[comp.lang.smalltalk] request for info on Smalltalk-80 implementations

kusalik@sask.UUCP (Tony Kusalik) (06/10/87)

We are looking for a version of Smalltalk-80 for
SUN-3's.  We have contacted Berkeley about BSII,
but the blurb that came back states
	"It [BSII] has not been updated to run on SUN 3 or to run
	under the X window system, although others have made these
	changes"

Anyone know who these "others" might be? I.e.
can anyone out there point me in the direction of
a Smalltalk-80 system for SUN-3's?

The Berkeley blurb mentions a SUN implementation done
by L. Peter Deutsch and Allan M. Schiffman.  Does anyone
know of addresses (Email or snail-mail) for them?

	Tony Kusalik
	 kusalik@sask.bitnet
	 ...!{ihnp4,alberta}!sask!kusalik

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (06/26/87)

In article 144 in comp.lang.smalltalk Tony Kusalik writes:
>We are looking for a version of Smalltalk-80 for SUN-3's.  We have contacted
>Berkeley about BSII, but the blurb that came back states
>        "It [BSII] has not been updated to run on SUN 3 or to run
>        under the X window system, although others have made these changes"
>Anyone know who these "others" might be? I.e. can anyone out there point me
>in the direction of a Smalltalk-80 system for SUN-3's?
>The Berkeley blurb mentions a SUN implementation done by L. Peter Deutsch
>and Allan M. Schiffman.  Does anyone know of addresses [...] for them?

Peter and Allan both work for ParcPlace Systems, here in Palo Alto.
We are currently shipping Smalltalk for Sun workstations, and intend to
shortly release Smalltalk for Apple Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, and
Macintosh II machines (and some other machines as well... but I cannot
go into details).

I use our Smalltalk on a Sun-3/140, and find it a very pleasant environment for
graphics algorithm development. As an old line UNIX/C hacker who has spent
the last four months diving into Smalltalk, I must say that it has completely
seduced me!

Rob Tow
ParcPlace Systems
2400 Geng Road
Palo Alto CA. 94303
415-859-1000

ARPANet:    tow@ParcPlace.com
USENET:     ...!{ucbvax, allegra, seismo, pyramid, decvax}!sun!pplace!tow