[comp.lang.smalltalk] SMALLTALK on Atari - How about Amiga?

craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) (07/18/87)

Since there's a PD Smalltalk for Atari, I wonder if there's a similar
implementation for the Amiga, or at least sources in some common language
such as C available.  Any word from those who ported the Atari version?

With hardware graphics support, a blitter, etc., plus the ability to support
8 meg of RAM or so, the Amiga would make a great low-end Smalltalk engine.

With 640x400 32-levels-of-grayscale (or color, if you can handle the flicker
and the bucks) support on the Amiga 500, one ought finally to be able to
wean the home hackers off of BASIC (icch).

hmm@laura.UUCP (Martin Mosner) (07/19/87)

In article <793@unicus.UUCP> craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) writes:

>Since there's a PD Smalltalk for Atari, I wonder if there's a similar
>implementation for the Amiga, or at least sources in some common language
>such as C available.  Any word from those who ported the Atari version?

The Little Smalltalk system is written in C, as far as I know.  I have
seen it on an Amiga at the Hannover fair where we showed our port, and
I was not so impressed.  I did not have the time to dig into it, though.
The guy at the Commodore booth who showed it to me did not have a manual,
so I could not examine the predefined classes & methods.  But it looked
as if there were some nice things missing, like the Fraction & LargeInteger
classes.  I don't remember how complete the Collection classes were.

ParcPlace Systems Smalltalk-80 (the real thing) could be ported to the
Amiga quite easily, though (about 1 week to get a first version running).
I don't know if it's in the works somewhere.

>With hardware graphics support, a blitter, etc., plus the ability to support
>8 meg of RAM or so, the Amiga would make a great low-end Smalltalk engine.

Yup, but Little Smalltalk did not use all that fancy stuff.  Text only...

>With 640x400 32-levels-of-grayscale (or color, if you can handle the flicker
>and the bucks) support on the Amiga 500, one ought finally to be able to
>wean the home hackers off of BASIC (icch).
You should try to contact Professor Timothy Budd, who is the author
of Little Smalltalk.  I think if someone puts some work into a windowing
interface and adds the missing classes, it could be a nice system.
I don't know Mr. Budds address, but as far as I know, he's at the
University of Arizona.  Good luck !

Disclaimer:  All I know about Little Smalltalk is from the 10-minute
experience at the Hannover fair.  It's quite possible that the system
is far more complete by now...

	Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm@unido.uucp> <hmm@unido.bitnet>
	University of Dortmund

laukee@mimsy.UUCP (David Laukee) (07/20/87)

In article <793@unicus.UUCP> craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) writes:

>Since there's a PD Smalltalk for Atari, I wonder if there's a similar
>implementation for the Amiga, or at least sources in some common language
>such as C available.

I know of at least one 'portable' Smalltalk implementation available.  So
far versions have been ported to ICL perq, Whitechapel MG1, Sun 3 (and I
believe an Atari version is on the way).  It's called 'BrouHaHa' and you
can hear all about it at OOPSLA'87. Maybe Eliot will read this and decide
to post more information himself. (You can thank me later Eliot :->.)

Dave Laukee

usually: laukee@uk.ac.york.minster