,
                                     lp102911@sjuvax

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (10/24/85)

>>> A high percentage of the sentiments you have expressed in net.music,
>>> especially the part about "hating Rock 'n Roll".

>>I said that I didn't like "Rock 'n Roll", not that I didn't like "Rock".
>>  [NESSUS]

>         ...ah,any moron could see that distinction....

Except one, apparently.  I wouldn't expect a diehard Zeppelin groupie who
knows nothing but "ooh, yeah,  ooh-ooh yeah" to acknowledge or even be
aware of any distinction.  Mr. Palena, yourknowledge of other forms of
music beyond your sacred little walls is pretty limited.  Who are you to judge?

>       ...well,you know what they say about life being rough all over.
>     But you know,I've never encountered a person who equates music with
>     genre so heavily,and then actually judges it by the company it keeps.
>     Face it pal;you like what you like,whether it's called art-rock or
>     schlock-rock or sex-rock or rocks in Madonna's bra...

You haven't?  Look in a mirror, my friend.

>>> The Beatles are the ANTITHESIS of bands one would listen to in a dark
>>> room with headphones.  They were a R&R band and a SOCIAL phenomenon.

>      ...four good hits of LSD and the Carpenters are an excellent band to
>     listen to in a dark room with headphones...

I wouldn't doubt that you know this from experience.

>>> This sounds like an important reason for ranking it high on your list.
>>> It was definitely in my top five.

>        ...there's a certain degree of ambiguity here.Do you mean your
>        first five years of life?...

Boy, you sure have a lot of good things to say, don't you?  Yet you have
the nerve to complain about other people posting things seriously related
to music!

>>				"Goo goo ga joob"

>             ...you know,that's the best lyric quote you've ever given.
>             Well,at least the most meaningful...

To your ears, I'm sure it is.  ("Hey diddle diddle, cat and the fiddle,
piggy in the middle, do a poo-poo", as you have so eloquently done...)
--
Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
					Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

schneider@2littl.DEC (10/31/85)

[Oh geez!  I was away for a while, and in the meantime some Led Zeppelin
 fan (with a sense of humor) took his sword out against Doug Alan, and
 Rich Rosen (who forgot his sense of humor ... except for the Odd Couple
 quotes) started screaming bloody murder about Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin
 and narrow viewpoints.  I, on the other hand, would like to continue the
 DISCUSSION which started all this and in a way apologize for the
 mud-slinging it precipitated.  -DS]

[Doug - you have the habit here of leaving out lots of stuff which seems
 pretty important to the context.  I suggest you be more forgiving to
 those who don't make it their business to remember every previous written
 word on a subject.]

[To fill in context: Doug was wondering what he had done to make me think
 he wasn't a fan of the Beatles.]

ME>> A high percentage of the sentiments you have expressed in net.music,
>> especially the part about "hating Rock 'n Roll".

DOUG> I said that I didn't like "Rock 'n Roll", not that I didn't like "Rock".

You said "I hate rock 'n roll".  My assumption was that this includes
the Beatles, but excludes "art" rock.  But now you say "Rock" doesn't
mean rock 'n roll.  This inventing of semantics on the fly makes it
one tough term to nail down.

> But some people say that some of the music I like, like the VU, are Rock
> 'n Roll.  So maybe I should change that to say that I don't like
> mainstream Rock 'n Roll.  I don't think I can say that I don't like
> mainstream Rock (even though most of it is pretty awful), since The
> Beatles are now considered mainstream....

I think you have a contempt for music which  is too popular or (oh, how
shall I put it?) "pop" music.  Eh?  But of course it pays never to be
too adamant and leave room for exceptions, doesn't it?

[Doug has expressed a preference for music which is designed to be listened
 to in a dark room with headphones.]

ME (again)>> The Beatles are the ANTITHESIS of bands one would listen to in
>>a dark room with headphones.  They were a R&R band and a SOCIAL phenomenon.

> Early Beatles, maybe.  Psychedelic period Beatles is *perfect* for that.

For you maybe, but that's not what the Beatles were into doing.  I also
have, of course, listened in solitude, but the fact remains they were in a
period of Social experimentation and were "turning on".

DOUG>>> The Beatles nearly single-handedly pulled the world out of Rock
>>> 'n Roll.

>> Nothing could be further from the truth; the Beatles SHOWED the world
>> rock 'n roll.

> The Beatles didn't invent Rock and Roll -- they invented "Rock".  Rock
> and Roll existed long before The Beatles.

This neither addresses my point or makes much sense if you don't include
the definition you so recently bestowed on the term "Rock".  In my
vernacular, Rock is a shortening of the term Rock 'n Roll.  (Can
anybody just here Johnny Winter shouting that, and not think it the
perfect term?)

DOUG>>> The only reason "Sargent Pepper's" wasn't second or so on my list is
>>> because I've been listening to it since I was four....

>> This sounds like an important reason for ranking it high on your list.
>> It was definitely in my top five.

> Well, I took the question to mean "What are my current favorites?"  Not,
> "Which have had the biggest influence on me?"  In any case, it was in my
> top ten even though I haven't listened to it for a long time.

Fair enough.  Its  interesting that I probably haven't played it in a while
also, and when I do play Beatles these days its usually the White Album.
But when it came time to choose THE Beatles album there was no doubt it
was Sgt. Pepper's.

For the aforementioned Zeppelin fan:  Hey!  I chose Who's Next as #1, buddy.
LZ didn't make my top ten, although I gave LZ I due consideration.

For Rich Rosen: "I dig noise. I dig sound. I dig all music, bumps, screams.
But this has brought me down.  I haven't been this far down since 1957!"

		"And though the news was rather sad,
		 Well I just had to laugh..."