[comp.lang.smalltalk] Smalltalk on ST

hmm@laura.irb.informatik (Martin Mosner) (07/07/87)

(this has been in comp.sys.atari.st, but I think it's of interest for
 comp.lang.smalltalk readers, too)

In article <3987@utai.UUCP> jpierre@utai.UUCP writes:

>I asked a couple of weeks ago whether or not Smalltalk was available for
>the ST. It turns out that some people at a university in Germany have
>ported Smalltalk 80 to a 4meg ST. BUT... the software is not ready for
>release and will probably be expensive. Alternatives at this time include
>trying to run Smalltalk 80 on the Magic Sac and Smalltalk/V on the vaporous
>IBM emulator. I haven't tried it yet...

Basically, that's right.  However...
1. the software will be released in July for Germany.  I will post the prices
   as soon as I know them.
2. As far as I know, Apple Smalltalk does not run on the Sac.  Even if it
   does, it's a rather old version of the image and known to be quite slow.
   I don't know if the ParcPlace Systems version for the Mac will run on
   the Sac, but it will be comparable to the Atari version in terms of
   speed and price, so what ?
3. Iff you have that vaporous IBM emulator, feel free to run Smalltalk/V
   on it...  But I don't believe that this emulator will be more than an
   8088 with 4.77 MHz clock, and those machines are painfully slow. :-)

>Finally, Smalltalk/V seems to be the choice of many with IBM ATs but I
>don't expect Digitalk to bother implementing for the st when the more
>attractive market of Suns and Mac2s is completly open to them (to the best
>of my knowledge).
From our experience with the Atari port I can say that it's normally quite
easy to move such a program between various 68K machines.  Iff Digitalk
does a 68K implementation at all, it probably will be done for the Atari, too.
After all, the Atari is the machine where the hardware cost matches the
software cost best.

>Jean-Pierre Corriveau
>Dept. of Computer Science
>University of Toronto, Toronto
>CANADA M5S 1A4

As I said, I will keep the net informed about that stuff...

	Hans-Martin Mosner
	hmm@unido.uucp, hmm@unido.bitnet

grieggs@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (John T. Grieggs) (07/21/87)

I recieved several queries as a result of my posting on Smalltalk for
the ST, and decided to take care of them all at once.  The program in
question is a port of "Little Smalltalk" from the Amiga.  The person
who did the port is (from the README) Dave Clevans.  It lives in an
ARC about 200K long, which also contains one other ARC.  Once I obtain
a copy of the DUMAS UUENCODE over here in ARPA-land, I will be glad
to encode the thing and post it, if there is still interest.

_john

--
John T. Grieggs (Telos @ Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Ca. 91109 M/S 301-260A    (818) 354-0465