[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk on a Mac?

johnt@mmintl.UUCP (John Tangney) (06/24/87)

Does anyone know if Smalltalk exists on the Mac?  Or any other Object
Oriented language, for that matter...  (I've heard of Classcal (or whatever)
-- does it support dynamic binding, etc?)

TIA
John Tangney			...{inhp4!pwa-b, ashtate}!mmint!johnt
52 Oakland Ave, East Hartford, CT 06108		(203) 522-2116

jordan@apple.UUCP (Jordan Mattson) (06/26/87)

Follow up on Smalltalk and Object Orientied Programming on the Macintosh:

	Apple ships through APDA a level one Smalltalk interperter with 16 bit
pointers.  It is an experimental version, and is unsupported by Apple.  Also, it
has a very un-Macintosh like user interface.
	Object Pascal is the object orientied version of Pascal defined by
Apple's ATG (Advanced Technology Group) and Wirth.  It is implemented in our
MPW Pascal compiler.  If you look at MPW Pascal, you should look at MacApp, our
library of Macintosh Application Objects, for developing Macintosh applications.
	Also, Corral Software has an Object Logo and LISP with Object Orientied
features available.
	Hope this helps you sort it all out!

--

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   ucbvax!mtxinu!apple!jordan
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (06/26/87)

In article <2213@mmintl.UUCP> johnt@mmintl.UUCP (John Tangney) writes:

>Does anyone know if Smalltalk exists on the Mac?  Or any other Object
>Oriented language, for that matter...  (I've heard of Classcal (or whatever)
>-- does it support dynamic binding, etc?)

ParcPlace Systems intends to release Smalltalk for the Macintosh Plus, SE,
and II machines (and others) shortly.  We currently are shipping Smalltalk for
SUN workstations. I really cannot say much more at this time...

Rob Tow
ParcPlace Systems
2400 Geng Road
Palo Alto CA. 94303
ARPANet:    tow@ParcPlace.com
USENET:     ...!{ucbvax, allegra, seismo, pyramid, decvax}!sun!pplace!tow

budd@orstcs.cs.ORST.EDU (07/03/87)

There is an excellent book entitled:

	Object-Oriented Programming for the Macintosh
	Kurt J. Schmucker
	Hayden Book Company
	ISBN 0-8104-6565-5

It discusses Object Pascal, Smalltalk, Clascal, Neon, ExperCommonLISP,
Object Assembler, Object Logo, Objective-C, and the MacApp library.

(It is so good that I still haven't returned the copy I borrowed from
Ted Lewis more than six months ago!)